Home New Member [First Month]
Options

Jim Lane Official Coach Thread [PlanEN]

edited December 13, 2019 3:44PM in New Member [First Month]

Here's your personal Coach Thread, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here.

As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Your Races

• 10/19/2019 - Marin County Triathlon (Sprint)
  • 04/26/2020 - Ironman 70.3 Florianopolis

Your Notes

My first race was last December at the Ironman 70.3 Indian Wells. Officially, I'm a DNF as I was 12 seconds too slow in the swim (very cold water and my first wetsuit open-water swim. I know, bad idea.) However, I was allowed to continue and finished with the following times: Swim-1:10:12, Bike-3:24:13, Run-2:46:45. Total:7:37:06.

My current fitness is couch potato. I haven't done much of anything since that race. I walk and can do 4 miles in an hour. My bike pace is about 12-14mph (only one ride so far this year.) I haven't been in the pool yet.

Walking about 2-3 times per week. Try to ride on Saturdays. I'm 6-02, 208 lbs. Dad-bod. I was a steady cyclist up until last December, then lost my motivation to do much of anything. Long-term, my wife and I are planning to go to Brazil next year and I would like to make it a race-cation and do the Ironman Florianopolis 70.3. Currently, I'm entered in the Marin County Triathlon, Sprint on October 19th and would like to begin training for that.

Season Outline

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won't complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on Final Surge by clicking on Training Plans / My Plans. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

>> Last updated by Coach on August 8, 2019

• On 8/5/2019  Load the  -- Short Course, 20wks to end on 10/20/2019
  • On 10/21/2019 Load the  -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 11/3/2019
  • On 11/4/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/1/2019
  • On 12/2/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/29/2019
  • On 1/6/2020  Load the  -- OutSeason for Triathletes (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 3/29/2020
  • On 2/3/2020  Load the    EN Half Bike Focused  to end on 4/26/2020
  • On 4/27/2020 Load the  -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 5/24/2020

Training Plan Support in Your First Month

You can connect with @matt limbert as needed in your first month to get dialed in with your training plans and data. You can set up a call with him online here: https://calendly.com/new-member-phone-call/1 and he'll be on this thread shortly!

Your Homework

Tell Me Your Training Equipment Situation:

• Indoor trainer? Treadmill? Or all outside?
  • Access to pool or masters swim?
  • Do you train with Heart Rate?
  • What is your exercise watch?

Tell Me Your Season Goals:

• What will make you consider this season a success?
  • What's your biggest limiter right now?

Start Learning

Every month we hold live events as part of our commitment to make you just as smart as you are fit. Feel free to visit our Coach Lesson page and our Office Hours page to find the next opportunity to connect with Coach Patrick and your Teammates.

Contact Points

As part of your journey to becoming a Self Coached Triathlete inside TeamEN, we are prepared to give you excellent support for your first 90 days. Our goal is to transition you from live, in-person support to using our digital resources and the Team to help you continue your progress as you execute your Three Year Plan.

These are all the key points in your first year where we must talk. Please remember to include your phone number.

• Welcome Call in Week One (set it up here)
  • Training Plan Call in Week Two to talk about your season (set it up here)
  • End of Trial Call -- We review your experience & Unlock Year One / Race Execution for you (set it up here)
  • End of Season Call -- We review your year & Strategize for your End of Year Gap and Year Two (TBD in this Coach Thread)

Questions

• Coach Questions - Right here in this thread. Always reply to this same thread, it keeps a record for us as we evolve together!
  • General Questions - Simple stuff can go to the Q & A Central Forum for the Team to answer. For example, Best Bike? How to improve run cadence? How to flip turn?
  • Need Help? - Please check the EN Help Site first!
  • Admin Questions - Billing or orders or whatnot? Use the red chat button at the bottom of the Members Site (not forums) or email us here.
  • Specific Questions about a Race or Power, etc? - You can post those into the General Discussion Forum and set the title or tags for that topic. Race questions to the Racing Forum, etc. Not sure where to post? Put it in the General Discussion forum and we will sort it out. Whatever you do, PLEASE ask your questions!!

For short or last minute questions, we recommend you use the Red Chat Icon on the main Members website.

We have also organized a complete chart of the best ways to contact us online here.

Your First Month on the Team

You have quite a few things to do when you start up. There are instructions on the top of the website, but you can review them under Resources / Trial Member Welcome.

Your First Year Inside Endurance Nation

This will be unlocked after your trial expires.

Looking forward to working with you this year,

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options

Jim, Welcome to Endurance Nation. I'm Matt and I'm here to help make your first 30 days as easy as possible. I'll help you get up to speed with your plan, your basic schedule, workout terminology, and all of our resources. I'll send some links to articles, forums or coach videos that apply to your training. I encourage you to look around and let me know what you are interested in. There are ton of videos, coach lessons and forums that are available to you as a TeamEN member. Coach Patrick mentioned body composition and we have some good videos on daily nutrition and how build some sustainable habits there.

First, here are are some easy steps to get the most out out your training plan, Coach Thread and Final Surge.

Again, Power user tip! Subscribe to this Coach Thread and get an email when respond. It keeps the communication moving. Click on the red star and check box just to the right of your thread title. This way you will get an email when you get a response in your Coach thread. See video here:

Next, get setup in Final Surge. Coach Patrick has just made your season plan in Final Surge, so you can sync your Garmin or Strava (only one!) and get your workout data uploaded. (Chose Strava if you ride on Zwift.)

In Final Surge: Workouts -> Garmin / Device Upload

Then chose either Garmin or Strava. Just chose one, otherwise you will get double workouts recorded in Final Surge.

As you get all your tech setup (Connecting to Final Surge) either Garmin or Strava. Also consider downloading the Final Surge App. This might make it way easier to add comments about how you felt, ate, weather etc (for the bike) and sets, paces etc (for the swim). Those are all super helpful to you as you track your progress, prepare and plan your for your race.

It makes it super easy to add comments about your workout. Click on the "pencil" icon to tap "how I felt" or "perceived effort." Then add a few notes about what you ate/drank (helps to figure out what works best for you on the bike), how you felt mentally, the weather or any aches etc. Just a quick not goes a long way.

Final Surge | Mobile Apps

https://www.finalsurge.com/apps

Those comments are really handy when you are comparing workouts, tailoring your own training, evaluating progress and planning for your ride. It also makes it easy to look at and plan for your upcoming workouts.

You can also setup Final Surge to send you emails with your workouts every day.

You will do some run and bike tests and then we can update and customize your workouts based on that data. Once we customize them, the workouts will say 20' @ (135-145 heart rate) vs. 20' @ Zone 2. For now, you will have to use your perceived effort, but if you are interested we can customize and refine that bit more after you do the run and bike tests.

Let me know how I can help. I look forward to hearing more, helping you build your fitness and learn how we can help!

My goal is to make your first month of Endurance Nation as simple and as awesome as possible! For any questions you have getting started - chat with me here in this forum or schedule a call with me here: https://calendly.com/new-member-phone-call/1

Talk with you soon.

• Options

Hey Jim, I saw your post to Brenda. This is the general guidance for modifying the workouts

1. Cut the Interval Length but Keep the Intensity. IOW if 2 x 15' on the bike isn't working for you, can you do 3x10 with more rest or 4x7.5, etc. Make notes in your comments on what you modified and why. The workouts typically progress in length so you can follow your same pattern across the weeks until you get comfortable. Also the bike
    2. Do the Time but Drop the Intensity. If #1 doesn't work, then get in your 2x15' at .9 or .85 instead.
    3. Do the Time Only. If #2 doesn't work, then just get your 45-60 minutes done.
    4. If You have Zero Motivation and #3 is Wicked Unappealing, Do Nothing. Stretch, core, etc is okay but take the day. Better to save now than pay later.

We might modify your run training on a larger scale - relying primarily on Rule #3. This early in your training, while your are still developing fitness we can drop the intensity and just go for consistency. I see your walks are posted in Final Surge. We can shorten those runs to a place you are comfortable with and then progress from there. I'd like to hear more. Chat me up here or schedule a call here: https://calendly.com/new-member-phone-call/1

@Jim Lane

• Options

Hi Matt,

Thanks so much for your response. First off, what does " IOW" mean?

I am currently the program manager for a men's residential recovery program in Santa Rosa. We're going to be starting a half-marathon training program with this group--https://upandrunningagain.org/--for our residents. I was planning to train with them, but I'm not the coach and could just keep it to a couple sessions a week. They would prefer to have a staff member present, however, and that's me so far. They train 4 times a week (Mon, Tues, Thurs, and Saturday), with Saturday being their long run day. They start with an hour of 5 min walking alternating with 5 min jogging/running. I'm already comfortable with running continuously for time, and can probably mix my running workouts in with those training periods. Maybe even dialing it back on non-EN run training days.

I also have the ability to bike commute to work. It's roughly 9 miles one way. It takes about a half hour or so to get in to work at an easy pace. I'm comfortable cycling, but haven't been on the bike but a few times this year. I think commuting 2 or 3 times a week could help.

My swim is certainly the area where I need some work, and technique work for certain. Scheduling is a bit of a bugger though, as I'm limited to the pool schedule of Tuesday and Thursday nights for exactly one hour (7:45-8:45 pm), or 6:00-8:00 am M-W-F. However our running trainings are at 6:00 am, so Friday is really the only early morning day I could go. However, there is a municipal pool in Santa Rosa that offers Masters swim on Tues and Thurs 11:45 -1:00 pm, that I could try to get into.

I wanted to lay all this out for you, to show where I am right now and why I really need a coach. My head is spinning. I'm also 55 (on Sunday) and my energy levels aren't what they used to be.

• Options

Jim, thanks for the backstory and schedule, its super useful to us. The upandrunningagain training program sounds like a great cause and opportunity for you. When is their target race? Those sessions sound like a good way for you participate, build some fitness and consistency. Let's shoot for 2-3 sessions a week and see how that goes. See how you feel. We would like to keep a bias towards the bike, because it builds fitness and is not load bearing like the run. Chose a few days that work with your schedule to run at work and still get some of the biking in (either outside or stationary bike, indoor trainer). We would also like to get you back in the pool consistently on Friday - if that works with your schedule. Then we need to find another couple opportunities to swim - not immediately just keep it mind.

The long term goal is building fitness for IM 70.3. So, our short term goal now needs be building a consistent workout plan into your lifestyle and schedule. So, lets shoot for consistency - use these first couple of weeks to experiment with a workout pattern/rhythm that gets you running, biking and swimming at least once a day. Try the bike commute if it works for your schedule, be safe. Keep comments in your Final Surge, so we can track how you feel. As you build more consistency, we will focus more on intensity and structure.

How does that sound? Chat me up here with your progress.

IOW = In other words.

@Jim Lane

• Options

Matt,

Thanks. The Half Marathon is the Davis Turkey Trot. We were just able to finalize plans for the program to start on Monday, August 26th, so I guess we can add that race to my calendar.

• Options

Jim, sounds great! We can make that work. We'll take a look and see if we need to change anything else.

• Options

Jim, nice job getting started and adding some notes. I like that you felt like you could have gone longer on the run AND I like how you were smart enough to decide not to - in order to stay healthy and injury free. Nice work.

• Options

Nice, ride yesterday. That was great work on those three climbs. The upandrunningagain program starts tomorrow, right? Remember we want to shoot for consistency. Early on is good time to experiment a bit to find the workout pattern and rhythm that works for you. Nice work jumping into the forums and introducing yourself. I asked Coach Patrick and Brenda about hats, visors etc. I'll get back to you.

• Options

Thank you Matt. I just turned 55 Sunday! But no run on my birthday.

What are strides?

The Up & Running Again Program began this morning. We had 10 guys come out. No one hurt the first day, so I claim success. I'll do my regular run this afternoon when I get off work.

• Options

Jim, Happy Birthday! That's so cool. Congratulations on that AND getting 10 folks out for the first day of Up & Running Again.

Patrick said he can get you a Red Trucker hat - if you are interested (free to new members - you just pay shipping). Post address here and I will get it to Patrick or use the little red chat icon thing that pops up when you visit the site on you computer. Those chats go to him too.

• Strides: A drill of sorts used to improve running form. Simply run quickly, with good form, for about 30 seconds. Count your left foot strikes during the Stride. Your goal is 45+, yielding a cadence of 90+ rpm. Walk or jog lightly for 45” between each Stride. Strides are about form, not fitness, so don’t worry about pace or heart rate. Take as much rest as you need between each Stride to continue to run with good form.

Here is a link to help with decoding some of the workout terminology:http://members.endurancenation.us/TrainingPlan/TrainingPlanQuickStartGuide.aspx

• Options

Matt,

I'm at:

5301 Kirby Pl

Rohnert Park, CA 94928

• Options

Got it! Trucker hat on the way!

• Options

Jim, How did your first week of Upandrunning fit into your training.

• Options

Matt,

We had a good first week with our 6:00 am start times. This next week we move to 5:30 am, which means a 4:30 wake-up. Not ideal, but it is what it is. On Saturday, I rode my bike in before the run and rode home after. An easy ride and good warm-up. I may do that tomorrow as well. The upside of the early morning runs means I get off at 2:30 in the afternoon leaving time to ride.

On Saturday, I added a 2 mile run later in the morning, as our training run was more of a trot/walk, due to me running with the slow guys. The 2 mile effort didn't get recorded to Final Surge, but you can see it here: https://www.strava.com/activities/2668345891

I ran a sub-10 minute mile for the second mile, which is something I haven't done since my 20s. However, i realized after that I should probably keep my runs easier, and maybe do only one long effort once a week. i feel good, but I'm not sure I should push it based on my heart rate. I haven't hit the pool yet, but plan on that this week. And no long ride this last week either. I will stretch my legs next Saturday perhaps.

I'm getting a little bit of pain in my right shin, but I've been doing reverse band stretches once a day to try to strengthen the shin muscles.

Today I rested.

• Options

Jim, Congratulations on your first week with your upandrunning group and your fast mile! Great idea to get in the bike before and after the Saturday run. I am concerned about your shin, the reverse band stretches are a good start. Please take it easy and add more biking if it persists. Is the pain on the inside or the outside (muscle side) of the shin? We have plenty of time and the consistent work will add up. Thanks for the update.

• Options

Jim, your trucker hat is on the way! Coach Patrick put it in the mail today! Stylish is always faster. Well, maybe not....but its always cooler!

• Options

Jim, I like how you are mixing in the bike to and from work - with your runs. I also really like your consistency. Stay conservative with the shin. We have lots of time. You REALLY earned some those runs - those are some early mornings!

• Options

Thanks Matt,

I'm enjoying the rides too. I took my first swim today, and could barely make the first 100 yards without having to stop and catch my breath. I was really tense, though, and as I swam, I had to consciously loosen my shoulders and remember to relax my hands. I alternated breathing, right side down, left side back. I had forgotten how much I enjoy swimming, but I need to get to the point that I can swim continuously without running out of gas.

I'm thinking of swimming two mornings a week (Wed and Fri) for 30 minutes, and Sat and Sun afternoons for 30 minutes each(ish). What do you think?

• Options

Jim, That sounds great. We would recommend that you keep the Sat & Sun swims - super easy. They can help build additional aerobic time, but although they are not load bearing like running - they can still be taxing. Keep the working on increasing the length of the long bike.

If you continue to bike in - run - bike home, lets think about doing a long continuous bike on Sun (like you did in late August). The bike in - run - bike home gets you lots of additional aerobic time, and once we get you on a continuous long run - we can do a long bike and long run after the sprint race and half-marathon. All in progress towards - Florianopolis.... What do you think of that?

• Options

Sunday's tough to fit in a long bike day. i go to church in the morning at 9, and starting a ride at 11 is a bit late. I could extend the ride on Saturday, though. Am I shooting for 2-3 hours in the saddle?

• Options

Got it. Nice job getting to the pool. BTW. Just keep extending the bike trip home bit after the Saturday run. I like the overall work of the Bike in + run + bike home combination. So extending the bike home portion by 10 min longer each week - up to 2 hours continuous on the way home by the last week. No need to swim on Saturday. We can vary up Sunday - swim, run or rest depending what you need and works for your schedule.

Mon - Bike & run

Tues - Bike & Run

Wed - Run & Swim

Thurs - Bike and Run

Fri - Swim

Sat- Bike + run w/ Upandrunning + Bike

Sun - Swim, run, or rest

I modified your next week 16-22 Sept - so you can see it in Final Surge.

How does that work for you?

This discussion has been closed.