Home Announcements 🎙
Options

Best Connected Scale

Not even sure what is out there, but I know a few people have connected scales that upload lots of good data to TP and other tracking software. Curious what's the "State of the art" these days for someone looking for a new scale...

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

@scott dinhofer I have the cheaper of the two withings scales mentioned in this post - https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/07/withings-body-cardio-wifi-weight-scale-in-depth-review.html It's an older post, but I don't think there has been much new since it was published. The scale works great, but the only metric that I really use is weight. Which is also why I didn't go for the more expensive version.

I upload the data to sporttracks automatically via the plugin.

Full disclosure, I'm pretty invested in the Withings ecosystem as I have their sleep tracker and also their alarm clock.

If you're leaning that way let me know and I can send you some screen shots from the app if you like.

Clark

• Options

X2 on this question... I started a thread about it a few years ago and was going to resurrect it but better off starting fresh.

I have 2 scales .

1. Is a 2010 original Ironman branded... It measures all the metrics but its not connected... However it has been bullet proof, very long lasting batteries, and I prefer the different user "button selections" vs. a smart scale that "knows" the users.
    2. the other is a Withings who was purchased by Nokia... Same metrics and its connected so everything goes to TP/Zwift automagically . Issues with this scale are short battery, requires reconnection often, in times of high weigh fluctuations gets confused on different users and sometimes user is not even selectable, and most recently it was weighing correctly but sending the wrong numbers to TP.

New scale needs to have . a. all metrics and connectability b. user selectable for multi-use

• Options

not sure it is the "latest and greatest" but this is the one that I have. works great and easy to use/sync

• Options

I also have a Withings WS-50 scale. It's fine if you are tracking weight. I really like the connectivity piece. I wasn't sure about that but it nice to have it log the info for me when I am not yet awake! I also like that the Withings scale works for multiple users. My huband's data goes to his account and my data goes to mine (he also has a Withings blood pressure cuff).

I use MyFitnessPal to get the weight into Garmin automagically. (Withings goes to MFP, MFP data goes to Garmin).

I have considered getting an inexpensive ($40) Eufy bluetooth scale that goes to your phone so that I can do the before/after weight on rides/runs that don't take place at my house. That scale only goes to your phone (not garmin or anything else).

• Options

Any one have an opinion on the fitbit scale? aria? i know @John Withrow uses that one.

• Options

I have had the Fitbit Aria for 4-5 years. It was between the Withings and Fitbit (DC Rainmaker recommended both) and went with the Fitbit because my wife had recently purchased a Fitbit activity tracker. I've had zero issues with the scale.

@scott dinhofer , If you in bed with Withings, it's best to go with the same scale. Stick with the same family.

• Options

Withings WS-50 here. Had it for years and it reliably does the basics.

(FWIW on a related front, have the Withings BP cuff for my wife ... stay away from it. very unreliable. However the Withings thermometer is very good...lots of grandkids so it gets used)

• Options

I've had the Garmin scale for a few years -- It seems to have a wide range day to day though so I don't know how precise it is. However, recently garmin enabled automatic uploading of all the data (weight, body fat, water %, lean mass) to Training Peaks, so that is a nice feature. It also uploads to garmin connect and then updates weight on devices every time it syncs. I don't think it updates to Zwift though

• Options

@Derrek Sanks - what other gear would put me in bed with Withings? I've never even heard of them😮

• Options

@scott dinhofer My bad. I thought you said you have the Withings sleep tracker and alarm clock but I see Clark Mitchell said that.

• Options

I dunno if this is a great price or not but Amazon has the Fitbit Aria 2 for $99 now.

• Options

@Janyne Kizer - thanks for the heads up, @Steve boer sent me a text on that and I grabbed one, arrived last night, will set up this weekend!

• Options

I’ve had my Fitbit aria for going on 6 years in April. Honestly I have no complaints about it, as it has been bullet proof. I have always done my weigh ins in the morning, and it’s at the point now that based upon how much exercise I did and what I ate, I can usually guess my weight relative to the previous day to within 0.2-0.4 pounds. I know there are other scales that do more metrics than %BF, but never saw a huge need for those other metrics.

i can honestly say the best part of the connected scale, is the data is there, there is no denying or lying to yourself.

• Options
    Scott Looking forward to a little feedback when you get it.
  • Options

@Steve boer per our conversation last week, I am putting it out here to make you accountable. You have been limited in your beliefs of what you can achieve in endurance sports by your past accomplishments. Stop creating self imposed limits from the past, and start achieving your best ever. WEIGHT is THE biggest piece of low hanging fruit you have to achieve incredible results in ultra running. Put a stake in the ground now for the weight you want to weigh at the rattler. You know you know i did this for IM. My 2nd intermediate goal to get me there is in the Weight loss challenge thread, 146 lbs (1 lb lower than my lowest adult weight in IMLP 2017) and that's just to get me to 136-140 for IMLP, that range is going to be decided by how much is too skinny...

Dream it, own it, live it, be it!

and for @tim cronk who reads this, to get to 146 by 3/1 I have to lose 1.1 lbs per week, not "extreme" dieting by any measure. The only test will be a 4 day Vail trip.

• Options

@scott dinhofer ok sub 146 at rattler and sub 140 at IMLP got it :-)

• Options

I've had the Withings for many years. I really like the connectivity. It drops data into TP and I use IFTTT to drop the daily data into a Google Sheets file.

I don't obsess over my weight, but it's a 20 second process and is painless. I mostly look to it for trends and making sure weight is trending down as race day approaches.

The weight number is good. The other data like body fat bounces around too much to be that accurate.

Tom

• Options

before I open it up, does anyone who uses the fitbit scale know if it uploads straight to TP? @tim cronk @Steve boer

• Options
    Http://www.lmgtfy.com

Sent from my iPhone
  • Options

@scott dinhofer Yes it does. I just set this up last week.

• Options

Inside-Out has the Garmin Index on sale for $120.

Other retailers probably have the same price since it's Garmin and their sales tend to be dictated by corporate.