Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

Craig’s IMFL race report

So, the tale of Ironman Florida 2019 is not necessarily interesting per se but is one that I a proud of but more importantly learn from. Far from my first IM but one of an IM rebirth for me to set me up for the next chapter of my training progression.

Was good with nutrition and hydration for two days prior and was peeing constantly. Followed through with sipping throughout the morning and peed right before the beach.

Wave swim starts often seem like a good idea but it just means a constant flow of people for 1.5 miles. I seeded myself properly but started at a time much later than when it would be age group starting. Started off with that long 70 meter walk via low time and began swimming. First two minutes were great and I actually thought this might be my second best swim (my PR will always be IM NY when I swam in the Hudson swimming with the current 

😎

). Then.... then.... I got hit with slight panic (Seems to happen in first 10 mins of every swim) where my HR spiked to 175 and I just couldn’t get it down even floating on my back etc. Held on to a kayak so slow down the breathing and wasted 5 mins. I went back to swimming and two mins later the same thing happened right when I got stung by a jellyfish on my lip. I was about to throw in the towel on the day and quit and am so glad that to this day I haven’t done it. It cost me another 5 mins of 160-170 bpm. Held onto a boat and reminded myself why I was racing and that I get to do this! I sang “what a beautiful morning what a wonderful day” and relaxed into The rest of the 3000 meter swim. Not even close to by best swim but happy I didn’t give up and overcame the obstacle. Was only able to breathe on my right side to keep my HR down so felt slight pulling on my left ab but all was good. Finished in 1:33

Longer transition due to longer distance and putting on so much extra clothing for the 48 degrees and 12-15mph winds. Calf guards, arm warmers, long sleeve cycling jersey for another layer and makeshift gloves.

I was so happy to be on the bike and she sounded so stealthy I was loving to cool weather and passing people for the ENTIRE ride. Followed through with the McCrann/Watson aggro approach to the day and executed wattage to the lap. First 12 miles moderately easy At 165-170 and then 56 miles of 180 work against the wind or cross winds. Was drinking like plan with 2-3 bottles per hour which was soooo frustrating because I had to stop at mile 40 to pee and that cost me 4-5 mins as I review the ride and then again at mile 55 for another 4-5 mins and then at mile 90 on the path so only cost me 1 min. Couldn’t pee while riding as people were too close so as not to pee on them. So I was hydrating, I was sticking to the wattage plan and then mile 68 came and it was glorious. Tailwind and able to drop wattage way down to 155-165 and was still just flying by people while my power and HR took a major break and set me up for the run. Aid stations were used for stretching and other than slight tightness on front left hip flexor things were amazing! I have never had such a smooth and consistent IM ride where my body was really good and even better my head was totally in the right place and I was beyond ready for a great ride and day. Finished the ride in 5:41

Felt good in transition and things were smooth. Went out on the run course and really worked to keep to keep HR down to such low cycling HR of 135. Mile one was good and then it hit me. My lower back seized up so tight it stopped me in my tracks. I walked a bitand then tried running slowly again. The back seized up again and again and again especially on even moderate uphill. So when I walked I race walked at 12:50 miles and as soon as the back wasn’t just crushing me I went back to running/jogging. Did this the whole was. I was taking my nutrition cue... Tried stretching to no avail and only time things got better was ever so slightly after eating a banana as well as the Base salt on the course so I did that a few times. I also felt aa bit better getting into the port o let and peeing. I kept doing the math and even though 12 hours is no way close to a PR I desperately wanted to get that time with what happened. I kept the run/walk and figured at mile 20 I had nothing to lose - I was going to finish no mater what-so it wouldn’t matter if everything was going to seize and hurt. I finished the last 4 miles averaging 8:30 pace and was happy I was running better and I could suck it all up and finish running. Finished the run in 4:24

Finished the day in 11:54

Might have been the wrong way but I negative split each leg of the race. Swim because I settled in, bike because of the winds and conditions and run I just kept getting a little aster throughout.

Have NEVER had my lower back hurt much less seize up so I need to figure that out. Tweaked from the swim? Didn’t feel it on the bike and while aero the whole way I still took moments to stretch and felt great.

IMTX ahead of me and am prepared to get better in each discipline. Back is killing me today but I’ll take it as legs feel fresh.

Help me Obi-Wan Patrick, you’re my only hope on race diagnosis.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

@Craig Watson Congrats on managing the issues through your swim. Peeing on the bike is a "must learn" skill, peeing on your bike is a great way to get those drafters off your wheel. That was a Chrissie Wellington trick. On a course like IMFL where there are no downhills to pee I try to co-ordinate it with the downwind legs. Interesting about your back on the run, could be a combo of the swim and then cold bike? Do you ever have back issues while running?

• Options

@Craig Watson Gratz on the race, and getting through those hard patches. Way to get it done and persevere!

• Options

Was drinking like plan with 2-3 bottles per hour which was soooo frustrating because I had to stop at mile 40 to pee and that cost me 4-5 mins as I review the ride and then again at mile 55 for another 4-5 mins and then at mile 90 on the path so only cost me 1 min. 

I also felt a bit better getting into the port o let and peeing

@Craig Watson Great recap and handling some very mentally challenging moments!

The back issue makes me wonder if you were drinking too much. Could your full kidneys aggravate your back? It wasn't a hot day and you might have been able to cut back on hydration. 2-3 bottles is a lot of fluid if sweat rate isn't high. Something to think about for Texas.

Congratulations !!

• Options

@Craig Watson Really, a 4:24 on the marathon with a back locked up like that is a proud accomplishment. And your persistence through the swim set you up for a positive mental attitude the rest of the way.

My thought on your back is related to the bike. I know you said "Aid stations were used for stretching", but the Florida course is so flat, that holding an aero position for such an extended period can lead to core issues - muscles between upper thighs and lower torso may not have had the R&R they needed frequently enough to allow for a free-flowing run. I remember my time on that course resulted in a 5:45 bike, followed by a run which featured smooth sailing until about mile 16, when my hip flexors went into cramp mode for the rest of the way.

Since then, I've made it a point to literally sit or stand up every 10-15 minutes, when I am taking a drink, for 20-40 breaths to give all the cycling muscles a different perspective on a regular basis. I know we're told about the value of holding the aero position almost at all costs, but if it affects the run negatively, then the few seconds lost each time I stand up are more than repaid with an easier run, IMO.