Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

Tim Sullivan’s Bandera 100K Race Report – this is the most grueling race I've done, so hard

This is my third ultra, and longest to date. Even though I ran a 50 miler a couple months ago on nearly the same course, this one was harder than any I have done. This ultra also had largest field.

This is the description from the website –

One of the toughest trail runs in Texas, as well as the oldest 100km.

Max Runners: 900 Total, No more than 400 for any one of the 3 distances

No whiners, wimps, or wusses. 

A trail of rugged and brutal beauty where everything cuts, stings or bites.

Once again, we are proud to be a Western States Golden Ticket race!

Top two men and women in Bandera 100km will be offered an opportunity to register for 2019 Western States

As this race is a golden ticket race, and a Western States qualifier (if you finish under 17 hours), it was a full race with people from all around the country. I met runners from Maine, California, New York, Florida, …. The people I met were all very friendly. It’s very easy to meet new people at ultras, and I typically meet at least one I keep in contact with.

I signed up for this race in my continuing quest to learn how to run Ultras. This race provided me with the most learning of the ultras I have run so far. I think I learned more from this race because 62 miles is much different from 50 miles or shorter distances.

Summary: 100K (62 miles) trail race – about 7,100 ft of elevation gain – super rocky

Total time 16:35 – this is 4:12 longer than my 50-mile race on same course just to cover 12 extra miles (ouch)

Lap 1 – 6:46:28

Lap 2 – 9:48:52

Finished 165th, 7th in my division

This race had about 100 DNFs.

Training:

I had a run streak of 474 days going into this race. Most runs during my streak are easy, but I also have some “fast” runs as well. I focused on trail runs that were similar to the terrain I would face during this race. I generally followed the 50-mile Ultra plan but did not have the time during the day to do the super long back to back runs. What I did instead was to bike really hard for 2-3 hours and then do a long run of about 20 miles. This got me done earlier in the day.

Here are a couple charts. The peaks are before Rattler, my BQ race, the 50-mile Cactus Rose, and this 100k race.

RACE GOALS

My goals for the race were to finish and not fade as much as I did in the 50-miler. My overall plan was to start easier than I did in the 50-mile race. I would take the uphills slow (walk usually), and run conservatively on the runnable sections.

I was also going to drink to thirst (which I always have done), take electrolyte (salt tabs) and make sure I eat something at least every hour.

RACE DAY

The trail race is normally held in Bandera, which is outside of San Antonio. This year, the race got moved about 60 miles further West a week before due to wet conditions. When I saw the email stating the location change, I was thinking to myself “not again, that course is so rocky and hard”. The course is harder and slower than the Bandera course. Lots of up and downs, and lots and lots of rocks.  It’s a great venue for a race, but really hard in my opinion.  Here is a chart showing elevation, HR, and temperature.

The race start was moved to 8AM so I decided to drive the 3 hours from my house in Austin the morning of the race. This worked out well because I like getting up early for races anyway. I woke up at about 3AM and had a smoothie, coffee, and some yogurt. I drove, stopped for more coffee, and I had about an hour before the race when I got to the venue. I had time to walk around and also go to the bathroom.

This race had 900 people running between from 25k to 100k. There were about 400 running the 100k with some pro runners that are insanely fast. I honestly don’t know how they can run as fast as they do on hard terrain.

All the racers running the 100k started together and the other distances started later. I ran with a Nathan vest that had a 2L bladder filled with tailwind supplied by the course. I used tailwind for the entire 16+ hours. I switched to caffeinated tailwind at about the 10-hour mark. The aid stations were about 5-7 miles apart, so I figure I drank about 12-14 liters during the race. At the aid stations, I would eat some PBJ sandwich sections, grab a couple gels, and maybe eat something else like Pringles, or cookies. Between aid stations, I would swallow a SaltStick capsules, and take one gel. I also had Ramen and broth during the evening. All supplied by the course. My nutrition seemed really good for the entire run.

I started off in the middle and stayed in the middle of the pack.  I thought I was being conservative, but in truth I was running too fast for what I am capable of handling over 100k. When I looked at my 25-mile split, I thought to myself “oh no, I am only 10 minutes slower than the 50-mile race, and I have 37 more miles to go!”. The race was a lot of single track that was very rocky (big and small rocks) that made each step challenging. There was more jeep road on this 30-mile loop compared to the 25-mile loop which made it slightly easier. The jeep roads were still very rocky and you had to pay attention.

The race was 2 loops of 30 miles. Each of the 30-mile loops were split into basically 3 mini loops. There was an aid station about every 5-7 miles that had anything you needed. You could leave drop bags. I left a single drop bag at an aid station that you pass a few times during each 30-mile loop. I only accessed it to grab my waist lamp.

The weather started out in the 30s and got to about 84 around 2pm. The sun started setting at around 5pm so I grabbed my light when I was into the second loop at about the 36 mile point.

This race was crowded for about the first 10 or so miles. After that, the course actually became somewhat lonely for sections. For the first 10 miles, I just followed the people in front of me. It seemed slow to me at the time, but looking back now, I should have gone slower. I looked at my Stryd to see my power and I wasn’t too concerned because it was always around my TRP power or even lower. I know better now, a 100k race is NOT the same as a 50 mile or shorter race. Those extra 12 miles REALLY make a difference. My HR also got to the 155-160 range at points, which at the time I didn’t consider too high, but now I do. I was able to keep my HR at around 155 for 12 hours during the 50 mile race, but it wasn’t going to happen for 62 miles.

I felt decent but not great coming into the halfway point at 31 miles. I would have been happy stopping at this point. After all, that would be a decent 31 mile run :) The halfway point was where the spectators were located so it was nice to get back there. I stopped for a about 10 minutes and got some food and drank a cold brew coffee which was really good. I also started the second loop with a runner who I was running a lot of the first loop with. I did not know his name at that point because he was following me most of the time and listening to headphones. I did end up talking with him a bunch on the second loop.

After my rest break, I was off again. I started the second loop much slower than the first loop. I did not really feel like running knowing that I still had 31 miles to go.  I figured, this feeling would change and I would want to run harder later. I may have pushed harder later in the race, but I definitely was NOT running faster. It was really hard convincing myself to run, but I tried to at least get my cadence to a run cadence on the flatter and downhill portions of the course. Even though my pace doesn’t look like I was running, I actually was : ) I felt tired for most of this second loop.

As it started to get dark, I was thinking that it was going to suck to run in the dark. I was wrong. I actually enjoyed it. I couldn’t see the nasty terrain coming my way. I only could focus on the 10 yards in front of me and putting one foot down and then the next.  I didn’t even use headphones at any point of the race. I usually listen for at least a few hours.

I kept thinking to myself just keep moving forward and make your slow miles not super slow. I wanted to finish before 17 hours to qualify to be entered into a lottery for Western States. Running a 100 miles just seems stupid to me at this point, but I will sign up anyway. I am running Leadville later this year, so why not try to get into a second one. Makes sense to me.

Those last 25 miles were tough and slow. Walking and running was hard, so I figured I might as well run (at least have a run cadence) when I could. At mile 59, I decided to walk it in. I tried to run a few times during that stretch, but it just didn’t feel worth the risk of falling or tweaking some muscle to save 15-20 minutes. That was a long hour of walking.  I didn’t even run through the chute. It was a long race overall, but I got a really cool belt buckle which made it all worthwhile. If I got a virtual trophy that would even be better : )

I was very tired after this race and sat in front of a space heater for over an hour, until about 2AM. I ate some Ramen noodles and talked with a few people during this time. I then walked to my van, heated it up, and went to sleep.  I didn’t even change.

Lessons Learned

A 100k race is NOT the same as a 50 miler (at least for me). After the race, several experienced ultra-runners told me that you have to pace a 100k differently from a 50 miler. It seems to make sense to me now. After all, a marathon is much different than a half marathon, and 12 miles after already running 50 miles is significant. So what do I do with this information? Well, my first thoughts are to limit my pace by HR (keep lower than 150) or cap by power. Another option is to get more fit at running super long distances. I don’t see getting more long distance running as reality at this point, so I will stick to the first two options.

At this point, I think I can race a 40 miler and compete and I can fake my way at running hard in a 50 miler.

My nutrition plan works. It’s really simple. Eat stuff every hour even if you don’t want it, drink frequently, take extra salt, and eat a bunch when you get to aid stations.

For my 100 coming up, I need to spend even more time on the trail near me. Instead of running the loop 3 times, I need to run it 6 times during the day. Probably split it into different parts of the day.

I think running after cycling was helpful. I will keep doing that because I do not want to become just a runner. I also think the feeling of running after a hard-cycling session is the same as running on tired legs. I may also do something like riding 100 miles and then running 20 or so miles on a trail in the same day.

Running everyday (even really easy runs) has helped me significantly. One of the most major ways it has helped me is in durability. Even though I am sore after this run, I am not near as sore as after my first IM marathon. I think the daily running as strengthened all the connective muscles and tendons. My shins used to hurt after long runs. Now my legs are just generally sore. That said, I decided to call it quits on my run streak of 476 days. Even though I could have continued the run streak (I felt good enough for a couple really slow miles), I just don’t think it’s going to gain me anything. I will take a few days off from running and then start running again. But probably 5-6 days a week instead of 7. Thanks everyone for the encouragement during the streak.

As a side note, I ran in 2XU lite compression tights. I had no chafing and I think they were helpful for recovery. I have no evidence of this, just my thoughts. I only did a couple runs in tights before this race, but it seemed to work well.

Being on my feet for 16+ hours also had other side effects. I had some slight swelling by my ankles for a few days (still there somewhat). I am also more tired in general. I go from feeling good, to feeling tired for no particular reason.

Here are some data charts

Stryd can't load runs over 8 hours currently, so I couldn't put in the data directly from the Stryd website. These do show power.

Here are some pictures of the run

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    edited January 8, 2019 5:37PM

"A 100k race is NOT the same as a 50 miler (at least for me). After the race, several experienced ultra-runners told me that you have to pace a 100k differently from a 50 miler."

You chose an unusually difficult 100K race and really had no way of knowing what was in front of you until you completed that first loop. Rattler will be a cake walk for you. You will feel better about your next adventure several days from now as you begin to absorb this mad fitness you just built.

You put yourself out there in an extremely difficult situation and with no option to quit. That made you dig deeper than you planned and you will be smarter, stronger and much better prepared for what lies ahead because of it.

You need a couple of weeks of no structure, rest, doing whatever you want to do whether it be having fun on Zwift, walking, hanging with the kids, eating queso, harassing the Rattler gang, etc. Very high level of fatigue that needs time to be absorbed both physically and mentally.

Sincere congratulations on this major accomplishment brobeans!

SS

• Options

@Tim Sullivan - Such an amazing accomplishment! Thanks for sharing such a detailed race report!

You really make we want to go buy a van 😀. I love the rule "No whiners, wimps, or wusses." 100 DNFs says you need to be mentally tough to complete that 100K!

Your said "What I did instead was to bike really hard for 2-3 hours and then do a long run of about 20 miles." I know this is not easy. I did 1/3 of a hang on ride last Saturday and then did a long run. I really struggled with the long run after the bike. It may have been better to give it more time between the 2 sessions. I remember you doing a 20 miler a few weeks ago after some intense bike sessions. I just think its incredible you are able to do that.

You said "Running a 100 miles just seems stupid to me at this point, but I will sign up anyway." This is why we say WWTSD! Yes, it does seem stupid!

Congratulations on such an amazing accomplishment! I look forward to following your adventures to Leadville and Western States!

• Options

@Tim Sullivan Nice job getting it done. Training mileage and PMC charts show nice logical progression. Nutrition for 16hr check. Right on course for Leadville :-) Careful what you wish for you may just get into WS !

• Options

@Tim Sullivan great work on what sounded like a brutal course. Thanks for the detail in the report. All the Ultra EN guys are writing the "EN Ultra Bible". Thanks for being a consistent contributor.

• Options

@Tim Sullivan great race and great report ! I enjoyed reading it. Nice to see you progress so we can learn and not do the same mistake and take what you did good at it. Also so jealous of you being able to run those distances in January, life is not fair =)

Few comments/questions - nothing critical here, just throwing ideas so we can all discuss and get our head around it

1) Would the use of poles to help you at the start of the race and the end helped ? My question is that if you can use upper body to help you climb instead of legs, then maybe would have more power in the legs at the hand ? Graph show some climbing

2) Do you think you should have change shoes somewhere in the race so your feet feel "fresh" and mentally kick you and have you keep running at the end ? I believe in some little things like that might mentally you believe that you are on a new day and can help.

3) I know you ran everyday, but do you think that by not doing very much long run back to back (over 26 mile per run) could have helped ? My question is that yes you get good fitness from the bike and running everyday but that doesnt equal to time on your feet, which seems to maybe something you lacked base on your RR

4) Afterwards, do you think you switched to caffeine too early in the race and could have keep it until you really see the drop around mile 50 ?

great job again! yolo

• Options

Congrats on another BAMF performance! I loved the narrative of your report and it's been a hoot watching your journey!

Somehow I've never done a 100k, although I planned to fix that in April with Zion 100k. It seems like a tricky distance. On a technical course like Bandera, I'm thinking the pacing strategy would be more similar to a 100 than a 50. I've heard the strategy for a 100 expressed something like, "for every minute you spend in Z4 in the first half, you will puke that many times during the second half." In other words, go stoopid easy. I think you can risk burning some matches in a 50 and just suffer through the last few miles.

One question/comment is about your HR. Hitting 155 seems really high for an ultra. You might be one of those guys like @tim cronk and @Peter Noyes that just has a really high max heart rate. I tend to fall pretty close to the formula of 220-age. For a 100, my goal is to stay at our below MAF pretty much 99% of the race. For me, that's about 142. I might let it creep up a bit higher for a short duration on a climb. My average HR usually ends up in the 130s. With all the durability running you've done as part of your streak, I'll wager you've become highly MAF adapted and could go steady all day if you stay in the MAF range.

Did you use poles? I think they are crucial the longer you go. I target that I'm applying 20-25 pounds of force with each pole to take the pressure off my legs. I was still able to run at the end of Wasatch, I think in part because I used poles, while most other athletes shuffled or walked. You'll want poles for Leadville, especially Hope Pass.

Congrats again!

• Options

Thanks @Shaughn Simmons @Brian Hagan @tim cronk

@Francis Picard thanks for the comments/questions. There was lots of climbing but it was fairly short in duration. I saw some people with poles, but not many. I had poles stashed at an aid station but I didn't think they would help me due to the shortish climbs and I haven't practiced much with them. I will need to do some more practicing

2) I didn't really feel like I needed anything for my feet or anything to feel fresh. I've heard new socks can be nice, but my feet were good all day so I didn't really want to mess with them. Ramen was super nice to have when it got cool and night arrived

3) I think I had plenty of running. I think its purely not being used to being on feet 14+ hours as well as starting out way too fast. I should have started out MUCH slower. I don't think you need crazy miles to run long, but the time running tired is helpful and learning how to pace better should help a ton.

4) I might have started caffeine too early, but I love caffeine :) The one thing I have been super happy with is my nutrition on these long runs. I eat and drink constantly and I take a salt tablet (with other stuff as well) about every hour or two. I think the extra salt is super helpful but I don't have any evidence for this except the fact that I feel good throughout these runs.

@Gabe Peterson thanks for the comments. While my intent was to start slower, I failed miserably :) I thought I was running easy, but it wasn't stupid easy. I can do a 12 hour run and average 155 but I can't do that for past that time. I can maintain a really high HR for my age (like @tim cronk and @Peter Noyes) I never imagined that 12 extra miles from a 50 would be that different but it makes sense now. I tend to slow down at mile 40, so that is 22 extra miles! I think I will try to stick to close to where you are 140-150 with an average around 140 or so. I love thequote "for every minute you spend in Z4 in the first half, you will puke that many times during the second half." I'm really happy I learned this stuff on this run and NOT on a 100. I still think a 100 is really stupid :) I am definitely going to use poles for Leadville. I will practice longer climbs with them. I never heard about "the target that I'm applying 20-25 pounds of force with each pole to take the pressure off my legs". Good to know. In my limited experience with them, they certainly helped.

Thanks again everyone!

• Options

@Tim Sullivan Just some random rambling comments.. Aside from some minor pacing issues and maybe a bit more time on the feet, your in a really good spot for Leadville. I dont think its so much the 12 extra miles that may have done you in but the 4 extra hours. As we talked about in Zwift the course dictates the time.. I know you are familiar with that course having done a 50 and then a 62 on the same terrain so it looks like 12 extra miles... I'd be willing to bet there are many courses that are easier to get to 62 miles on than 50 miles was on that course. I totally agree with your choice of NO Poles on that course, at least on paper looking at the elevation. For Leadville I plan to pick up my poles just prior to HOPE PASS and probably keep them until the end. They definitely require training for the hands and upper body. A quick very enlightening test is to go stand on your scale with your poles, observe how many lbs you can lose with hardly any pressure applied on those poles.

• Options

Thanks @tim cronk. The trail I run has switch backs but you can also go straight up alot of it if you prefer. I have a feeling I will be doing that with poles :)