Home New Member [First Month]
Options

Joe Gretsch Official Coach Thread [TeamEN]

2»

Comments

• Options

@Joe Gretsch Nice job on your event report "workout." I enjoyed reading it.

Course: Great idea to use the 70.3 Washington course as a course recon. You can most likely get a few more chances check it out again this summer.

Transitions: Who knew that your sock choice was giving you such problem. 😂Socks are an easy fix. I am also a fan of training and racing with socks. A blister is just not worth it and I am more likely to get a blister once my shoes and feet get wet from either sweat or because I poured water all over me while racing. Besides, if you stage your socks you can get them on just as quick. To get them on quicker, put the sock on normally. Then roll it off your foot when you take it off all the way down to your toes. Then keep these either in your bike shoes or run shoes. They are way easier to put on in transition. All you have to do is put your toes in the end of the sock then roll the rest of the sock up your foot. If you practice a couple of times times, you will be just as fast and never have to worry about blister potential.

Nutrition/Hydration: The baseline for fueling is generally - 1 gram / kg of body weight per hour - that is across all sources (fluids and solids). A pack of gel cubes is around 24 grams and a bottle might be 21 grams. Check the math and experiment with the number of grams that is right for you from either solids or fluids. You can practice during any ride 2+ hours or longer.

You will also need to do a sweat test in order to figure out what your fluid losses are. Here is a link to our protocol. Once you know your fluid intake for a say a 70 degree day - then you can modify that plan for a hotter or cooler day. you Don't need to start with 70 degree day - you just need to start with a sweat test and note the temperature during that test. This is another thing to practice with and make notes on. You can note the bottle increase as temperature increase. This will impact your calorie intake if you are using a sports drink for fluids and energy. As you drink more calories, you may need to eat less. Also, more practice and notes to figure out what works specifically for you.

Self-supported rides like this are tough to bring all that fluids. Some other options are pre-staging stuff on your route, getting help from friend of family member, or doing a course with loops and staging from your car.

FYI. You live really close to Jenn Edwards (Maple Valley) and Al Truscott (Gig Harbor). They both are super friendly and long time EN members. Al Truscott is planning a epic bike day of everesting on one of the Rainier park roads. Only he is "only" doing 14,000 ft. He is calling it a Rainier on Rainier, he is also planning a virtual triathlon around August 23-30. Join the discussion in that forum post. If you are interested in meeting up with Al or Jenn, let me know. I'll make some introductions.

• Options
    Matt,

So it looks like I am about 80g of carbs and 2 bottles per hour. I talked with Sid on the last ride and he said he just adds tablets to all his water and eats all the time. I may try that and see how I handle it.

I have not met Jenn but rode with Al and Sid for the first time last week. I will be Rainiering with Al and a group on the 23rd. Should be exciting!

Joe

Sent: Sunday, May 31, 2020 9:59 AM
    To: Joe Gretsch
    Subject: Re: [Endurance Nation Community] Joe Gretsch Official Coach Thread [TeamEN]

[Endurance Nation Community]

Course: Great idea to use the 70.3 Washington course as a course recon. You can most likely get a few more chances check it out again this summer.

Transitions: Who knew that your sock choice was giving you such problem. 😂Socks are an easy fix. I am also a fan of training and racing with socks. A blister is just not worth it and I am more likely to get a blister once my shoes and feet get wet from either sweat or because I poured water all over me while racing. Besides, if you stage your socks you can get them on just as quick. To get them on quicker, put the sock on normally. Then roll it off your foot when you take it off all the way down to your toes. Then keep these either in your bike shoes or run shoes. They are way easier to put on in transition. All you have to do is put your toes in the end of the sock then roll the rest of the sock up your foot. If you practice a couple of times times, you will be just as fast and never have to worry about blister potential.

Nutrition/Hydration: The baseline for fueling is generally - 1 gram / kg of body weight per hour - that is across all sources (fluids and solids). A pack of gel cubes is around 24 grams and a bottle might be 21 grams. Check the math and experiment with the number of grams that is right for you from either solids or fluids. You can practice during any ride 2+ hours or longer.

You will also need to do a sweat test in order to figure out what your fluid losses are. Here is a link to our protocol. Once you know your fluid intake for a say a 70 degree day - then you can modify that plan for a hotter or cooler day. you Don't need to start with 70 degree day - you just need to start with a sweat test and note the temperature during that test. This is another thing to practice with and make notes on. You can note the bottle increase as temperature increase. This will impact your calorie intake if you are using a sports drink for fluids and energy. As you drink more calories, you may need to eat less. Also, more practice and notes to figure out what works specifically for you.

Self-supported rides like this are tough to bring all that fluids. Some other options are pre-staging stuff on your route, getting help from friend of family member, or doing a course with loops and staging from your car.

FYI. You live really close to Jenn Edwards (Maple Valley) and Al Truscott (Gig Harbor). They both are super friendly and long time EN members. Al Truscott is planning a epic bike day of everesting on one of the Rainier park roads. Only he is "only" doing 14,000 ft. He is calling it a Rainier on Rainier, he is also planning a virtual triathlon around August 23-30. Join the discussion in that forum post. If you are interested in meeting up with Al or Jenn, let me know. I'll make some introductions.
  • Options
    Matt,

Looks like this is the last week I have a plan on Final Surge. I would like to do a little more running speed work if possible. Thanks

Joe Gretsch
    206-335-8440

On Jun 8, 2020, at 3:44 PM, Joe Gretsch wrote:

Matt,

So it looks like I am about 80g of carbs and 2 bottles per hour. I talked with Sid on the last ride and he said he just adds tablets to all his water and eats all the time. I may try that and see how I handle it.

I have not met Jenn but rode with Al and Sid for the first time last week. I will be Rainiering with Al and a group on the 23rd. Should be exciting!

Joe

Sent: Sunday, May 31, 2020 9:59 AM
    To: Joe Gretsch
    Subject: Re: [Endurance Nation Community] Joe Gretsch Official Coach Thread [TeamEN]

• Options

@Joe Gretsch

Your latest season roadmap had you starting a bike block next:

• On 6/15/2020 Load the    Bike Focus Block, 2019 (6wks) to end on 7/26/2020
    • On 7/27/2020 Load the    EN Full Bike Focused  to end on 11/22/2020
    • On 11/23/2020 Load the    Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 12/20/2020

We can work in 2x weeks of more running, but then I would like to transition you to the IM prep plan to increase your bike volume a bit, before you start your IM race specific block 27 July.

• On 6/15/2020 Load the    Get Faster Block, 2019 (7wks) to end on 8/2/2020
    • On 8/3/2020 Load the   EN Full Prep plan, 2019 (4wks) to end on 8/29/2020
    • On 8/30/2020 Load the    EN Full Bike Focused  to end on 11/22/2020
    • On 11/23/2020 Load the    Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 12/20/2020

We will have to modify the week leading into Washington 70.3 around Sept 20 to account for the race.

Take a look and let me know what you think!

• Options

@Joe Gretsch Good luck Rainiering next week with Al!

• Options
    Thanks! Should be fun!

Joe Gretsch
    206-335-8440

On Jun 17, 2020, at 6:04 PM, matt limbert wrote:

@Joe Gretsch Good luck Rainiering next week with Al!