Homeโ€บ General Training Discussions
Options

Training Peaks rTSS Calculation

A big breakthrough for me has been transferring my workouts from Final Surge into Training Peaks. It's really helping me with more disciplined execution of workouts.

One thing I've noticed is that when I input the run workouts the planned rTSS is way lower than what I am actually producing (approximately 50% lower). I did a test run today and executed my workout perfectly, but somehow my rTSS was 111 vs. 57 predicted.

My only thought is maybe my thresholds in Training Peaks aren't correct. I checked them and they match my Heart Rate Threshold on Final Surge.

Any ideas???

Comments

• Options

@Rob Tune Glad to hear you are seeing more improvements with some additional discipline to your workout execution.

There are a so many TSS's these days. TSS, hrTSS, rTSS. TSS = threshold pace based, hrTSS = threshold heart rate based, and rTSS = Normalized Ground Pace based (using threshold pace)

From a math perspective, planned Training Peaks workouts are computed using TSS - which is based on threshold running pace. rTSS is computed with Normalized Graded Pace (i.e. takes the hills into account, and estimates what your pace would have been if you were running on a flat course.)

https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/what-is-normalized-graded-pace/

Although 111 actual vs 57 planned, seem kinda large and outside the margin for error for pace vs NGP - if you ran a flat course for your test.

How did you build the planned workout? Did you use % of threshold pace, or % of threshold hear rate? You mentioned checking your Heart Rate thresholds in Training Peaks and Final Surge. What about Threshold pace?

***As side note, I (and I'm sure others) would be interested in what you did to be "more" disciplined.

• Options

@Peter Greagg that's a great explanation! Thanks for sharing

@matt limbert I built the TP workouts just like they are communicated to me on Final Surge. Right now, most of my Run workouts leverage Threshold HR, with the exception of my SPD days. Those use my SPD Pace. So when I combine what you mention, and the explanation provided by @Peter Greagg , I think the answer lies in the complications of planning a run based on Threshold HR vs. Threshold Pace... made even more difficult when you throw in hills.

Is there a way around this? I feel like any solution would require a bunch of assumptions/restrictions to where I run. Not sure I am up for that, but interested in what you have to say

Thanks again guys! This was really helpful.

• Options

@matt limbert

I had somewhat of an epiphany yesterday when planning my workouts - My lack of attention to the heart rate zones (while I run specifically) could be pushing me into an "overtraining" mode that is potentially damaging to my long term fitness and ability to maintain health. To be clear - I am not ignoring HR zones, I'm just not "disciplined" in staying tight on them. This isn't a problem on the bike because I am staring at a computer the whole time. But on the run, I have a natural urge to push harder and run faster... and that's a problem over a long training program.

[Enter Training Peaks + Garmin Fenix] So, now I think I may finally be seeing how these tools (when they work together) can really help me out. After throwing 2 weeks of planned workouts into TPs, my watch now picks up my workouts. And since I built the workouts in detail, it tells me when my HR is out of zone, and when I need to change my effort (to either recover, or the next activity). I'm sure there are probably 500-600 EN athletes that are saying - "Yup, no duh" but this took a little time to connect the dots.

For all the rookies out there, or even people that are new to TPs or next-level smart watches. This really helped me.

• Options

@ Rob Tune

IMO, using run power solves the wind and hill variability interaction between nwork your body is doing and pace. Heart rate IMO is an outcome not an imput. It is impacted by hydration, fatigue, heat/humidity etc.

Whereas power is power.

• Options

@Peter Greagg , I think you're talking my language... might be Stryd time for this guy

• Options

@Rob Tune If you are up for another gadget, then Styrd + Training Peaks will let you plan a run with run threshold power. That option might bring you the consistency and between planned training stress and executed training stress. Here was a really good discussion on how to use and manage your threshold or critical power - if you decide to go that way: https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/26475/running-with-power-all-things-stryd#latest

RE: Your points on HR run discipline. Your use of planned workouts and alerts on your watch are next level integration and would be a nice reminder. I could use the reminder, especially when running when my mind wanders or a try to convince myself that the effort I am running is "easy." ๐Ÿ˜‚ A beep from my watch can bring me back to the present and make me focus on what I am doing on my run. I don't want to beholden to the watch or a particular number, but definitely see how it could help me develop a more refined sense of perceived exertion.