Home Races & Places 🏁⛺

Dave's IMLP Race Plan

Race week is here! It’s been a crazy past couple of weeks with family events mixed in with the final weeks of training, but I finally feel like I can shift my full focus towards my first time racing at Lake Placid.

Some basics:

40 year old married father of 2 girls (10, 6) and 2 dogs. All of which are coming with me this weekend!

3-time IMWI starter, 2-time finisher (bike crash at the 2nd, not allowed to continue): both 12:50 or so.

10-time finisher at 70.3 distance – average finish ~5:45

6’-0” 180 lb

IMLP Race Goals:

-         Execute my race plan as best I can

-         Have a solid run

-         Enjoy the Lake Placid vibe, scenery, experience

Swim:   Not my favorite part, but I control just about everything, so I don’t worry too much. I’m an average swimmer, and my time will likely be somewhere between 1:15-1:25.

Bike:     Not my current favorite due to some mechanical issues over the summer. But my last RR was solid, so I’m hopeful my bike will cooperate. I’m definitely nervous about the descent, but hoping to recon prior to race day.

Run:      My current favorite – again I control just about everything, so less to worry about. Hoping for a successful 2nd race with Stryd and looking forward to seeing my family a couple of times. The hills are a concern, but hoping to use power to “flatten” them like on the bike.

Current things I’m worried about:

-         My bike has not been cooperating mechanically this summer. Shifting issues, brake issues. Last race rehearsal was good, so I’m hoping it will carry over to race day.

-         Friday is looking quite busy. Hoping to do some course recon (bike especially).

-         Nervous about the descent due to brake issues. Hoping to test things out Friday.

-         Race day parking. Planning to arrive super early so that I can adjust my plan if necessary.

Tentative schedule:

Wednesday:      Leave Chicago suburbs – RV camping stopover on the way.

Thursday:           Arrive Lake Placid late afternoon or early evening – staying at the KOA towards

Wilmington. Probably won’t be able to make the team dinner, unfortunately.

Friday:                 Practice swim, Bacon’s Meat & Greet, race registration, 4 Keys Talk, bike pickup from TBT, possible

Iron Kid’s Fun Run for my youngest, bike course recon

Saturday:            Big breakfast, big lunch, drop bags & bike, relax with family, pack SN bags, charge devices

Sunday Race Day:

3:00 AM              Wake up, drink liquid breakfast of Ultragen + EFS Liquid Shot (my usual race-day breakfast)

3:45 AM              Drive to Lake Placid – preferred parking option is lot by Brew Pub; alternate is street parking

behind high school

4:30 AM              Walk to transition, check bike, pump tires, add nutrition, Garmin, calibrate power

Check bike & run bags, add nutrition

Drop off Bike SN bag, Run SN bag, return pump and backpack to car

Get morning clothes bag

Walking is my warmup

5:00 AM              Eat package of shot bloks, drink powerade zero

6:00 AM              Team picture?

Go to swim start – eat two clif shot gels (no caffeine), put on wetsuit, drop off Morning Clothes

bag, warmup swim if time

6:20 AM              Get in 1:10-1:15 swim start group

6:40 AM              Race starts; in the water around 6:45 AM?

Swim:

Focus on form

No cross-body pulling

Pull down and out ending past the hip

Fight for a spot along the cable - veer off a few feet if too much contact

Keep your focus but don't go too hard

Finish first lap, run across timing mat, back into the water

Keep your focus on Lap 2 - stay on the cable - a little harder than the first lap

T1:                         Planning to keep the stuff in this bag to a minimum. Hopefully just shoes, helmet, sunglasses and

gloves. Adjust for weather. Planning to jog easy from the lake to the tent.

Bike:                     Main goal is to set myself up for a good run

Goal watts are 180 based on 0.69 FTP

Start alert and easy out of transition and out of town

JRA up the climbs out of town to the descent – enjoy the scenery

**Ignore everyone flying past you - goal is a good run**

Stay in control down the hill to Keene

Dial in 180W after Keene, then manage my effort and flatten the hills back into town

Stop at BSN – stretch a little and get shot bloks treat

**No such thing as a good bike followed by a bad run**

**Ride the bike you SHOULD**

Repeat on the second loop, focusing on steady watts and planning on things getting tough with

more wind and fatigue

Remember to use all your gears, momentum and free speed whenever possible

Nutrition is GE every 15 minutes, Picky bar or Fig bar on the hour

Not super good about drinking as much GE as I should, so will try to finish my first two bottles before the descent

T2:                         Planning to keep this bag as simple as possible, too. Shoes, socks, race belt. Go bag with handheld

water bottle, saltsticks, hat.

Run:                      Goal watts are 240 with a 130 HR cap

240w is what I have been training with on long runs and RR's. @Coach Patrick recommended

trying to stay steady at 240w instead of starting lower and increasing from there

Will try to run with a power + HR combo, with HR controlling if it is hot or HR spikes

Walk out of T2 while I take stuff out of my Go bag

Dial in 240 watts steady all run – may seem fast or watts will be lower on the downhill start, but

stay with it

Walk every aid station

Walk hills if absolutely necessary to control HR. Otherwise flatten with power

Nutrition is Nuun Endurance (something different than GE) in handheld bottle until it runs out,

then GE to RSN

Roctane gel at miles 2, 4, 6, 8, 12 to try to front load calories

Second handheld bottle of Nuun Endurance at RSN, plus shot bloks treat

Roctane at miles 16, 20, 24 as tolerated. Coke and red bull as needed after RSN

Steady power out to mile 18 – increase after mile 18 if feeling good enough

Allow HR to cautiously go past 130 after mile 18

Use racesaver bag, ice, water to stay cool if it’s hot

Have fun, enjoy the atmosphere, and finish with a smile!

I'm trying to keep things simple, but please let me know if you think I've left anything out. Thanks in advance for reading!

Comments

• @Dave Mehl big kudos putting out a race plan, please make sure that bike is 100%, if need be have local mechanic go over and fore go something else, you WILL control everything else. I stayed at that KOA a few years ago for a mini solo LP camp, don’t even think about stopping there on lap #2. Good Skill!

• Well thought out plan. I definitely recommend doing the Keene descent two times to be comfortable and to decide before race day how you're going to ride it. Definitely attend or listen to past 4 Keys Talks where Coach P breaks down the course...very valuable and detailed race execution tips. Actually better if you can listen to it twice. The very start of the bike is down hill, a little technical, narrow and congested. Ride defensively these first couple miles. The hills on the run are steep but short, ~1/4 mile, so don't worry about them...you're approach sounds smart. The run is actually a fast-ish course.

Enjoy and have a great race!

• "The run is actually a fast-ish course." said no one ever!!! But frankly, I don't disagree, with the exception of the one steep pitch on Townie Hill and a very short section of Ski Jump hill, it's actually not a horrible course. it's more rolling than anything and not even big rollers. Recommend you drive it, or join me and @Andrew Lustigman on Thursday for a social ride where we ride the run course out to the end of River road and back up papa bear to town to get our thursday ez ride in.

Overall plan looks solid @Dave Mehl - the one area I feel strongly about is right there with Tim. Can you get the bike to High Peaks cyclery or planet placid as soon as you roll into town? I'd go as far as calling one of them and reserving your spot in line if possible.

Parking, lot by brew pub?? I think this is the Hampton Inn hotel..? not a public lot, go for the spots behind school early as those are the primo ones!

• Thanks guys for your advice. I will definitely look into having my bike looked over. Like I said, it has been working well for the past few weeks, but not something I want to have to worry about. I will try to recon the parking on Friday/Saturday, too. Looks like there is metered parking next to the hotel lot - must have been what read about.

I've listened to Coach's talks before - hoping to listen again while on the road.

Thanks again for the tips - hope you meet up with those of you who will be in town this weekend!

• I'm hoping the bike doesn't have issues is unacceptable. Placid Planet - make an appointment now. They stay open very late during IMLP. They used to stay open for 24 hours. Enjoy your run. Make sure you increase the RUN watts on the crest of the rollers on River road. We'll be watching.

• Everything looks great Dave! I pronounce you ready, mentally and physically. As for parking, see if you can sneak in here early race AM. You can sneak back out and drive down the bike course once the Bike is done... Put in the address 39 Lake Placid Club Way, Lake Placid, NY 12946.

As you drive up from the main road, you'll take a right at the traffic light and climb up the hill. do the "jog" there off Forest and you'll see a dirt lot you can park in. If that doesn't work, and you are directed elsewhere, there are shuttles that do work really well!

• @Dave Mehl You know when you say something and then immediately after the words leave your mouth you think to yourself, "man that was dumb a thing to say and it makes no sense" NOT to beat a dead horse, but "I hope my breaks work" is one of those moments.

I am the dumbest person I know and even I am saying "man that sounds bad" :)

IMO, the only thing that matters is showing up with a bike that works. Because if it doesn't, your nutrition plan at mile 18 doesn't mean jack shit!

Have a great race man and enjoy it. Sounds like you've prepared to the best you could. Now's the time to have some fun!

• Thanks guys. Bike is already scheduled for a tune-up/check-up at 9:30am today. It will be good to go.

Thanks coach for the parking offer - I will check it out. Just parked here on Main Street headed for a swim.

• @Dave Mehl Sorry about the late comments

• There is a climb out of town as you are trying to bring down the HR from the swim and you might have 60'-75' to get in the two bottles, from memory I think I took close 90' in 2017 on a 7+ hour bike. Not saying you can't get in the two bottles just try to be diligent on the flat section following the descent.
    • Just watch that last picky/fig bar on the bike depending upon you bike split. I don't want to mess with your nutrition strategy close to a race but if you are coming in around 6-6:30 you will have solid food to start a run that you are planning on front loading. If you can just ensure you get the bar into your system to allow some time for digestion.
    • Run - Walk every aid station - Not a bad thing just have a plan. Run in 30 step, drink, gel and run out. Always caveat's for HR but just make sure you don't see the aid station start walking in as your main goal in to have a good run.

Have a great race.