Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Emily Brinkley Official Coach Thread

2»

Comments

• Options

@Emily Brinkley - the riding is GREAT but this planning is MUY IMPORTANTÉ!

Your fitness is definitely there, that is not going to be your Limiter. Which is great news. It does mean that they'll be some kind of unforeseen challenge that will arise but we can deal with it. Here are some additional thoughts I have for you in no particular order.

1. Being able to charge your device. You should have some kind of external power source or something that you can use during those 10 minutes when you are at the rest stops to charge the computer. Do you want to do this mid ride this weekend just to make sure that it doesn't erase or restart your device or ruin everything. Everything attempts are full of data errors. That said, with a half on the agenda you should be OK but it's nice to know what your options are.
    2. Planning out a little pit area. I would bring a yoga mat if I were you, and make sure that you park the car in a space that will likely have shade later in the day and a space for you to put out the yoga mat on something softer than just boiling hot blacktop. Some light stretching will make a big difference for you and having a written list of key stretches to do will make a difference. The Less thinking you need to do the better.
    3. Speaking of which, do yourself a favor and write down the steps for how you execute each rest stop. Go through it a couple times in your head to make sure you get it pretty good. Even though it might change things, having that list taped to a window or the top of your cooler will make sure that you're doing everything you need to do each time you do stop. There's nothing like hitting a pitstop riding out, and then realizing you didn't take that additional salt pill which You will now not see you for an hour.
    4. Which is a great segue into, do you need salt. Salt pills, Endurolyte packets, pickle juice, I don't care what it is but you're gonna need salt to manage all the fluids you are going to have to consume.
    5. Bring Coke. I don't like it, but it's nice to have an emergency. Ideally twist top do you can put in jersey to carry up as needed.
    6. Tracker...do you have a Wahoo with tracker or RoadID breadcrumbs or something so Jay can see you moving? Maybe you text in every lap.
    7. Your a social person..maybe do FB stories each time you go and that's your reward to "check in" as you stretch?!

Keep it up!

~ Coach P