Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

Jeff Phillips 2019 IMAZ Race Plan

Thanks in advance for reading. This is my second full Ironman, but first full distance tri with EN, and I greatly appreciate any thoughts and guidance.

I’m 45 year-old, 6’ tall, and will race at 163-165 lbs. FTP is 245 and VDOT around 47, although I don’t train or race to VDOT.   

I’ve had a good first year with EN and learned that I am capable of more work than I had previously thought. Below is a summary of my 2018-19 training/ racing: 

-         Four rounds of RDP: October to December 2018

-         Jan OS: January to April 

-         Get in Gear Half Marathon (1hr 36min, PR): April

-         HIM Bike Focus Plan: May to August

-         Superiorman 70.3 (4hr 51min, PR, 8th overall): August

-         IM Bike Focus Plan: September to November

The IM build has gone really well and outside of a quick 5-day trip to Hong Kong in Week 15, I’ve hit the workouts and am satisfied with my fitness heading into the race. 

Given this is only my second full distance race (I feel I have to say “only” with this team), I’m not going to put time goals in this race plan. I’d like to execute to my ability, continue to learn to race the full distance, correct some mistakes from my first Ironman, and focus on process goals for each part of the day.

Pre-Race

Wednesday Key Activities

-         Check-in to hotel

-         30 min shake-out run

-         Find local grocery store and buy food for the week

-         Buy two $20 Starbucks gift cards

Thursday Key Activities

-         Swim if possible - location TBD

-         Soak wetsuit in bath tub to loosen it up (I have not swum in it since late Sept)

-         Pick-up bike from Tri Bike Transport: install pedals, inflate tires, check over, sync Edge 500 and Garmin 935, calibrate Quarq and let GPS update location. Lightly lube pedals and cleats

-         Race registration

-         Quickly cruise IM village

-         Attend athlete briefing

-         Drive run course

-         Organize T1/ T2/ Special Needs bags. Mark bags with colorful tape and string

-         T1 bag: Helmet, bike shoes, chamois cream, Vaseline (for toes), gloves/ vest/ arm warmers TBD based on temp, bag with 5 tums, sunscreen stick, spare contacts, small towel to dry off, $20 Starbucks gift card

-         T2 bag: Nike Vaporfly Next %, socks, Go bag (race belt with number, visor, sunglasses, race saver bag, small bag with Tums, 6 sleeve clif blocks), small Vaseline tub, sunscreen spray, $20 Starbucks gift card

-         Bike special needs bag: 2 CO2, spare tube, 23 mm tire, 25 mm tire, emergency nutrition (3 small clif bars and 1 EFS liquid shot flask), 2 small chamois creams, 5 tums

-         Run special needs bag: 2 small chamois cream, bag with tums/ Immodium/ Gas X 

Friday Key Activities

-         Sleep in

-         30 min run – go to the “hill” on the run course and scout that out?

-         Swim if possible - location TBD

-         TBD drive course or ride part of course with a lot of EN’rs

-         Attend opening ceremony

-         Team dinner 6:30

-         Bed early

Saturday Key Activities

-         Sleep in

-         Big breakfast

-         Watch Ironkids race with my children @ 10 am

-         Likely not doing Practice Swim  

-         Double check bike, transition bags (put ton of vaseline in toes of bike shoes and baby powder in run socks), and special needs bags

-         Hydrate with Nuun throughout day

-         Bike and gear check-in 12:00 - 1:00 pm – let air out of tires, cover seat and handlebars with plastic bags

-         Walk transition area and take photos

-         Lunch

-         Feet up for the afternoon

-         Early dinner – 5ish?

-         Prepare race morning gear: race kit; wet suit; goggles; morning clothes; charge Garmin 935, Edge 500, Stryd

-         Review race plan and review transition area pictures

-         Timing chip on with safety pin

-         9:00 bed

Race Day

-         Up at 3:30

-         Breakfast: full bagel and peanut butter, banana, Naked juice smoothie

-         Prepare bike nutrition: 1 bottle EFS Pro (240 cal), 3 flasks EFS with a little water in aero bottle, water for between arms

-         Go to transition at 5 am – given proximity of hotel I am debating getting bike set up, then going back to room to change

-         Bike set-up: Put nutrition on bike, pump up tires, check gearing, put nutrition on bike, turn on Edge 500 and sync but not calibrate, check brakes for rubbing

-         Drop off special needs bags

-         Back to room to change: Tri suit, HR strap, Garmin 935, loads of chamois cream and Body Glide, grab wetsuit

-         Sip GE throughout morning

-         Walk with family to start area, photos, hugs, kisses

-         Team EN photo TBD time

-         6:30ish wetsuit on, drop off morning clothes bag

-         6:45 take ¼ of EFS Liquid Shot flask with water

Swim

Line up towards front of 1:10-1:20 group

Process Goals: Remember key body awareness points

-         Start Garmin 935

-         Swim as quick as I can maintain form, but maintain consistent effort throughout swim

-         Focus on smooth strokes

-         Sight every 8th stroke

-         Touch thumb to thigh at end of stroke throughout swim – I tend to shorten my stroke as I get tired

-         Focus on body rotation and small kick – I get lazy in my wetsuit, drag my feet, and don’t rotate as much or use a small kick to help my feet stay on the surface

-         Exhale under water – I tend to hold my breath more as I get fatigued, which can lead to a painful, bloated stomach after the swim

T1

Upon exiting water:

-         Cycle Garmin 935 to transition

-         Wetsuit to waist, goggles up on head

-         Find the burliest wetsuit strippers I can

-         Grab bike bag, do not go in changing tent

-         Quickly dry off with small towel

-         Sunscreen stick on face and back of neck

-         Helmet on

-         Vaseline across tops of toes

-         Take tums if stomach bloated/ upset out of water

-         Tri shoes on

-         Gloves, arm warmers, vest TBD on temperature

-         Find volunteer to put wetsuit in bag, mention $20 Starbucks gift card

-         Cycle Garmin 935 and start Edge 500 at mount line

Bike

Process Goals: Maintain effort, stay aero, follow-nutrition plan, respond to body as needed

-         My bike nutrition plan is start with a 24 oz bottle of EFS Pro (for the first hour) then switch to GE (one per hour) after that. Three flasks of EFS Liquid Shot, five small Clif bars, along with sips of water. I am taking an extra 400 calories of Liquid Shot in case the cooler temps make me pee too much, and I’ll adjust down my GE intake. This equates to ~350 cal per hour, 80 g carb per hour, ~950 mg sodium. EFS Pro/ GE/ water separated by 10 min intervals, with pulls of Liquid shot at the ½ hr point and the Clif bar at the 1 hr point. 

Once on course:

-         Ride easy to top of Beeline Hwy, 160-168 watts, HR of 115-120

-         Rest of ride should be 170-175 watts, likely closer to 170. HR 125-130. Expect last hour to be around 135. Dial back watts if HR at 138, or RPE increases, or any body aches. VI of .69-.71, closer to .69. I have my Edge 500 set to auto lap every 5 miles to keep on top of cumulative effort

-         Watch for increased power on 8-10 miles of false flat of Beeline. Monitor HR and RPE

-         Maintain aero position, get out of saddle to stretch back and legs at each turn around point

-         Maintain watts on downhill and don’t chase mph

-         Monitor how many times I need to pee. Make every effort to pee on bike. If cooler temps cause me to pee more, switch to more solid nutrition

-         High situational awareness through aid stations. Point to each volunteer and grab GE and water

-         Smile and say hi if I see family

Any additional perspective and recommendations on the bike course from IMAZ veterans is greatly appreciated!

T2

Upon entering transition area:

-         Cycle Garmin 935 to transition

-         Stop Edge 500

-         Hand off bike and thank volunteer

-         Take helmet off going to transition area

-         Do not go in transition tent

-         Tri shoes off, Vaseline on bits, socks on, shoes on, Grab go bag and go! (race belt, sunglasses, visor, 6 sleeves of chews, race saver bag, hand held bottle with water TBD) 

-         Porta potty stop if needed

Run

Process Goals: Maintain form, be aware of cadence and breathing, watch HR and observe RPE

-         My run nutrition plan is 2 Clif blocks with water at start of run and then on even miles (alternating between Cherry with caffeine and Margarita flavor with extra sodium) for as long as I can stomach them. GE and any water needed at the odd mile aid stations. This combo has worked well on my long runs, but I will be open to adjusting based on how my stomach feels getting off the bike. I’m going to go with GE as long as I can since I haven’t had a Coke/ RedBull in 20+ years and don’t train with them. I am a little worried what GI issues might show up if I started to drink them, given my stomach will likely be shot later in the run anyway  

Once on course:

-         Miles 1-6: HR should not go above 135. Pace will be Zone 1 + 30”, 9:25-9:35 per mile, 240-245 watts for power

-         Walk aid stations to get water and/ or GE down. Ice in race saver bag as needed. Ice and water on head as needed to stay cool

-         Pass on good mojo to any ENrs I see on the course!

-         Miles 7-18: Patiently work to TRP, 8:15-8:25. HR should be high 130s, low 140s – but expect it to be higher with sun and temps. Power 265 –270 watts. In my first IM, I couldn’t find the “go” switch during these miles of the marathon and hope to be able to maintain a RPE of 7 or so and push through this part

-         Walk and chat with wife and kids when I see them on the course. Remember to smile, smile, smile! 

-         Miles 19-End: Increase pace if feeling okay, but monitor HR. Increase effort as needed to maintain pace if I can’t speed up. HR okay to get into 150s during last 10K of run. Drop shoulders and arms to release tension

-         Expect it to hurt and be okay with it!

Thanks in advance if you’ve hung on this long!  

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

looks like you got it covered.

i too don't see the benefit of the swim the day before.

see you soon.

looking forward to sharing the course.

• Options

@Jeff Phillips, very well thought out plan, very analytical and detailed.

I saw your swim times on Strava and if you can swim Red Mist in 1:30/100m i'm not sure why you would swim with the 1:10-1:20 group. I would join the 1hour -1-10 group and try to get someone to get some draft.

For the rest i think you're well prepared. Enjoy the race and I'm looking forward to the race report.

• Options

Good race plan. Thanks for posting it. Your first six mile run pace is conservative compared to the goal pace after mile six. Surely can't hurt, but if you felt good it might be okay to go slightly faster? Your conservative approach to the bike and early run should leave you set up to crush some dreams in the second half of the marathon. Can't wait to see it unfold! See you out there.

• Options

@Jeff Phillips Solid plan, my only comment/questions is do you need a swim. Both Thursday and Friday are an "if possible" and Saturday is a not likely. You mention not using your wetsuit in several months so if you need to get out make it happen one of those early days.

Have a great race.

• Options

@Jeff Phillips Clearly you've assimilated all the important race execution details and strategy from EN. I like your process goals for the swim, especially " Swim as quick as I can maintain form, but maintain consistent effort throughout". Just bear in mind, that, on all three legs of the race, maintaining constant effort is a ticket to slowing down. It's OK to *feel* like you're working harder on the way back as long as long as you can maintain your form.

Your watts/HR for the bike are spot on, given your w/kg of 3.3. gain, don't be afraid to feel like the third loop is harder than the first, as long as you're power is holding steady. Watch you HR after the final turn off of Beeline, and use that as a marker for the start of your run.

If you have undercooked the bike a bit, you'll have four hours on the run to make up for it! Based on your HIM times this summer, even with the shortened swim, a 2:36/1:36 on the bike run should give you a lot of confidence going into this race. The trick will be to restrain your exuberance on the first loop around the lake. I'm sure you've heard me say this before, but if you're aware of your breathing during the first 8 miles, you're working too hard! Once you hit the Curry St hill - the only real hill on the course - you can start to breath a bit, but don't even think that you're working hard until you get to run special needs. From there on out, it's a game of ignoring the increasingly distressful signals coming from your legs, and let your fitness carry you forward. You'll be surprised at your ability to keep going strong. By the time you hit the top of Curry Hill the second time around, you can start to throw caution to the winds.

• Options

Good plan!

you can recon run the hill or also ride it if you don’t want to run it

if you have di2 don’t forget to charge it on Friday.

• Options

Thanks everybody, I appreciate your thoughts.

@robin sarner Thanks, I'll see you in AZ in a few weeks!

@Vincent Sivirine I'd love to be in the 1 hr group, but open water experience shows I'll be between 1 hr 10 and 1 hr 20 on the swim (hopefully). I'll find some feet in that group.

@Sid Wavrin Play defense until mile 18!\

@Gordon Cherwoniak I'd like to swim once or twice during the week if I can hook up a pool, but I am not going to do the day before swim at the race site

@Al Truscott Thank you for your thoughts, I appreciate you taking the time to read through my plan. Good reminder to keep pushing as the fatigue builds -- in all three sports. I'm excited to share the course with you!

• Options

@Jeff Phillips You've come a long ways on dialing in your fueling! This looks great. The only way to find out if it works is game day. 😉

Keep in mind that if you feel thirsty try to sip some water instead of calories. Carry some mint TUMS on the run for just in case. Sometimes just waking up your mouth with a mint can help when taste fatigue sets in.

Have a great race Jeff!

• Options

Very detailed. I enjoyed reading. I'm sure you'll crush this race. Good luck!! @Jeff Phillips

• Options

@Sheila Leard Thank you very much, I'm very appreciative of the suggestions you provided earlier this year. It's worked in training, so let's see what race day brings!

@Carl Alleyne Thanks for the positivity!

• Options

Looks like a solid plan and watching your workouts your ready to have a great day, enjoy it.

• Options

Good plan @Jeff Phillips, I agree with the comment on moving up a swim slot based on what I've seen in your training, stay positive and cognitive all day and I'm sure you'll have a good one. Good luck 👍️

• Options

Thanks @Dave Legg and @KARL BONNER . I do appreciate you all taking a read through the plan and providing comments.

• Options
    edited November 14, 2019 2:52PM

@Jeff Phillips

You've put together a solid plan to execute that fitness engine I have been watching you meticulously build over the last 12 weeks!

Was a pleasure training with you virtually each day.

Your greatest asset is to leverage the team of veterans you will be racing with. Use that gift to it's fullest extent...

I expect great execution from you on 11/24. Keep your box as big as you can for as long as you can and when the box starts to feel small, tiny and unbearable, trust your fitness, remember and remind yourself that you did the work and you belong at this race!

KMF my friend!

• Options

@Shaughn Simmons Thank you for your note. It's been inspiring watching you and others progress thru the build this fall. I've learned a lot from the team in my first year and hope to be able to pay it back one day.

Crush COZ and take no prisoners!

• Options

@Jeff Phillips great, well thought plan.

Be sure to walk the transition area to get familiar with it prior to Sunday. When I did this last in 2016, you had to go through the changing tent to get out of transition. I "changed" outside where it was bright and dropped my bag in the pile with others and went straight through the tent without stopping.

Can't wait to share the course with you. Good Racing!

• Options

IMAZ is my best time IM among many, the 2nd time I did it. The 2nd time, I purposely held back on the bike and went about 10 minutes slower than my first IMAZ, but then crushed my run time on the 2nd time cause my legs were much fresher. My two cents..... steady effort, nothing too exciting on the first two bike loops, then up effort a bit on 3rd bike loop (because you will have that in reserve from not over extending on the first two loops). I remember passing soo many folks on the 3rd loop; majority of field had nothing left on final descent down Beeline so they went easy, but I was able to push the effort on the way back into town and blew past many. I kind of did the run the same way....steady on first loop then a gradual build in effort thereafter. I kind of feel that for IMAZ, the final loops of both the bike and run (assuming you saved some energy from the earlier loops) is the place and time to "go for it".

Beast of luck and remember to have fun and enjoy the experience.

• Options

@David Ambrose Thank you for those insights. I will incorporate and keep top of mind.

• Options

Thorough indeed. I do plan to splash and dash on Saturday I like to see how cold it feels, downside is getting wetsuit wet (I have an extra for that purpose) obviously not necessary. Love you block selection I usually combine 1 cherry and 1 margarita :-) I think its going to be a bit cold this year (currently forecast is high of 66) , probably wont need that race saver bag or ice, because of the cold transitions will be a bit slow, concentrate on prepping for that cold but eliminate extra moving parts. Skip driving the run course , most of it is on paths, "the hill" is easy enough to check out. Good Skill !

• Options

@Jeff Phillips - That looks like a race plan written by a veteran. If you stick to that, including all the great input you will do great! Enjoy the day and race smart!

• Options

Thanks @tim cronk and @Brian Hagan I look forward to meeting you both in a few days

• Options

@Jeff Phillips - Good through plan! You've had a great training year and now it's time to execute a smart race. Patience and discipline will get you to mile 18 with enough in the tank to finish strong. Have a great race!