Homeβ€Ί General Training Discussions

modifications to run durability

Hello, just thought I would get the thoughts of the group....

I've been doing the run durability program (trying to be diligent.....) and am running into the following issue

my week totals (mileage) have been

26.x, 25.0, 25.3, 25.8, 15.4, 20.0 for the last 6 weeks.after the first 4 of keeping up with 25/week I kinda started to breakdown.... nothing serious but was noticing that I could run at all with out just hurting/aching... like all over my lower extremities especially joint interfaces/tendon insertions (not so much muscle belly soreness). couple this with the fact that my pace was getting progressively slower with my longer runs and I actually kind of felt like I was losing ground. Couple of recent changes were that I moved from Los Angeles where my running was mostly pretty flat/good weather to Nasvhille TN where if I run outside I'm kinda going up or down and not really flat, and I've been doing more treadmill running 2/2 rainy/cold conditions ( i know.... a whimp :) Also last year (my first legitish training year) almost all my running was kinda zone 1/TRP steady state and this year I have been trying to stick to the prescribed hill sessions, stride sessions, tempo sessions... At this point I am wondering about the best strategy for managing the more intense sessions- would you integrate more mid-speed tempo type works and back off on the stride/interval stuff or keep the intense sessions but back off on some of the mid range stuff (and thus likely lower overall mileage a bit....) Planning on keeping the long steady run stable as have an March marathon I'm prepping for before triathlon season starts (which is by far the primary goal this season....)

thanks for your thoughts and happy holidays!

Naftali

Comments

• Last year, a number of people doing Run Durability were impressed with how well they performed in actual running races or triathlon run legs doing "pure" run durability - meaning NOTHING harder/faster than Z2, almost all Z1. And without much in the way of longer runs.

EG, Shaughn Simmons had a HIM run leg PR on no interval/speed work, and I had a superb Turkey Trot 5K from just running 3-4 miles a day for 100 days. You are still early into serious run training, and IMO it's better to opt for less-is-more when it comes to intensity/interval/Z3-4-5. Strides @ the end of a run 3 x a week will do wonders @ this stage, without risking making that tendonitis worse.

• +2 on what @Al Truscott said. I built up from NOTHING after my bike crash in june, running only a couple of 10 milers as part of the NOS, I did a PR setting for my adult life, 5k turkey trot. Also, on mostly volume in 2017 I ran a PR IM Marathon, my only sub 4 one at 3:47 in lake placid. As @Coach Patrick has said to me: "Every run counts."

• "26.x, 25.0, 25.3, 25.8, 15.4, 20.0 for the last 6 weeks.after the first 4 of keeping up with 25/week I kinda started to breakdown.... nothing serious but was noticing that I could run at all with out just hurting/aching... like all over my lower extremities especially joint interfaces/tendon insertions (not so much muscle belly soreness). couple this with the fact that my pace was getting progressively slower with my longer runs and I actually kind of felt like I was losing ground.Β "

@Naftali Presser besides what Al and the Hoff suggested, I would also look into your equipment. I don't think that runners toss running shoes as often as they should. Most of our shoes breakdown WAY before they look like they are done. In fact most of my road shoes get retired and still look pretty new. I don't keep mile logs on each shoe, but when I start to get weird aches and pains on regular routes with regular speeds it is one on the places I look.

Hope my .02 cents helps πŸ˜€

• Thanks again @Al Truscott , @scott dinhofer and @Patrick Large as always for your thoughts.... looks like we will be backing off on the intensity stuff in interest of getting in the miles/sessions.... also just changed the shoes yesterday so if that is contributing hopefully this will help...

NP

• @Naftali Presser give us an update in a few weeks, would love to hear how you are coming along.h