Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Dave Legg Official Coach Forum

2»

Comments

• Options

@Dave Legg - hey man, thanks for checking on me! It’s been an interesting ride so far as I’m only six months in. In all fairness, this is a contract negotiation year so relations with the teachers haven’t been exactly Rosie. But I have learned a great deal about just how important they are within the context of our educational ecosystem. Please thank your wife for her service.

Yes, St George can totally work in that timeframe, the real thing to be aware of is the decision you’re making with regards to your training and sanity through the winter. You’ll have plenty of teammates with you, but it’s going to be a tough slog for a while. Very likely that your first outdoor ride could be at the race!

Good news is that the team will be there so you don’t need a lot of family support on the week. We can turn things around afterwards to the second race it’s a function of great recovery in the short term and then prioritizing the bike work to get you back up to speed. It’s not the same type of training build up by any means, but it can be very effective as long as you’re healthy. This means that you need to make good decisions early in the year and not get too carried away with training just for St. George itself.

If you are down, we are down! 👍

• Options

Coach P,

Yes you jumped right into the fire, as a retired teacher I know when it comes to negotiation time we wanted more money and that was that. Tough times but I am sure you brought some calming insight. Thanks for being willing to do a tough job with high pay haha. Anyway wanted to give you an update that I am going to do St George and at this point not sure what after, maybe Calgary.

First CDA this weekend then Marine Corps.

• Options

OK, sounds good. Good luck this weekend with CDA, and let’s connect with your race report complete the plan for Marine Corps. When you get a chance you can submit your races for next year to me so I can plan that out as well.

Thanks for the sense of humor, it’s been an incredible learning experience for sure!

• Options

Coach P,

Posted the race report from CDA and overall happy with my race. Checking in on which Marathon program you want me to do, hopefully I can still ride. Working on the races for next year so when we do I will send it, thanks

• Options

Hey man hope you are proud of it. I would recommend that you use one of our balance marathon training plans as they have cycling Inc.. That said, I am currently working on our new Marathon plans and should have them done in the next 5 to 7 days. If you can’t wait, go ahead and load up the plans we have. If you can, give me a few days it may be balmy here if you don’t see the 2019 Marathon Plans in your final surge drop down by next week!

• Options

Coach P,

Yes Happy with the day, still work to do tho. Thanks for all your help and yes I will wait for the new plan.

• Options

Almost done. 2019 regular plans done...balanced ones by end of the week!!!

~ Coach P

• Options

Coach P,

Thank you for getting the Marathon Balanced plans done with your busy schedule, going to do the Level 2 for my race prep for Marine Corps. Looking foreword to the training.

• Options

@Dave Legg

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes [Watch the video]

Your Races

• 10/27/19 Marine Corps Marathon
    • Other 05/02/2020 Ironman St George

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 09/04/2019
    • The goal is to have you train through Marine Corps as a solid run build up.
    • On 10/28/2019 Load the  -- Post Marathon / Half Marathon Plan (2wks) to end on 11/10/2019
    • On 11/11/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/8/2019
    • On 12/9/2019 Load the  -- OutSeason for Triathletes (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 3/15/2020
    • On 2/10/2020 Load the  -- EN Full Bike Focused  to end on 5/3/2020
    • On 5/4/2020  Load the  -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 5/31/2020

Your Notes

2019 Ironman 70.3 St George and CDA, 2018 Ironman 70.3 CDA and Best in the West, 2017 Ironman CDAIntermediate Balanced Marathon Training Plan

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

PS - Let's update your profile picture when you get the chance…it really helps the Team to "get to know you" a lot better.

You can do that by following this animated GIF (below)…good luck!

• Options

Coach P,

Thank you for the plan moving foreword to St George. Battling a cold for the last ten days so have had to back off a little on the Marathon training but until that point had enjoyed the workouts and had been hitting the times/distance. Hope your training for Kona is on track for another great race. I will work on getting a picture up

Dave

• Options

Of course, no worries. You aren’t alone and fighting illness, fall is a tough time of year as the fatigue from the fall season begins to set in and we have the additional stress that light brings.

Don’t worry so much about the work out intensity in those first few sessions back, the Fitness is there we just don’t want to startle your body.

Looking forward to the picture!

• Options

Coach P,

Was hoping I would get better news today from the ortho but not to be. On Jan. 29 after a great swim workout I slipped on some ice getting out of my truck, left foot went sliding and my right foot stuck resulting in a broken right knee cap. After seeing a doctor at our clinic last Monday and found out the great news I had an appointment today. That knee has some serious tracking issues which has resulted in the wearing down about 2/3 of the bone on the underside of the knee cap which is where the fracture occurred. So I have five weeks hopefully in a knee brace to keep leg straight and then rehab which he says I can hope to start running in four months. I was hoping that it would be faster so I could swim/bike and maybe walk Ironman SG, but doesn't look like its going to happen. Big time disappointed as I wanted to train/race with the team which to this point I was really enjoying. Had over 600 miles on the bike for January which I know is not a lot to some ENer's but it was my biggest so far and was happy with were I was at going into the 12 week plan. I have already signed up for 70>3 Washington of course before the break so that is the carrot out there now. Have not decided if I am still going to SG or not to cheer the team on just so disappointed in not being there to race. If I can not get my race transfer then I will be there, not sure since I did not buy insurance in advance. I will get back to you when I can walk/run so I can get a plan from you on 70.3 Washington. Thanks for reading and all that you do, love the plans and being on EN

• Options

@Dave Legg thanks for the update and TOTAL BUMMER. It's always the freak accidents that do the trick; I hope that you will be able to return to full strength. But the "not training" part is really going to be hard. Super mentally hard. You are going to need to have something else to focus on -- core, work, project, learn a language, etc. Happy to dish on that.

70.3 Washington works for sure...that will give you three months of training. Should be okay...keep me posted on IMSG transfer; Danielle just did it hopefully you can get it to work to a later season event.

The weekend will actually be MORE FUN if you aren't racing; you'll get to cheer, heckle and do all the things that you don't get to do when racing. Plus the Team would love to have you there, but no pressure.

We have an injury time out option that gives you up to two months of EN free while you rehab. If you aren't already on it then shoot us an email and ask Brenda for help with that: ppisaj2s@inbound.intercom-mail.com

~ Coach P

• Options

@Dave Legg how are things going? Just wanted to check in on your progress. We

• Options

Coach P,

Got good news on Friday that the knee cap has stayed in place over the last three weeks so progress is good. Bored as heck but enjoying watching all the big work the IMSG folks are throwing down. I have a question for you realize that your not a doctor (well of pain on Zwift you are) but do you think it is possible to be fit enough to ride the IMSG course on what would be about six weeks of training? I had sent an email into the race director about possible transfer even tho I had not paid for that option but have not heard from them which is ok. I am thinking I could do the swim and bike then shut it down and cheer on the team. First told I would be able to start running again in June so would not even attempt the run and don't think I would want to walk the run or even if that would be smart. Although I have never DNF I really just want to be a part of this team event. Your thoughts and thank you for checking in.

Dave

• Options

@Dave Legg Technically yes, it is possible to the cycling trading him to be ready in six weeks. Especially if we don’t have to train Run at the same time.

That said, I’m not sure we can actually predict how your body is going to handle the training? My biggest concern would be that a sudden ramp up in volume could jeopardize all the rest you have taken so far. I think it’s best if you and I connect on the phone to talk about the logistics and see what’s possible, I don’t wanna waste any time going back-and-forth digitally given our timeline. Text me here and we can connect: 6175133830

~ Coach P