Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

The Grizzly 100

I am not sure if this is a new chapter or a new book altogether, but The Grizzly 100 is next on the calendar. After Zugspitz was shortened to 65k, I feel like I've got some unfinished business.

Grizzly 100: Distance -100k, Altitude - 3000m climbing, Location: Gravenvoeren, Limburg, Belgium

Lessons from Zugspitz:

• I will not eat solid food so don't even take it, figure something else out
  • I don't need poles as much as I think I do
  • Running and hiking muscles are really different
  • I carry way to much shit. Scale it down (keeping in mind wheels could fall off)
  • I need better vest management
  • For clothing less=more. Error on the side of being a little cold
  • Unless it it going to be wet, take the larger shoes, but my feet are strong
  • I need to train on more technical terrain
  • I need to be a bit lighter, so stop being fat
  • I need to be stronger, so hit the gym
  • Keep training interesting, I get bored easily, i.e. cycle in cycling, dont peak too early
  • Unless running with a buddy, I will never train solo in the afternoon
  • I can suffer a good bit and keep moving forward
  • I need a better after workout routine, i.e. food, sauna, stretch, etc
  • I need to keep with with my PT, i.e. stretching and strength
  • Holidays kill me, keep training even if scaled down, figure it out
  • Altitude (relatively) doesn't seem to both me
  • I am efficient in aid stations
  • I was way under trained for the climbing
  • I really enjoy this epic shit

Training:

Starts 7th of July with the Ultra plan. Until then I will have a lot of unstructured training, i.e. Running, cycling, yoga, maybe even swimming (haha), gym sessions, etc. 300m of climbing every 10K is very trainable on my home terrain.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

These are some great thoughts @Patrick Large - I like the bullet points and the clarity for each point. I agree 1000% on efficiency for race day (and simplicity) as well as the variety in training.

Curious to see what @tim.burns or @Gabe Peterson or @Tim Sullivan thoughts are....

• Options

@Coach Patrick I didn't add anything to my "season road map" but 16 weeks out starts on the 7th of July. Would you agree on just keeping active until then and then starting that plan again or should there be something more specific from now until then?

I would assume there will be some form of run or bike everyday with gym session or PT sprinkled in daily or every other day.

• Options

The first order of business is recovery. Just to make sure your body is OK so during that time cycling or some other cross training is 100% OK.

The next order of business is tackling some of those challenges you identified from your report with regards to how are you going to train for climbing? How will you focus on strength?, Etc.

In other words, it will be good to put some thought into how we’re going to solve these issues now so that you don’t run into friction as you get started.

We don’t want to underestimate the work you’ve already done to get ready for race number one. We are now building off of that baseline fitness so you don’t have to do the same long hard grind to get ready. But we do want to reestablish that running frequency as well as critical points where you can really challenge your aerobic system which can be hiking, cycling, or a mixture of the run walk style.

A lot of this will be dictated by how different that raises them what you experienced. Maybe you can break that down so the team can contribute?

To reiterate, once you can confirm you are recovered let’s get back on a frequent short run program and start up some strength training with some cycling worked in.

• Options
    edited June 25, 2019 12:59PM

@Coach Patrick

The first order of business is recovery. Just to make sure your body is OK so during that time cycling or some other cross training is 100% OK. I would say I am 90% back, but should be 100% in the next 1 - 2 weeks

how are you going to train for climbing? How will you focus on strength?, Etc. my current training terrain is closer to what this race will have to offer, so I am not sure I need to change that up more, other than running the the "hillier" sections more often. Maybe run with a weighted vest. For strength, I was just thinking hitting the gym (quads, glutes, cavles) as well as weighted plyometrics that my fysio has prescribed.

In other words, it will be good to put some thought into how we’re going to solve these issues now so that you don’t run into friction as you get started. I would lean on your advice as well as the team in terms of what "plan" to start and when and how to modify it with strength training.

But we do want to reestablish that running frequency as well as critical points where you can really challenge your aerobic system, yes 100%

A lot of this will be dictated by how different that raises them what you experienced. Maybe you can break that down so the team can contribute? not sure what this means

To reiterate, once you can confirm you are recovered let’s get back on a frequent short run program and start up some strength training with some cycling worked in, so I am guessing this means NOT starting the 50mile plan 16 weeks out like I had initially planned, but start with something modified.

• Options

I wouldn't worry too much about mileage when you start training again. You have a good base. I will tell you that 65 to 100k is a big difference. That last 20k is tough so you need to be disciplined at start and not go out to fast.

For training keep it as close to the race as possible. Time climbing is probably better than just getting in miles. I've heard great things about a weighted vest but have never used one. Biking is also good as it helps with climbing.

Why don't you eat solid food? I would train by eating solid food during your runs. I can't imagine not eating solid foods for that long. I do not eat solid foods for IMS.

• Options

@Tim Sullivan thanks for the feedback. I am so new to the ultra scene that I don't even feel like I am racing as much as I am running / experiencing. That being said I am not sure I would go out too fast, but then again I am not sure anyone means to go out too fast. So something to keep in mind.

"Time climbing is probably better than just getting in miles" yes I will spend most of my time doing this .

Looking into a weighted vest and will definitely put cycling into the mix this time around.

Tim, I have trained with solid food, but during races I just can't seem to get it down. Too dry maybe? It's just force feeding myself. What do you eat? I am open to suggestions. In the race Aid station are not close... there are only 4 on the entire 100k route.

• Options

@Patrick Large @Patrick Large@Patrick Large congrats on a successful race and epic adventure! Looks like you learned some good lessons. I'd suggest with the longer distance some of the things that are less critical in a "short" race will become a factor:

• Pacing to make sure the last 10-15 miles aren't a sufferfest. It's still going to hurt. A lot.
    • Poles -- yes, poles. They will take some of the pressure off your legs so you can keep going strong while everyone else is a zombie.
    • Nutrition -- as you learned, eat real food. I've found the sports nutrition works for me for about 50 miles, and then it's the most disgusting thing ever.

Feel free to hit me up if you want to bounce ideas off me for the Grizzly.

• Options

thanks @Gabe Peterson for the next two weeks I am just chilling and keeping active. I will definitely hit you up. How are you enjoying Cali??

• Options

I liked the format I used for Zugspitz so I will keep it for Grizzly

Week 1-2 recap:

Nutrition: This is an interesting discussion in my own head these days. I have converted to a 100% vegetarian diet and lean pretty close to vegan. The only animal products I consume are cheese and eggs (but only eggs found in prepares foods, never straight up eggs). With that said, I've been a fat vegetarian. Yeah, Heineken and Fries are technically vegetarian. See where I am going with that? I am not that bad, but also not the poster boy the vegetarians are looking for. With that said, I have been eating really clean during the day. The problem is, is that I am probably almost maxed out on calories, but when I get home, I have trouble eating a sensible dinner. It is always pretty clean, but just too much of it. I tend to eat around 7 pm, so I think it just sits in my gut all night.

Body Comp: I am starting at just about 89 kg. (196 lbs.) and 20.9% bf. Those stats aren't horrible, as I have a lot of time, but I feel like shit. I feel heavy and "big bellied" and the pic below is the proof. I've got a nice 5kg to lose from the gut. I peaked a bit early for ZUG and it has been down hill from there. I've got to get my shit together and turn this around.

Training: I am happy with my the first week and half. Toward the end of my ZUG training everything turned into "time on feet" and that wasn't necessarily the right approach. These first two weeks my runs have been focused and with intent and purpose. I've follow the prescribed workouts, not just logging the miles. I ended the week getting in 4 of 5 runs totaling 50.9 km's I had a super busy week last week so considering it all, I am happy with it.

Recovery/Rehab: I am going to see my physio this week and I am sure he is going to say "you have the exercises now do them". I am getting a lot of pain again on my left side. Not so much calf, but hamstring and behind the knee. I need to start again my stretching, but more importantly my strength. I felt like although I was fit, I could have been stronger going into ZUG. I wont make that mistake again.

Summary: The head and heart are both in it. That's a huge win for me already. I need to work on the diet a bit more to improve body comp and get a bit lighter. I also need to get on the strength training to prevent injuries. I have a lot of fitness all ready so this is building on a nice base.

• Options

@Patrick Large I am enjoying chapter 2 already. Like the Ironman triathlon distance these Ultra’s are giant puzzles to be solved over a long day with many individual decisions. That is what makes them challenging, what fun or more correctly what satisfaction would we feel if it were easy. Your not just going through the motions, you are analyzing training/racing choices/decisions and then you are adapting/learning, that is the recipe for success. We are here to chat more specifics which is the power of EN. IOW unlocking the puzzle. Congrats on your mostly Vegan diet. I have been Vegan 10 years this October, I like to say that it’s not the magical panacea that is marketed (oh I feel so much better, I sleep so much better, I recover so much better, I lost all this weight without trying BS) but I feel great, I feel good about the environment, happy for the animals, and it’s NOT slowing me down!

• Options

What an epic adventure. I am at a loss for words.

• Options

So I write this update on the heels of 2 weeks in Ireland/Scotland with minimal workouts. With that said, what I did was quality and we were always moving (walking). There was a lot of "time on feet" the entire two weeks, But overall it was a 2 weeks of shit, eating and drinking, on taking a step backwards not forward.

This is me putting it out there:

Nutrition: This was the biggest downfall these past two weeks. Still almost vegan, but man a fat fucking vegan. Really the only animal products I consume now are cheese. But in Ireland it is so good. There were many dinners that consisted of (literally) cheese and crackers, and entire bag of chips, and beer. I am not sure anyone is getting to the finish line eating that shit. Since I have been back, I am not worrying about cutting back as much as I am about getting quality food. This is a real attempt at cutting all animal products including cheese. 3 days of the week so far and no issues. No beer, no chips, no nonsense. Next week I will focus on food as fuel and recovery, but first things first.

Body Comp: Fat as Fuck 91.3kg and 21.7% bf. This is VERY unacceptable, but based on the above not unexpected. More than anything I want to race lighter at Grizzly. Lots of work to do. NO actual pic like before, but this one is pretty close.

Training: Schedule will stay almost the same as before, with some modifications. Still 5 runs a week with Monday and Friday as rest days. Tues-Thurs, I want 1 speed session and one climbing session. I would guess those will be Tues and Thursday with Wed being a steady TRP 10 miles. Then my back to back long runs on the weekend. Strength training for the glutes/hips/core/etc 3 times a week. Calf raises daily.

Recovery/Rehab: Daily 8x a day calf stretching. After session walking and nutrition are mandatory.

Summary: 10 weeks or 73 days until 26 October when the gun goes off. I have a LOT of work to do, but I enjoy the challenge of "getting to the start" light, strong, and injury free. I like this quote that @tim cronk posted on this Race Plan for Leadville 100 miler so I'll steal it and leave you with it.

"Motivation will get you through your training, motivation will get you to the start line, but motivation will NOT get you to the finish line, you will have to want it, when the hurt comes and it will , you will have to do what the Leadville miners did, and that is to Dig Deep"

• Options

Nutrition: This was the biggest improvement from the previous week. I didn't do anything in terms of restricting calories, but I just ate super clean. I cut down to almost zero dairy (cheese) which is my downfall. No alcohol and kept the late(er) dinner under control.

Body Comp: extremely happy with these numbers. It's down a lot from last week, but that was coming off 2 binge weeks, so no real surprise.

Training: 4 runs total. 2 during the week and my back to back on the weekend. None of them were stand out sessions, but they done. I need to continue to get in hill sessions during the week.

Recovery/Rehab: The legs are feeling good. I am continuing with my calf stretches and raises. I have am having some strain on the right glute, but I think that is from the climbing. And to be honest I'd rather the right than left since everything is one the left.

Summary: It was a good week of training, but not a great week. I need to step it up and keep on pushing. Weekly nutrition needs to continue to be clean and my weekend long runs need to count.