Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

George Penn Official Coach Thread

2»

Comments

• Options

@George Penn Ok, plan updated for you...hopefully you can find it in Final Surge now and get to work for July!

• Options

@George Penn Great talking with you today. Thanks for firing up a consult call and walking through the situation and I hope the guidance that I provide you will help you find a good path back to running health.

First order of business is to get a comfortable pair of durable running shoes that have a good amount of drama. As I mentioned I think the hookah 116 shoes are pretty good you can ask the team which one is individually better but I think that's the bond I pear is pretty good. You don't need to buy the trail ones but if you want to because you might want to transition to running off road and then, that's also fine they do make a pair like that. We will start using those next week so this week you can at least walk around them to help break them in. As I reminded you, we do have some kind of discount with the running warehouse under the store/team deals link on the members website so go check that out.

The next step is making sure that you are prepare to run every time you do run. To that end, here is a link to a quick video of a routine call seven way hips. To pretty simple movement pattern but it's a great way to get started so that your first few steps of running are way better. You'll still need time to ease into the run of course, but this is a great way to start by making sure that your body is prepared to move dynamically enough to run appropriately.

The third part is taking care of that calf. If it has "gone" on you several times it's definitely kind of twitchy. I mentioned in our call that I use a tool called grassed and. There are several different ones on the market and they all end up being pretty expensive but here's one you can look at that I think should prove helpful. At least research it and put it on your list as an alternative to just basic foam rolling.

Tool: https://amzn.to/32s7dye

Massage Cream: https://amzn.to/2O4Ki95

So for the short term I'd like you to do complementary exercises that allow you to get the allotted aerobic time and at what would've been your run cardio zones. As I mentioned, this could be on the bike or could be on the elliptical or whatever other non-weightbearing modality you can come up with. Maybe even a rowing machine? Just don't go crazy on whatever you choose. 

By mid next week we can start to work in a transition will be split those workouts into half non-weightbearing and half running. Just like a triathlete you would start on the bike for example, do 20 minutes, then transitioned to a short run. All of these runs should be on flat services and the new shoes you broken in at just a steady pace nothing flashy. That should last for about two weeks as you gradually move from a 50-50 split of time to A 4060 7030 8020 9010 100% running. I don't want anyone longer than 4 miles until the middle of August so plan for that accordingly.

Lastly, it certainly worthwhile having your wife videotape you running just so we have that on file. As I mentioned you want to have her stand off to the side of the road so that as you run by she can still capture all of you inside the frame. Start by standing where you will run by so she can size the video and focus correctly…then you job down 50 feet to one side and start running when she records. 

Let’s do this!

• Options

@George Penn - Glad to hear things are going well for you re the Calf, and we can do the return to running for The OCT 13.1. I have made the edits and put it all in your Final Surge account!

• Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Your Races

• Heldeberg to Hudson Half Marathon - 4/18/20
    • Tour of the Battenkil - 5/9/20
    • Tupper Lake Olympic Trials- 6/27/20 -- I would like to make this my "A" race.
    • HITS Olympic Trials (Kingston, NY) - 7/11/20
    • Lake George Olympic Tri- 9/5/20
    • HMRRC Half Marathon - 10/11/20

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

•   Last updated by Coach on November 29, 2019
    • On 11/25/2019 Load the Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/22/2019
    • On 12/23/2019 Load the -- Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/19/2020

**Transition Early**

• On 1/6/2020 Load the OutSeason for Triathletes (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/12/2020
    • On 4/13/2020 Load the Bike Focus Block, 2019 (6wks) to end on 5/24/2020

**Transition Early**

• On 5/11/2020 Load the Short Course, 20wks to end on 6/28/2020
    • On 6/29/2020 Load the Short Course, 20wks to end on 7/11/2020 (last two weeks)
    • On 7/12/2020 Load the Short Course, 20wks to end on 9/6/2020 Repeat last two months, could do a run focus block here but that is TBD)
    • On 9/7/2020 Load the Half Marathon (Balanced) 12 weeks to end on 10/11/2020
    • On 10/12/2020 Load the -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 10/25/2020
    • On 10/26/2020 Load the -- Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/22/2020
    • On 11/23/2020 Load the -- Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/20/2020

Your Notes

This year wasn't a busy year for racing and I hope to make up for it in 2020.:)

In 2019, I did the Heldeberg to Hudson Half Marathon, Tour of the Battenkill, the HMRRC Half Marathon and i tried to run 1000 miles but didn't quite make it.

In 2020, I have currently planned to do the following races:

**Notes: **

I've been focusing on road races and doing a lot of running. I suffered a calf injury in June and recurred a few times throughout the year. I think getting back into tri's and hoping the cross training will help with this issue

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

@George Penn - Thanks for turning in the check in form! Sorry it took so long, I had to reconnect with the folks behind the scenes at Final Surge to be able to edit your account. Not sure what that was about, but we're all set now. I have dialed in a balanced half marathon plan to end mid August and then transition that to Tour of Batenkill for September 12.

Let me know what you think!

~ Patrick

Rankings are as follows:

• Swim Fitness vs Last Month: 1
    • Bike Fitness vs Last Month: 3
    • Run Fitness vs Last Month: 2
    • Body Comp vs Last Month: 2

Next month's focus: Run and bike.

Extra help request: I need to adjust plan to for 1/2 marathon (August) and Tour of Battenkill (September)