Home New Member [First Month]
Options

Aimee Pultorak Official Coach Thread [PlanEN]

Aimee, hey, welcome to your Coach Thread. You get this in your first month on the team as part of our White Glove level of service. You have a full 30 Days to explore all of our resources at the Team level and decide if you want to stay or drop back down to Plan. I have loaded all of your workouts into Final Surge through the end of October, at which point we are on hold for me to create the new OutSeason® Training plans for the 2020 season.

We'll catch up soon!!!!

~ Coach P

++++++++++++++++++++

Here's your personal Coach Thread, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here.

As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Your Races

• 04/19/2020 IM Haines City, FL 70.3

Your Notes

Completed several sprint and olympic distance triathlons 2008-2010. Completed one half iron distance in Oct 2010. 

Finish time for 70.3 in 2010 was 6:01. Haven't raced in triathlons since and ready to get back into it! 

I am very active and practice such exercises as running, cycling, swimming, weightlifting, Crossfit type workouts, trail running, kayaking--just to name a few!

I work as a part time personal trainer and a full time mommy to 3 kids (ages 12, 8, 5). My biggest obstacle will be getting my workouts completed around the kids and husbands schedules, but I am super focused to do it!Currently I am running 3x/week (average 8-15 miles total), lifting weights 1-2x week, and cycling 1x/ week.

2020 Race Goals:

IM Haines City 70.3 April 2020

IM Chattanooga Sept 2020

Season Outline

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won't complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on Final Surge by clicking on Training Plans / My Plans. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

>> Last updated by Coach on August 14, 2019

• Testing Week through 8/18/2019
  • On 8/19/2019 Load the -- Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 9/15/2019
  • On 9/16/2019 Load the -- Run Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 10/13/2019
  • On 10/14/2019 Load the -- Run Durability for Triathletes 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/10/2019
  • On 10/28/2019 Load the OutSeason (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 02/02/2020
  • On 1/6/2020 Load the Swim Camp to end on 1/19/2020
  • On 1/20/2020 Load the EN*Half Bike Focused to end on 4/19/2020
  • On 4/20/2020 Load the Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 05/03/2020

Training Plan Support in Your First Month

You can connect with @matt limbert as needed in your first month to get dialed in with your training plans and data. You can set up a call with him online here: https://calendly.com/new-member-phone-call/1 and he'll be on this thread shortly!

Your Homework

Tell Me Your Season Goals

• What will make you consider this season a success?
  • What's your biggest limiter right now?

Start Learning

Every month we hold live events as part of our commitment to make you just as smart as you are fit. Feel free to visit our Coach Lesson page and our Office Hours page to find the next opportunity to connect with Coach Patrick and your Teammates.

Contact Points

As part of your journey to becoming a Self Coached Triathlete inside TeamEN, we are prepared to give you excellent support for your first 90 days. Our goal is to transition you from live, in-person support to using our digital resources and the Team to help you continue your progress as you execute your Three Year Plan.

These are all the key points in your first year where we must talk. Please remember to include your phone number.

• Welcome Call in Week One (set it up here)
  • Training Plan Call in Week Two to talk about your season (set it up here)
  • End of Trial Call -- We review your experience & Unlock Year One / Race Execution for you (set it up here)
  • End of Season Call -- We review your year & Strategize for your End of Year Gap and Year Two (TBD in this Coach Thread)

Questions

• Coach Questions - Right here in this thread. Always reply to this same thread, it keeps a record for us as we evolve together!
  • General Questions - Simple stuff can go to the Q & A Central Forum for the Team to answer. For example, Best Bike? How to improve run cadence? How to flip turn?
  • Need Help? - Please check the EN Help Site first!
  • Admin Questions - Billing or orders or whatnot? Use the red chat button at the bottom of the Members Site (not forums) or email us here.
  • Specific Questions about a Race or Power, etc? - You can post those into the General Discussion Forum and set the title or tags for that topic. Race questions to the Racing Forum, etc. Not sure where to post? Put it in the General Discussion forum and we will sort it out. Whatever you do, PLEASE ask your questions!!

For short or last minute questions, we recommend you use the Red Chat Icon on the main Members website.

We have also organized a complete chart of the best ways to contact us online here.

Your First Month on the Team

You have quite a few things to do when you start up. There are instructions on the top of the website, but you can review them under Resources / Trial Member Welcome.

Your First Year Inside Endurance Nation

This will be unlocked after your trial expires.

Looking forward to working with you this year,

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options

Thank you so much Coach Patrick, I look forward to working with you and your team at Endurance Nation! I'm excited to see how I progress over these next few months.

• What will make you consider this season a success? To be consistent with my training, nutrition, and recovery time. To finish IM Florida 70.3 under 6 hours and to finish IM Chattanooga before the cut off time.
    • What's your biggest limiter right now? My family, work and training schedules. Being consistent with my workouts.

• Options

How awesome! You are off to a great start on you Season Plan: Strava & Final Surge linked. Check! Workouts posted. Check! Comments on you workouts. Check! Set your running heart rate zones. Check. You even did your homework on season success and biggest limiter. Check. And double check. I love it!

And you did all that while parenting 3 kids, getting your workouts in and probably some client personal training too! Easy day!

With all you have going on, my goal is to make your first month of Endurance Nation as simple and as awesome as possible! For any questions you have getting started - chat with me here in this forum or schedule a call with me here: https://calendly.com/new-member-phone-call/1

Here are some other things to knock out as we get you all setup.

Did you subscribe to your Coach Thread yet? If you subscribe, you will get an email everytime we answer or post in your Coach Thread. You can reply to that email and the entire conversation is captured in the thread for your history. It keeps all your training notes, questions and answers in one place.

Click on the red star and checkbox just to the right of the title on you Coach Thread. (Here is the 5 sec video - to see what I mean.)

https://vimeo.com/353992523

Did you download the Final Surge App? It makes it way easier to add comments about how you felt, ate, weather etc (for the bike) and sets, paces etc (for the swim). Those are all super helpful to you as you track your progress, prepare and plan your for your race.

It makes it super easy to add comments about your workout. Click on the "pencil" icon to tap "how I felt" or "perceived effort." Then add a few notes about what you ate/drank (helps to figure out what works best for you on the bike), how you felt mentally, the weather or any aches etc. Just a quick not goes a long way.

You can also look at your training schedule and planned workouts there too. You can also setup Final Surge to send you emails with your workouts every day.

Final Surge | Mobile Apps

https://www.finalsurge.com/apps

Workout comments are really handy when you are comparing workouts, tailoring your own training, evaluating progress and planning for your ride. It also makes it easy to look at and plan for your upcoming workouts.

You can also upload your he workouts you do as part of your personal training. That way we have a good picture of all the physical and mental work you are doing. It will help us in the long run manage your overall training load, if we can see all the triathlon training and personal training in one place. You can assign those workouts as cross-training or something else - just be consistent.

Customize your training plan with your heart rate zones.

I see you already set run heart rate zones. We typically use the average heart rate during a 5k race or max effort. Is that what you used to set your run heart rate? You will do a similar test for HR (or power if you have it) for the the bike. You are scheduled for that run test this weekend.

When you update your training plan with your bike and run heart rate zones - the workout will have YOUR target heart rate numbers (i.e 120-140) vs (zone 2). So, you don't have to remember the numbers.

Here is how you update your plan and customize your heart rate zones in the plan.

https://www.endurancenation.us/help/final-surge-how-to-update-your-integrated-training-zones/

Let me know how I can help. I look forward to hearing more, helping you build your fitness and learn how we can help!

Talk with you soon.

• Options

Aimee, it was super fun to talk with you. Here are some things to check out. There is a lot to look over. Some are videos and some are reading. An option to try, is to make learning your "workout" on Monday during your off day from physical training and do some mental prep work. Make Monday your get smart day. "Workout" learning more about the sport and your training. An hour a week will make you super smart. You will develop better race and training execution skills, as you build your fitness.

I'm excited to follow your training. Post your questions here or schedule another call with me here: https://calendly.com/new-member-phone-call/1

Description of your training plan and how the weeks fit together. Scroll down to Run Durability and watch the main video.

Read how running fits into your long term season:

Run Durability videos - a bit more overview, Part 1 and Part 2.

Overview

Part I

http://members.endurancenation.us/TrainingPlan/TrainingPlanCentralPage/OutSeasonPlanResources/OutSeasonRunDurability.aspx

Part II

Here is the link to the weekly video in Final Surge - for when you start Half Iroman and Ironman training. These are part of your Final Surge account and training plan.

Here is some of the background on IM Choo. This is part of the TeamEN resources on races and execution. You can check it out now to see if this is something that you would be interested in

Finally, there are a ton of lessons and best practices under the "Learning" heading. Check out the "long course. Here is an example of one of Coach Patrick's coach lessons as a video.

"What Data to use and when"

The best part is the forums - the is a forum for Outseason accountability - where everyone starting the Outseason shares their experience while executing the same training plan.

Forums -> General Training Discussions

Here is last year's November Outseason thread

https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/25256/november-outseason-2018-starts-10-29-18

Talk to you soon. Stay at it. Enjoy the the trainer.

• Options

Aimee, you are off to a good start. I like the "impromptu" puppy test run. Now, you have another training partner! How are you feeling so far?

• Options

Yes finally I have a running buddy who can help make me run faster and more often! LOL! Feeling great so far. I feel that I need to make more time to get on my bike and ride. Running is easy to do and I'm able to do it whenever and where ever, as long as I have my running shoes!

The one ride I had scheduled to complete over the weekend I was unable to complete. However, I have made it to 2 spin classes at my gym last week which felt good, but nothing like the open roads! This week I am going to set up my trainer at the house (I've been slacking and have not taken it out of the package yet😩) so that I can spend a little bit of time spinning the 'ole legs.

Thanks for checking in! The training is going great and I'm starting to get into the swing of things with my work/training schedule and the kid's schedules also. I even volunteered to help coach their cross country team this season so I can get some extra miles in too!

• Options

Aimee, you are all set! Puppy running partner. Indoor trainer. As you get set up on your trainer - you might look into www.Zwift.com. (There is a free 7 day trial.) Lots of folks on the team use it - quite a bit in the fall and winter when most cannot ride outside. It is the closest thing to riding outside. It connects to your trainer - there are group rides, races or just riding. It makes riding inside a whole lot more enjoyable. It also makes it easier to do (like your running) - riding shoes, bike and computer. Boom! Workout! Done! Here is a video and about how to get started:

Scroll down to Virtual Training (aka Zwift) then Watch the Intro to Zwift Video with Tim Sullivan or read about the setup in one of the related posts in the section.

http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/Wiki/tabid/91/topic/Biking/Default.aspx

• Options
    edited August 28, 2019 6:20PM

Aimee, Coach Patrick shared his notes with me after your call. He mentioned that you are interested in shortening the weekend workouts. We can shift the monday rest day - to a weekend day if that works better for your schedule. We can chat about that some more here when you are ready. Nice work so far.

@Aimee Pultorak

• Options

@Aimee Pultorak Heads up after our call today, I went ahead and modified the next two weekends to move the ABP (Always Be Pushing) ride to friday, leaving your either Friday or Saturday to get in that longer run as you are able! Let me know how it goes. 👍

• Options

@Coach Patrick thank you! That would work out perfect! I can definitely get a ride in on Fridays while the kiddos are in school. 👍💯✔

• Options

@Aimee Pultorak Aimee, Just checking in to see how things are going? Looks like things have been busy getting the kids off to school. ~Matt

• Options

Hey @matt limbert thanks for checking in! Unfortunately I have taken the last week of training completely off. We have a nasty GI bug circulating the household and in addition my husband left to assist with the hurricane. So I've been single parenting and sick the last week. Not feeling 100% yet but definitely feeling better! I'm hoping to be back into the swing of things after this weekend

• Options
    Thanks for the note. I was wondering what was up. Wow! It's like a double
    whammy (sick + solo hurricane parent). I'm glad you are feeling better.
    We'll talk more soon.
  • Options

Aimee, Nice job getting back into it. How are you recovering from that run to honor the firefighters? I can't imagine running with that weight vest. Wow. Are you feeling better?

• Options
    Matt,
    Thank you! It was challenging but a very refreshing and humbling run! I
    am feeling better and getting back into the swing of things. Thanks for
    checking in!
This discussion has been closed.