Home General Training Discussions
Options

Steep Incline Treadmill Workout

Team, would love some input on the use of a steep treadmill incline (15%+) as a training tool.

I think it's a great alternative to "running" as it's lower impact...but it's still running.

Here is what I am proposing as a recovery day (post long run) workout or a "second" workout either as part of a two session day. I guess this could also be considered cross training in some sense.

Treadmill J-Walk Workout (J is for Jogging): 

Start walking At incline to warm up...5 to 10 minutes.

When ready, increase the belt speed until there’s really no difference between walking and joggingYou want to do this workout at the minimum speed at which the difference between walking and jogging essentially disappears. Continue at this steady pace for as little as 20 minutes or as long as an hour, depending on your training needs that day.

Note: You need to build into doing this for sustained times; as it will put stress on your calves and tendons.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

@Coach Patrick would increasing the incline be part of the plan, either from one workout to the next, or within the same workout? Would it be something to slot in on an “off” day in the ultra plan with two days off a week?

• Options

I dont use treadmill but I guess its a great way to increase your power hike speed aka being fast at slow pace.

I would make it 20' then make it a flat run to simulate climbing a hill so you get use to not stopping when at the top of the hill.

At BFC, a lot of people were losing 10-15' after the big climbs before their muscles were cramping, so my guess its a plus to be able to alternate between power hike and running.

so:

warmup

20' incline until its a walk

5' run

2' rest

20' incline until its a walk

5' run

5' incline until its a walk

cooldown

I know you mentioned recovery day..

• Options
    edited January 26, 2019 9:28PM

My n=1 is the the treadmill can be useful for doing hill workouts when the weather outside isn't favorable. Or maybe if you live in the flatlands. I like doing hilly runs on Zwift and then matching the grade just to keep it fun.

My thought is that 15% grade is going be too tough (unless you're walking) for a recovery day, especially for many runners who don't do much vert. I'd suggest making it a legit workout. Like run up Zwift Volcano hard, or even better Alp du Zwift. Running hills hard is a great way to build strength and get in high intensity with lower risk of injury.

• Options

I do a workout I call the "Mountain Climber". I put the incline on 15% and just walk/jog/run for 60 mins and change the speed as needed. I then track total feet of vertical and use that to compete with myself the next time.

This can be a great cardio workout and/or leg strengthening workout, not to mention a great mental challenge. And accomplishes all of these with a much much lower impact on my legs/joints... This is my go to if I have a small hint of shin splints, or have a sore knee or foot or just a random sore muscle (i.e. hip flexor or quad)... You simply get a great workout without the pounding. You can keep it at 3.0 and just get a nice sweat with a brisk walk... or ramp it up to ~4.0 for a somewhat hard jog... or make it a super intense workout by doing intervals up at 5.0 or higher with rest breaks as needed back down at ~3.5-4.0.

But do NOT cheat by holding onto the handrails.

• Options

@John Withrow thanks for the idea. Is 15% the number because that’s the cap for a number of treadmills or would you go higher if possible?

• Options

@Scott Giljum 15% is the number because that is as high as "my" treadmill goes...

FWIW, I have an ultra buddy who has a NordicTrack Incline trainer and he does a workout that cycles between 15% and 40% that sounds like complete torture. If that's of interest to you, I can ask him the exact protocol he uses...

• Options

That sounds awful but definitely of interest @John Withrow. If you can find it, I will take it.

• Options

Spoken like a true crazy @Scott Giljum

That is absolutely horrendous! Sign me up:)