Home General Training Discussions

Zwift on AppleTV

I'm interested in running Zwift on an Apple TV and I have a few questions

If you do this, do you find that the 32GB model works fine?

What ANT+ bridge do you use? Do any of you have experience with the NPE model or is the 4iiii HR monitor the way to go here?

I'm not sure about the custom workouts? Is this something that I need? Is it still a limitation with Apple TV?

Bonus question: What headset do you use for Discord

Tagged:

Comments

• Hmm, it looks like Discord and Apple TV are a no go. Is that the case?

• I just got my Zwift Apple TV setup going. I was actually very surprised how easy it was to set up. I have the 32GB one and have no issues with it. I am not using an ANT+ bridge, just using Bluetooth. I believe you can only pair two bluetooth devices to an apple tv. For me its my P1s pedals (for both power and cadence), and my heart rate monitor. I just booted up the zwift app, it connected the devices and I was good to go.

Loading workouts was a slightly harder problem but very doable. Zwift has a cloud service now that will sync your workouts to all of your zwift devices. So what I did was download zwift on my windows computer, loaded the workouts on that, and the next time I used the apple tv my workouts were there.

As far as discord, I still use my phone for that.

Hope that helps!

• Thanks, @Zach Bennett! That info is exactly what I was looking for!

• @Janyne Kizer there are several here including myself that have been using the ATV for a while now with all its ups and downs. My overall summary is if you can afford a standalone gaming computer, that is the way I would go. While most of the time zwift runs fine, I have had to do several workarounds and tolerate lots of buggy issues over the last year of use.

I run kicks gen2, wahoo cadence, 4iiii HRM. Like said above you can only have two bluetooth connections to the ATV (the third being the remote). I originally used the 4iiii as a bridge to get the extra sensor into ATV but functionality really sucked and never worked right. I now run my sensors through an iPad mini zwift companion app to get them all working. I have also been dissapointed by the 4iiii battery life as well, but that is separate post altogether. Throughout the year there have been plenty of issues, with workouts not being recognized, not loading properly, ERG mode not working properly, terrain changes not being transferred to the kickr, etc. When these issue arise, i put service tickets into zwift, they are slow to respond and fix problem. Many times I have had to load zwift several times after multiple reboots of the ATV to get things to work.

While these issues are frustrating, when shit works it is pretty nice, graphics are smooth etc. I chalk this up to you get what you pay for. @Steve boer can attest to my frustrations, as he has been in the same boat I believe. Also my discord runs through my iPad mini where the companion app is running. Hope this helps.

• Thanks, @Jeff Horn . Lots of good info there!

• I've had good experiences all around with ATV. I use a Neo and TICKR so I only use 2 Bluetooth connections. I have not had any of the issues that @Jeff Horn and others have had but I'm guessing it is specific to what other hardware you are using vs. being tied to ATV. ATV has limitations but if you know them it's a great, simple, and inexpensive way to Zwift.

• I'm still gathering all the pieced together. I want to have this up and running before the first of the year. I start a new training plan on the 31st and I want to have Zwift ready for that.

• Zwift goes to Strava, correct?
    • Do you also use your Garmin bike computer or just let Zwift do it's thing?
    • Do you let your smart trainer (Kickr Snap) act as the "power meter" or do you use your actual power meter (PowerTap P1s, the single sided ones)
  • Yes Zwift syncs with Strava.

No need to use Garmin computer

I use my Neo as the power meter as I’ve validated its consistency with my P1s which I can then leave on my other bike.

-Sent from my iPhone
  • I got it set up this afternoon. I'm using a Kickr Snap and an NPE CABLE to get the HRM and speed/cadence to the AppleTV. I did the 30 minute Zwift 101 that it suggested. So far so good!

Follow up question: The workout went to Strava and Garmin but not to Final Surge. I thought that if it went to Garmin it would also get to whatever Garmin connects to but apparently not. I grabbed the FIT file and manually uploaded it. Is there a better (automated) way to handle this?

• @Janyne Kizer , I have the same question. I just noticed my Zwift rides are not uploading to Final Surge.

• This morning, I contacted Final Surge to see what they have to say about it.

• I heard back from Final Surge. Here is their response:

Garmin will not send over workouts to 3rd parties like us that was not completed on a Garmin head unit. So, if you sync Zwift to Garmin, it will go into Garmin Connect but then Garmin won't forward that over to our platform. The only way to get Zwift into Final Surge right now is syncing with Strava. Strava will send over everything to us. So, you may want to disconnect your Garmin sync with Final Surge and enable the Strava sync. That will help you get Zwift workouts into our platform.

We hope to have a direct sync with Zwift later this year but that is up to Zwift.

• edited January 17, 2019 11:47PM

I have the highest memory Apple TV.

I use wahoo Kickr. Wahoo heart rate. Controlled by Kickr. But I usually get power from crank - stages or quarq. And cadence from the crank.

though my Kickr power is pretty close.

i use with zwift companion on phone as need the extra Bluetooth connections.

analysis afterwords look at zwift companion. And garmin connections. And zwift power website (have to set up).

the kinks of Apple TV mostly worked out.

i just got the zwift foot pod for running. Can not keep the battery always in because then impossible to set up for biking.

• I recently changed wheels on my trainer bike. The wheel that I put on had a Wahoo speed sensor on it (other wheel had a Garmin speed sensor). After changing the wheel, I could not get cadence to work. When I removed the Wahoo speed sensor, all was well.

It turns out the Bluetooth on the Wahoo speed sensor was snagging a connecting to the AppleTV. Since the Garmin speed sensor only speaks ANT+, it was a non issue.

• edited January 24, 2020 12:50AM

I recently had a problem with Zwift deciding that I should use my Stryd as a power source on the bike. There was not good way to "unlink" the Stryd. I took the Stryd off my shoe and wrapped it in aluminum foil and put it in an Altoids-style box. I confirmed that my phone could not get the battery information from the Stryd and then I turned on the AppleTV and connected to Zwift. This time, Zwift piked up my NPE CABLE (and thus my PowerTap pedals) immediately.

So, if your AppleTV loses it's mind and insists on connecting to your Stryd when you don't want it to -- get out the aluminum foil!

#zwift #stryd #faradaycage #appletv #aluminumfoil

• I have the Apple TV setup for Zwift. It fixed some connection problems I was having in the past. I typically let Zwift collect Kickr data and HR data so I can see it live as I ride. I then stream my Garmin Vector Pedals, HR monitor and cadence sensor to my Garmin watch. When done, the watch data goes to Garmin Connect then TrainingPeaks, Strava and WKO. I don't push the Zwift data anywhere.