Home General Training Discussions
Options

tire size discussion with elitist, moron REI bike shop emloyee

OK, I live in a somewhat rural place in Wyoming, 45 minutes to Park City, Utah and a little over an hour to Salt Lake City.  So, living rural have several disadvantages, one is buying bike parts when you need them.  I needed some new tires and I happened to be in SLC with my wife and kids.  Knowing that REI is not "the best" bike shop, it was convenient, so I stopped.  As I am perusing the tires this little, green vest-clad umpa-lumpa ask me if I need help.  "No, I am just picking up some tires.", I told him.  His reply, "well, your a big fella, (i'm 6' and 230lbs and working on it) you should be riding 700x25s and probably even 28s."  I tried really bad not the flick this litte bogger away before my wife took me by the hand and smiled at me.  She calmed down and I finished my shopping.  He was lucky because I was pretty P.O.ed and I REALLY wanted to kick him in the nuggets.  My response to him what that I had ridden tens of thousands of miles on 23s and I have never had any tire problems.  In all of his wisdom, he told me that since I was "a big fella" riding a smaller tire would cause pinch-flats.

My question to the haus, am I better riding 23s, at my size, or should I be on a bigger tire?  Or does it really matter?  I am buying quality Conti tires, 23s, just like I have always done.

Comments

• Options

Go with your gut and your experience. 23's are fine.

• Options
    Does that mean I should put my wife in 16" tires? She's awfully small :p
  • Options
    Chuck,

Tire size and rider weight is the source of many a battle, both in person and online. If you've had success with the 23c size, stick with it.
  • Options

I hesitate to say this because as soon as I do I am going to get a pinch flat but I am 6'2, 240 226, I ride 23's and I haven't had a flat tire in three years. Go get 'em big fella! 

• Options
    I suggest that no matter when you live you may want to consider http://www.probikekit.com/index.php for tires. They seem to offer consistent, competitive prices with some great periodic sales. And the shipping is free.
  • Options

Chuck,

I am also in your category, 6' currently 214 but have been on 23's at 225 and had no problems.  I have also been on 20's at around 210 and did not find any problems.  I know that my new specialized has tires narrower than 23's and I went out on a 1 hour ride and had no issues.

I think the bigger issues are comfort.  Some find the wider tires help on long rides.  A second issues is wider tires having more rolling resitance.  For training tires this the second point is not an issue but for a race its a big one.  As others have said if your not having problems don't change.

Gordon

• Options
    Oh boy, here we go...

Well chosen wide tires often have LOWER rolling resistance than narrow ones. The trade-off is higher aerodynamic resistance.
  • Options

Bill,

Yes I agree that there are some 23's that are better than 20's you just have to take a look at the crr chart of tires and make sure you invest in typically is on the first page of that list.  Sorry I don't have the link right now but will try to look it up.  Another aspect is the confidence in not getting flats of those low rolling resistance tires.

Like everything there are qualifiers and I should have made a few.  I don't know of any tires on that list of test tires that were 25's so many of the 23's and 20's will be better than the 25's. 

Gordon

Also I don't know how many performance racing tires come in 25's?

• Options

Hey big fella! (coming from another big fella so I can get away with it )

I have not input into tire size but just wanted to say I loved your story.  Umpa lumpa, nice.

I once asked if I'd be ok to swim in a sleeveless and shorts farmer john wetsuit at registration for a race.  They reply, "yeah, you've got some fat on you so you'll be ok."

Thanks, that's what I needed the night before the race.

Good luck with the tire choice, big fella. 

Dave

• Options
    I ride 23's on my road bike wheels with no probs and size wise I am the Schlecks. Both of them. image
  • Options
    Always ridden 23s at 6'1" and ~200lbs.

Unless you're Spartacus (Fabian Cancellara) riding Paris-Roubaix, when he broke away at 50km ON HIS OWN for the win, he rode 25s IIRC - then stick with what you know and have used.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reinforcement. I stick with the same tires, for the most part, and ordering via the internet isn't a problem. I'm not too worried about "aero", obviously. I guess it's more of a comfort thing. I know what I am getting and I know how it's going to react on the road. Note to self, stay out of the REI bike shop!
  • Options
    Nah Chuck, go back to REI and then come update us here! I know it pissed you off but reading this thread has provided a bright spot in my day! Every REI employee I have met can help tons on the mountain bike stuff but looks at me like I'm a little wierd (they're right) when I start talking road bikes much less triathlon!
  • Options
    Chuck,

If it's ride comfort you're concerned about, the fattest tires you can squeeze in will allow you to run lower air pressures which will make for MUCH plusher riding. On my Cervelo R3 I run 28c Grand Bois fatties at 80PSI; supa smooth! This rider comfort really helps on longer rides, especially over rough roads. Stay tuned for my report on this upcoming Saturday's 300km brevet.
  • Options
    @Bill - ride comfort is not a problem. In fact, I am usually looking to go faster with less rolling resistance. However, it is a mental comfort thing. Like I said, I know what I am getting with the 23s and I know how they are going to perform. Good luck on the brevet, I look forward to the report.