Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

2020 "Al Camp"

2020 will be the sixth year I've offered to host EN members at a camp based out of my home in Aspen/Snowmass, Colorado. Officially know as the AspEN Al T'Tude Bad Ass Camp, we are based on the sunny side of the Snowmass ski area, surrounded by dirt and paved bike and running trails, and a vast collection of road cycling options from 20-200 miles into the Rocky Mtns. The house will hold 12-15 campers. We usually have a wide variety of abilities amongst the campers, but one thing they all share is a love of testing their limits, and having fun with like-minded athletes. Here's a summary of our camp from several years ago:

Dates for the Spring camp this year will be from May 24-June 14. That doesn't mean the camp is three weeks long! Rather, those are the dates I will be there, planning on two separate weeks:

May 30-June 8: The will be the infamous Bad Ass camp proper. People will be arriving on Sat/Sun May 30/1, and leaving 5-8 days later.

June 7-13: This camp is specifically designed to incorporate the Ragnar Trail relay, based one mile downhill from my house. The Ragnar itself is June 11-13, and anyone wanting to add a little biking on the from end is welcome to come earlier. Here's a link to the Ragnar: https://www.runragnar.com/event-detail/trail/snowmass_co#overview Depending on the number of people who join the relay, each person would run anywhere from 14 (8 people) to 112 miles (1 person) over a 24 hour period. All the runs are on primarily single-track.

The cost of the camp itself is $15/day to cover housekeeping and group food, plus whatever you want to spend on bike rental, transport, dinners out. The Ragnar cost is around $1200 for a team of 8 (or fewer, down to 5), or $750 for a team of 4 or fewer.

If you want to (a) express interest, (b) learn more, or (c) sign up, you can reply in this thread, hit me up in one fo the GroupMe Chats, or email me @ al@bikrutz.org

Also, for those who plan ahead, I will be in Snowmass during the BEST time of the year, preparing for my last go-around in Kona, from Sept 15-28. Folks getting ready for IMs Chatt, MD, Louisville, Kona, FL, AZ, Coz might find a week or more training at altitude will provide not only a boost of EPO, but also strength and confidence.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

@Al Truscott I'm interested! Sounds like a great time.

• Options

@Al Truscott , I'm going to email you too, but I'll add an update on my camp dates. I added Steelhead 70.3 to my schedule on 6/28. So I would like to come to the earlier wave of Al camp if possible. I'll be sad to miss Ragnar, but I think getting in Steelhead in my backyard will be a great benchmark before IMMT 2020 (and I'm long overdue for actually racing a triathlon). So I'll plan on a Saturday 5/30 arrival and leave Sunday or Monday 6/7 or 6/8 (need to look at flights to decide). I'm excited to hear who else is coming this year and what dates. @Carl Alleyne would be awesome to have you join!

• Options

Al,

It looks like I am going to try to be there June 4-7 (but I'll get in late on 6/4). Just waiting on my call schedule for that month before I am sure.

Thanks!

• Options

Al - I tried emailing you at al@bikrutz.org but was blocked. Something I should know?

• Options

@Stephanie Stevens - Got it!

@Andrew Lustigman @Carl Alleyne I've got both of your interest noted.

I'll be sending out a camp update sometime this week; headline is Camp will be May 30-June 7, with no Ragnar (which is the following weekend) unless there is a late clamor for that. Campers can come and go for any or all of the above dates; I think we'll have enough beds for everyone who's expressed interest so far.

For fun, here's the latest review of the house posted on VRBO from the New Year's renters:

"The house is fabulous. Great location, very close to Snowmass and Buttermilk and an easy drive to Aspen. You are literally 5-7 minutes from parking at Snowmass Mountain resort. The house is also easily accessible during big snows.

Here are the things we most appreciated about the house that really set it apart:

(1) Three washers, three dryers. Seriously.

(2) Very comfortable beds, extra pillows, down comforters--SO nice

(3) Nice towels and enough for 20 people

(4) Spacious house with several kings, bunks, twins--everyone could spread out

(5) Huge dining area for big family/group meals

(6) Great hot tub with easy to use instructions--and amazing views

(7) Spacious living room with great TV, fireplace that was easy to use

(8) A collection of 20 or more board games (some brand new and unopened). We had a blast playing games we hadn't played in years and there was something for every age--the Lite Bright was a huge hit. Not to mention a large and varied vinyl collection and a turntable which my husband loved.

(9) Most importantly the most well stocked kitchen I have ever seen in a rental. You can actually cook real meals in this house with top notch, new appliances. There is every pan, every tool, and every utensil you could possibly need. It actually became a game to see if we could need something this kitchen didn't have--we quit when I needed baker's twine for my herb bundle and the kitchen ACTUALLY HAD BAKERS TWINE. There are 5 cookie sheets.... 5! Seriously, its a great kitchen. I was able to cook real meals for a group of 10.

Probably one of the best houses I've encountered on VRBO. "

My son takes his job very seriously - https://www.vrbo.com/327001

• Options

If I only had MORE vacation, I'd so be there!

• Options

Hi Everyone,

I've made my reservations and I'm flying into Denver on May 30. I get in around 7 PM so I will probably just stay in Denver at my daughter's house that night and drive up on Sunday. However, if anyone else is coming in on Saturday and wants to share a vehicle with me then I would drive up Saturday evening.

I'm planning on leaving Al's on Saturday. My daughter and her boyfriend have asked me to do the Elephant Rock Ride with them on Sunday so I want to get back for that.

I'm looking forward to sharing a great week with all of you.