Home New Member [First Month]
Options

Brian Lehnen Official Coach Thread [PlanEN]

Here's your personal Coach Thread, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here.

As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes [Click to Watch the Video]

Your Races

• 05/02/2020 (Running) OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini-Marathon
  • 07/26/2020 Ironman 70.3 Ohio #70.3Ohio_20 

Your Notes

2019 Chicago Marathon (4:03)

2018 Walt Disney World Marathon (3:54:03)

Previous:

2017 Muncie 70.3 (5:23:53)

2016 Muncie 70.3 (5:38:36)Running only. Ran CHI marathon on 10/14, 4-5 run WO's per week. 

Season Outline

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won't complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on Final Surge by clicking on Training Plans / My Plans. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

>> Last updated by Coach on October 16, 2019

• ✅ On 10/15/2019 Load the  -- Post Marathon / Half Marathon Plan (2wks) to end on 10/28/2019
  • ✅ On 10/29/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/25/2019
  • ✅ On 11/26/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 2 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/23/2019
  • ✅ On 12/24/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 3 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 01/20/2020
  • 🔲 On 1/6/2020  Load the    OutSeason for Triathletes (Run Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 04/12/2020
  • 🔲 🚨On 4/13/2020 Load the   MTB Plan, Ultra Distance (12 Weeks) to end on 5/30/2020 🚨
  • 🔲  🚨On 5/31/2020 Load the    EN Half Run Focused  to end on 07/26/2020🚨
  • 🔲 On 7/27/2020 Load the    Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 8/9/2020

Training Plan Support in Your First Month

You can connect with @matt limbert as needed in your first month to get dialed in with your training plans and data. You can set up a call with him online here: https://calendly.com/new-member-phone-call/1 and he'll be on this thread shortly!

Your Homework

Tell Me Your Season Goals

• What will make you consider this season a success?
  • What's your biggest limiter right now?

Start Learning

Every month we hold live events as part of our commitment to make you just as smart as you are fit. Feel free to visit our Coach Lesson page and our Office Hours page to find the next opportunity to connect with Coach Patrick and your Teammates.

Contact Points

As part of your journey to becoming a Self Coached Triathlete inside TeamEN, we are prepared to give you excellent support for your first 90 days. Our goal is to transition you from live, in-person support to using our digital resources and the Team to help you continue your progress as you execute your Three Year Plan.

These are all the key points in your first year where we must talk. Please remember to include your phone number.

• Welcome Call in Week One (set it up here)
  • Training Plan Call in Week Two to talk about your season (set it up here)
  • End of Trial Call -- We review your experience & Unlock Year One / Race Execution for you (set it up here)
  • End of Season Call -- We review your year & Strategize for your End of Year Gap and Year Two (TBD in this Coach Thread)

Questions

• Coach Questions - Right here in this thread. Always reply to this same thread, it keeps a record for us as we evolve together!
  • General Questions - Simple stuff can go to the Q & A Central Forum for the Team to answer. For example, Best Bike? How to improve run cadence? How to flip turn?
  • Need Help? - Please check the EN Help Site first!
  • Admin Questions - Billing or orders or whatnot? Use the red chat button at the bottom of the Members Site (not forums) or email us here.
  • Specific Questions about a Race or Power, etc? - You can post those into the General Discussion Forum and set the title or tags for that topic. Race questions to the Racing Forum, etc. Not sure where to post? Put it in the General Discussion forum and we will sort it out. Whatever you do, PLEASE ask your questions!!

For short or last minute questions, we recommend you use the Red Chat Icon on the main Members website.

We have also organized a complete chart of the best ways to contact us online here.

Your First Month on the Team

You have quite a few things to do when you start up. There are instructions on the top of the website, but you can review them under Resources / Trial Member Welcome.

Your First Year Inside Endurance Nation

This will be unlocked after your trial expires.

Looking forward to working with you this year,

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options

Hey Coach Patrick,

Thanks for the road map! Gah, I don't know why but I thought I listed Dirty Kanza (5/3) between the Mini and Ohio - looks like it didn't take. Assuming this will impact my training schedule so wanted to make sure I noted it. Plus, I believe it's a key EN race this year, which will be cool. Should I resubmit via normal channels or letting you know fine?

Glad to be back with the team!

Brian

• Options
    edited October 18, 2019 4:03PM

Brian, Hi its @matt limbert - you should resubmit and let Coach Patrick look into your season plan again if Dirty Kanza (super cool, BTW) is on the horizon. That would require a significant shift in focus to the bike vs run.

It would be great if you laid out your goals for those races in this Coach Thread so Coach Patrick and I can help you find the right set of plans and resources to help you prepare for that combination of races. What distance are you doing at Dirty Kanza? Are you already registered/entered?

You can update your races here: http://bit.ly/yourraces

***Click on PlanEN member - this will alert Coach Patrick to look at your season plan again.

In the meantime, the first several weeks of your plan will not change. You will stick with the Post Marathon / Half-Marathon (2 week plan) and most likely Run Durability.

@BRIAN LEHNEN

• Options
    edited October 18, 2019 10:13PM

Brian,

I'm here to help make your first 30 days as awesome as possible. I want to show you how to get the most out of your workouts, Final Surge, and learn more about how the team can help you get to your race goals. Chat with me here in this forum or schedule another call with me here: https://calendly.com/new-member-phone-call/1

First thing! Subscribe to this Coach Thread and get an email when we respond. Your Coach Thread is the best way to get a hold of us, it documents all of your training and it helps to keep the communication moving. Click on the red star and check box just to the right of your thread title. This way you will get an email when we respond in your Coach thread. See 8 sec video here to set it up: 

Get more out of Final Surge! I see you are already sync'd up in Final Surge. Your workouts are posting. Nice work! To get the most out your training - you need that workout data (DONE!) and the story behind the workout. Together, they give you (and us) the complete picture of your training. We definitely want to see those hours, miles, and heart beats - but we also want to know how you felt, mood, how mentally easy or hard the workout was, what you ate and drank on those long rides (helps dial in your fueling and hydration for long races), what went good (as a reminder) and what you want to work on next time. This helps quantify your progression and takes your Final Surge account from just workout data to a full on training log - where you become a faster athlete because you are smarter on how you respond to training You understand you better. It's like you 2.0.

Consider downloading the Final Surge App. This makes it way easier to add comments about how you felt, ate, weather etc (for the bike) and sets, paces etc (for the swim). Those are all super helpful to you as you track your progress, prepare and plan your for your race.

It's super easy to make comments about your workout. Click on the "pencil" icon to tap "how I felt" or "perceived effort." You can add a few notes about what you ate/drank (helps to figure out what works best for you on the bike), how you felt mentally, the weather or any aches etc. Those comments are really handy when you are comparing workouts, tailoring your own training, evaluating progress and planning for your ride. It also makes it easy to look at and plan for your upcoming workouts. Just a quick not goes a long way.

Final Surge | Mobile Apps

https://www.finalsurge.com/apps

Customize your workouts Final Surge

You can/will do some bike and run tests in the next few weeks. You can use your average heart rate (or power) during the test to set you customized workout zones. 

You can use that test data to customize your workouts to your individual zones. Once you customize them, the workouts will say 20' @ (135-145 heart rate) vs. 20' @ Zone 2. 

Here is how you update your training plan with integrated and customized zones (there is a video here too): 

https://www.endurancenation.us/help/final-surge-how-to-update-your-integrated-training-zones/

Your new Friends are waiting for you.

GroupMe is the live version of all things Endurance Nation. This is an app you can download to your smartphone. Visit on the web and even search if you want. The forums are our long-term memory, these chats are Team right here, right now. What to talk new bike? Power meter? Where is the best place to stay at Lake Placid etc?

My goal is to make your first month of Endurance Nation as simple and as awesome as possible! For any questions you have getting started - chat with me here in this forum or schedule another call with me here: https://calendly.com/new-member-phone-call/1

Welcome to Endurance Nation.

Talk to you soon.

• Options

@BRIAN LEHNEN

Check out our GroupMe for Gravel - there are bunch of folks on the team (myself included) that are doing/have done some gravel riding and racing. We would like you to join us:

We have a forum post for All Things Gravel too:

• Options

@BRIAN LEHNEN Just checking in with you. Nice work on your run test. Way to get after it. What did you think?

Sometime this week - update all of your plans in your training history - or at least the first phase of your Run Durability plan. That way, your new HR zones will show up in the workout descriptions when you start that plan the last week in October.

• Options
    edited October 21, 2019 5:08PM

Hey @matt limbert ,

Thanks for checking in. Wasn't intending on doing a run test, but warm up felt good and was next to a track, so gave it a go. Time felt accurate based on current fitness, so was happy with the result and glad to have my paces sorted. Updated my plans as well, so thanks for the reminder.

Still need to resubmit my roadmap to include DK200, but it's on the to-do list.

BL

• Options

@Coach Patrick , @matt limbert

Submitted an update to my original race plan to include 2 additional events that did not appear to take the first time. Guessing user error (lots of drop-downs!)? Just to clarify, going to post all my 2020 events below in hopes of getting them locked and loaded.

Glad to be back and digging all the site updates, especially the incorporation of Final Surge. Going to save myself a lot of post-it notes stuck to the treadmill :)

2020 Full schedule:

05/02 - Indy Mini Half Marathon

5/30 - Dirty Kanza 200 (Gravel)

07/26 - Ohio 70.3

11/1 NYC Marathon

Thanks,

Brian

• Options

@BRIAN LEHNEN How is the app working for you?

• Options

I resubmitted my race plan to include DK200 earlier, but haven't heard anything. Also posted to this thread back on 10/21 with the details just in case.

Not sure what else is needed to get the plan roadmap correct - any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks!

BL

• Options

@BRIAN LEHNEN I talked to Coach Patrick. He will get back with you soon about how DK impacts your Season Plan.

• Options

@BRIAN LEHNEN Sending you the same message I am sending Robin, so don't get mad. At least neither one of you is doing this epic year alone! 🤣

+++++

First, you gotta up date that photo yo. Info here, as it really helps the Team to "get to know you" a lot better.

You can do that by following this animated GIF (below)…

Second you and your twIn @Robin Rodriguez are looking to give me heartburn...got it! 🤣 I have added 6 weeks of our Ultra MTB plan into your midseason before leaving your 8sh weeks to your 70.3. This is no small task my friend; it could be an epic year without great race performances; you can always adjust as you roll on with me here, but I want to be clear. That first week back from DK will be slow...it hurts like a really hard 70.3. If you are down with that, we are good...but let me know!

Third, you should join the GroupMe Gravel Channel to stay in touch: Gravel Chat

• Options

@BRIAN LEHNEN Everything Ok? What happened last week?

This discussion has been closed.