Home General Training Discussions
Options

NOS 2020 - Intro Thread

Its that time of the year again, when we start to enter into the OS (OutSeason) and begin building for those early races next year. To kick this off @Ralph Moore your bike captain has provided some excellent guidance for getting your bike pain cave ready in his - NOS Bike Tune Up! thread.

So to help see who will be joining us in this year's Nov OS, I'm kicking off this thread so we can introduce ourselves and provide some background on; what number OS this is for you, which plan you may be doing (run vs bike focus), goals/races you are targeting, and anything else you want to toss out there.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    edited October 28, 2019 6:28PM

I’m Patrick Hayden, I’ll be your run captain for the Nov OS. This is my 9th year with EN, 6th OS, and 2nd time helping as a run captain. This year I’ll be on the bike focus plan, but my background/strength has always been the run from short -> ultra-distances.

Current goals are to really strengthen up the bike and prepare for IM St George in May and then 70.3 worlds in Nov 2020. I did IM SG in 2012 and I am hoping to have a better showing, with hopefully less wind/waves then we had that year. I am also hoping to put a bit more focus on the core/strength training this OS.

I look forward to talking with you over this years OS, and if you have any questions or need anything ask away in the forums, group me, Facebook, or message me or @Ralph Moore and we will do what we can to help get you answers.

• Options

This will be my 9th OS here at EN, although my first long course triathlon was in 1982. I struggled with injury in 2017-2018, and returned with a very consistent 2019, finishing with an AG win in late September. I maintained an active recovery over the last 4 weeks, and Zwifted to a 2019-best FTP last week. I’m steadily building RD volume, and will start Bike-Focused NOS with good body comp. I am a fish, and plan to continue swimming during the winter in an attempt to break 60s at age 60 for the 100Free at USMS Spring Nationals in late April. If all goes well, I’m hoping to build to a successful IMCOZ in November... my first since 2013. I’m looking forward to 14-weeks of smart, hard WORK. I am quick to take a day off, because rest results in breakthroughs ;-)

• Options

This is my 6th OS with Team EN. I last raced long course in 2014 with 70.3 in '15 and '16 before being retired. Currently, I am a pretty consistent bike rider while participating in select running events, mostly with my grown daughters.

I will be @Patrick Hayden 's sidekick to assist with encouragement through the weeks to come. I just set an all time high FTP in the Sunday Bump race about a month ago and look forward to continuing to improve over the OS.

I am available for any questions about things OS or Team EN. As Patrick said above, please feel free to post questions in the weekly thread or PM me directly. Now, go out there and do your best and, above all, have fun!

• Options

Hello everyone; I just received an EN old timer badge 😳. Funny though! I think I joined EN back in 2008 but have been on a 5 year sabbatical from triathlon. I thought it was going to to be a 4 year sabbatical last year but life took my path another direction, so I am back with determination to again race an Ironman. IM Santa Rosa is my carrot.

I recently cleaned up my pain cave, dusted off the bike, and have been attempting to remember how one downloads data from my power meter into Training Peaks. It’s a re-education. Luckily I have not been solely a couch potato over the last 5 years; rather have a fairly consistent activity level of running a 6 mile loop and mountain biking. I just have not been on my road, or tri bike, in about two years.

i have great memories of prior OS sessions and am looking forward to obtaining the endorphin bug again where one desires to have some kind of workout scheduled . Work Works and let’s make this journey a fun time. Oh, BTW.... I’m male aged 57, 6 full IMs but two as DNFs.

• Options

@David Ambrose Welcome back! Clearly the old time badge refers to experience rather than age.

• Options

First OutSeason, and I am psyched! I am still pretty new to triathlons, so some of you guys/gals are speaking a foreign language to me, but ready to work!

I was working on the Heads/Tails document this week, and struggled with finding/calculating vDOT and Normalized Power. I finally found vDOT calculators on the interwebs, but not quite sure where to get Normalized Power.

My question for the group: Where do you source this info vDOT and NP? I currently ride on Stages crank arm power meter, and a Stages Dash computer. I added NP to the dash display, so hopefully that takes care of that... but I was surprised that I couldn't get a NP reading for my last test anywhere on Stages Link. Is this just one another one of those reasons why I need to be working on Training Peaks???

Thanks!

• Options

I'm Janyne Kizer. I've been with EN for one year. This is my first OutSeason. I'm coming off the St. George marathon in October and I have loaded up the Bike Focused plan per Coach P's direction.

I'm looking forward to having an OS group to touch base with!

• Options

Hey, all! I'm starting the OS with a touch of plantar fasciitis in my left foot, so I'm going to be bike-heavy for a bit. Running aggravates it, so I'm hoping to become a bike monster, then start easy running when I can. May swim some, too.

I'm planning a BIG BIG year next year -- IMTX (need an early season race to keep me motivated through the winter), IMLP (redemption race), and IMLOU (local tri club race). Also thinking about the Blue Ridge camp.

• Options

Its been a while like David, I've been away for a few years. I'm at the time where its more important to do things with my kids before they leave stage... But I'm going to give the Nov OS a shot, if only to help keep me in shape. No races planned. I just want to be able to do my speed workouts with my daughter on her slow days ;-) She is running 9th grade cross country now (and already on varsity).

@David Ambrose Its sad that Chalk hill (on IM Santa Rosa bike course) is on fire yesterday/today. A lot of the bike course is going to be going through burned area's next year. Hopefully they get the fires out quickly.

• Options

I had not heard about Chalk Hill. I did the full Vineman twice and remember that hill... The whole situation in Sonoma is very sad.

• Options

Hi, I'm Pat Koss. Been with EN for a few years and have done the OS in my years. I age up in 2020 to 65 (yep) and I took a whole year off in 2019 with a 2020 goal 18 months out to get back on the podium in 2020 at a 70.3 (I've kinda mentally signed off full IM's, but never say never).

So the focus for me is to get much faster. I've been sizing up the win times in the 65-69 AG to help me in race selection. If you have any suggestions (Arkansas is home so close is best) I would welcome your input. I have one on the calendar so far (Traverse City in August) and will add one to two more in 2020.

• Options

Hi, my name is Scott Imlay. This will be my 5th outseason (gulp). Like many of you, I'm doing IMSG in May.

I have a couple of things that are complicating the early stages of NOS for me. First, I'm going on a 10-day Vacation to Maui on Friday. This means limited cycling in the first two weeks. I'll substitute lots of great running in the sun! Second, I'm doing my first 50K trail race on December 14 (the Deception Pass 50K). The compromise prescribed by @Coach Patrick is to do the NOS during the week and a Marathon plan on the weekend until I'm done with the 50K.

St George will be my 3rd IM. The first two (2018 IM Boulder and 2019 IMCA) have ended in a death march for much of the run (times of 6:36 and 6:00 respectively). This very frustrating for me - I'm pretty certain I can do a sub-5-hour marathon off the bike if I can get my gastrointestinal issues under control. This is one of the reasons I'm doing the 50K in December - to practice nutrition at Marathon heart-rate over a long run.

With all that in mind, my goal in the NOS is to improve in all three disciplines such that I can execute a good marathon off the bike at St George.

I'm not yet sure what races I'll do after St George. I'll probably do Coeur d'Alene 70.3 (it's the closest race to home). I'm also thinking about doing a late season IM like Arizona.

• Options

Hi all! I’m a long-time EN member, with a few years off. Started tris in 2009 and raced til 2016 (all distances) then decided to strive to be mediocre in one sport vs. really crappy in 3. 😉 So I’ve just been doing bike racing since. Road races, TTS, Crit and cyclocross. I had 2 knee surgeries in 2017/18 and lost like all my fitness. (I was injured, recoverng, rehabbing, etc from 9/17-8/18). I’ve worked with cycling only coaches but I was super frustrated at my lack of fitness regain so I’m going back to what I know works for me so here I am doing the Cycling only OS! I’ll be doing things a little off planas Cyclocross race season goes til mid-December and I also ride outdoors year round, mostly, so there may be some group rides on weekends but I should be able to make it all work. Looking forward to training with you all!

• Options

@Rob Tune The Wiki has lots of info on power and testing. Go http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/Wiki/tabid/91/Default.aspx?topic=EN+Power+Training+Resources

@Janyne Kizer Welcome! the OS is where the work (and lots of fun) happens. You seem to have found the NOS threads, consider the Groupme message threads listed on the dashboard to stay in contact with teammates on a more casual basis.

@Catherine Branch I highly recommend the Blue Ridge Camp. That is an ambitious schedule but that gives you lots of motivation! Just concentrate on the bike, that running stuff is overrated (said the Bike thread leader) ;)

@Peter Carroll Like you, I am not racing Tri these days. I train to stay in shape and to do the odd race with my girls in Nashville, Charleston, or Atlanta where they live. I do love the NOS because of the structure that keeps me focused.

@PatKoss Go Man! It is great to see you back in the race mindset.

• Options

Realized I'd not posted here yet. I'll get my signature updated at some point.

EN since 2013. OS annually since, although less faithfully executed last year due to life circumstances (new job, move; many have already heard my complaining...). Experiencing some proximal hamstring tendinopathy (at least tentatively) currently, so I'll be taking it easy on running (mostly) initially in OS.

First (and currently only purchased) race is IMSG, like many others. My biggest complication in doing that race will be battling with my current weight, so I'll be working on that during the OS.

Looking forward as always to eating this elephant (there I am again with the weight issues...) with everyone!

• Options

Hi everyone!

I've been with EN since 2011, took a hiatus in 2013 due to crash induced surgery at IMLT; then another in 2017 after back to back IM's in 2016 , (IMMT in August and Kona in October) My back literally failed me in January of 2017 and it took time to recover/rehab and decide if I wanted to continue. I did last year and completed Victoria 70.3. I went on to do some fun 1/2 marathons; Avenue of the Giants in the redwoods, The Madison 1/2 Marathon in the Gravelly Mtn Range in Montana (topped out at 9700 feet) and "The Rut" 11k in Big Sky Montana. I would do them all again! Very challenging and fun!

Have done many OS's and looking forward to getting back into it in hopes of competing at Santa Rosa 70.3. Waiting to see if the fire will affect the race or not. Trying to stay fit and healthy as I age.

• Options

Is there a GroupMe other than EN Zwift Chat, EN Run Group, and EN Live that I should be following? If so, could you please invite me?

• Options

There is one for swimming but I am no longer subscribed to it, the chlorine made my eyes burn.