Homeโ€บ Racing Forum ๐ŸŽ
Options

Kryvicky's IMFL Race Report - The one where I turn from Athlete to Superfan in the blink of 6 hours

Hi team and @Coach Patrick !

So here is my 2019 IMFL Race Report.

Short version: DNF at mile 58 of the bike, severe leg cramps made it impossible to move fast enough to keep pace. Went back and went out to the run course to cheer on everyone and then back to the finish line to watch the 16 hour plus finishers. Had a freaking blast! Mentally I am strong AF now and I conquered my fear of the ocean (This was IMFL #2 for me and my 4th race in the ocean so it was a long time coming lol!)

Long version:

I did not sleep well or eat well at least 2 weeks prior to the race. My Garmin body battery showed me taking a dive somewhere about October 25th and it never got back up past 30, most days in the teens. I was wiped out and stressed.

Hit PCB Wednesday - had a headache all week and felt generally pretty poopy. I figured it was the taper flu and ignored it until while at dinner Thursday night when my Garmin's abnormal HR alert went off... 3 times. I have it set for 100bpm during sedentary HR. My RHR was between 80-100 that week - wow. I took my BP when back to the condo and it was 144/110. Took it again Friday and it was nearly the same. Saturday it was better 129/89.

I knew the moment I hit the water that I was going to have my 2nd IMFL finish as the day's temperatures were PERFECT for me and right in my Michigan wheelhouse. The swim felt AWESOME the entire time, even when a guy grabbed my head and pushed me underwater (REALLY?! You couldn't feel me?!) and I found my easy groove and just swam. I did have crazy cramps getting out of the water to start lap 2, but was able to work them out with about 200m of swim to spare. Exited the water grinning ear to ear and felt that this was my day!

Got peeled, hit the shower, got my bag and walked to T1. It is on like Donkey Kong! I wore a dry aero top plus arm warmers and my tri shorts. No socks, Tri shoes. I put a spare transition bag under my aero top to act like a wind breaker - it was the PERFECT choice of gear for the ride. I felt really comfy the entire time.

I felt good on the ride just riding along the first 10 miles until about the overpass where my adductor muscles in my left leg started to cramp wildly. Odd. I put on some anti cramp cream and carried on. Then my calf started to cramp - then my quad then my shin on another leg then that calf then my other quad. It was like a sadistic game of Simon for 48 miles. I couldn't move my legs fast enough to keep my pace and found myself averaging 14 mph which is not horrible but I would need to pick up the pace soon to be able to make the run cutoffs. HOWEVER I knew better than to worry about that and stayed in the box. I managed cramp by cramp and finally at the aid station before special needs I realized that the cramping was so bad that I could not even keep 10mph and the pain was now wearing on me mentally.

I barely made it to special needs, put down my bike and cried in frustration. My day was done. I knew there had to be a tail wind soon - but I could not get my legs to function anymore and missed any opportunity to make time cut offs moving forward. I was getting swept one way or another so I called in SAG.

I drank my infinit with extra electrolytes and amino acids in it every 15 minutes and took in a BASE gel (Salted watermelon) at about mile 40 something. I was on point with my eating and drinking and even tried to eat additional just to help get the cramping gone - nothing worked!

So I am going to my Dr to see about my BP medication. I am on Lisinopril (and ACE inhibitor)and Amlodipine (a calcium channel blocker). I have been having cramps in the swim ever since starting these meds and I am wondering if there is any connection or just coincidence. I know that there are potassium concerns with Lisinopril but I am not feeling lethargic or tingly so I am not thinking it is that - I am wondering if it is the increased stress load effecting my magnesium and Vit b levels, combined with higher BP than normal, combined with everything else. I think I may have been in a mg deficit going into race week and was not able to pull myself out of it.

Any input is welcomed! I need to get this in check before IMTX so that this does not happen again. And I am going BACK to IMFL next year as well. I decided that I am in a good place mentally and I learned SO MUCH from 2019 - I cannot wait to apply it all to 2020!

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

@Jenniferlyn Kryvicky I was sad to see you had to call it early on GroupMe, but you did the right thing pulling out when you did. But it was definitely great to have you out there cheering us on.

As to the cramping based on how early you started cramping (with no temp issues factoring in) that it was likely that you went in with an imbalance. I would definitely check with the DR to see what they have to say, I know there has been some medicine I have taken which through everything out of whack for me, causing similar cramping issues.

Don't let this small setback get you down, you brought a lot of enthusiasm to the IM FL group, use it to drive you to your next big race in Texas.

• Options
    edited November 9, 2019 1:07PM

@Jenniferlyn Kryvicky , what a bummer. It was great seeing you out there. Those first two hours on the bike were super cold, and I know I've suffered serious muscle tension/cramps when dealing with cold like that. We never know what race day is going to throw at us, so we just keep going back and taking another swing. Best of luck on your build to and race at IMTX.

Mike