Home Coach*EN 🔒
Options

Craig Watson CoachEN Thread

2»

Comments

• Options

@Craig Watson I got you bro...hard to carve out the time in a place where I can do all the recording while on this trip. Just decided to get up at 5am! 🤣

Here are some relevant screenshots for you; all are from race day except bottom left is your last Race Rehearsal at about 8w NP higher than race day (9 BPMs higher, not ideal for race condition, but shows what's possible from a power perspective.

Love how you "worked the work" portion of the plan and cruised the rest. I call that your fastest possible bike on your least possible watts! 👍

On the run, still pleased to see how you build the HR despite living in the suck with your back. And honestly, I feel like 10 min miles (-ish) was a fair number for you. I think that your heat-limited training really hampers your run durability, and so I tempered my expectations on the run.

Here is my overview video for you:

Opportunities

• Better bike power on the flats. How can we get you rolling at 90 rpms vs 95 (and effectively gain a gear for speed)?
    • Updated race photos (please) to see if we have aero options.
    • Core strength for your back to support the bike to run Work.
    • Increased run durability with incorporation of hiking? Time on feet outside of run limiting heat.

Next Steps

Recovery is key right now...I'd like to see you continue with recovery proTocols with an eye towards OS start on 12/2...we can get in 9 weeks (4 work, 1 test, 4 work) before rolling in to the Full Plan...both bike focused....

• On 11/4/2019 Load the  -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 12/1/2019
    • On 12/2/2019 Load the  -- OutSeason for Triathletes (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 3/8/2020
    • On 2/3/2020  Load the  -- EN Full Run Focused to end on 4/26/2020
    • On 4/27/2020 Load the    Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 5/24/2020

Get me those pictures here...deal?

~ Coach P

• Options

Thanks Coach! Yes, can wait until you bet back from Arizona to have full debrief :)

Also, so are you saying I shouldn't meet you our there at IMAZ for a revenge race? Been stalking the Ironman Foundation as an entry - gets it means my heads still in the right place and if you said it was ok I would be booking flights right now (have already scouted airbnb)

New Ventum bike is here and already been through a thorough fitting to help with the shoulders. So now I have two stealthy rides to choose from. As for pics to view aero position feel free to make comments if there is something I can learn.

Here you are sir:

• Options

@Craig Watson Updated Roadmap stuff for you !!!

On 11/4/2019 Load the  -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 12/1/2019

On 12/2/2019 Load the  -- OutSeason for Triathletes (Run Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 3/8/2020

On 2/3/2020  Load the  -- EN Full Run Focused to end on 4/26/2020

On 4/27/2020 Load the  -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 5/10/2020

• Options

@Craig Watson How are you feeling these days? I like the consistency I am seeing!

• Options

Doing... "ok" ... generally looking forward to workouts until about 30 mins before and actually during... I'm following through and happy about finishing though. Just doesn't feel like I am "in it" as far as training going... Doing the Outseason mentally seems like I am far away but I am only 20 weeks away from Texas... I did 9 90+ mile rides heading into Florida and now will only do 3...

Just some of my mental thoughts

• Options

@Craig Watson Totally natural AFAIAC. Hard to sustain the peak and engagement level year round. This is the time of year that I really really depend on Zwift for the banter and keeping me rolling...otherwise I'd find something else to fill my time!

As for the long rides not as much to worry about (we can pivot as needed); we are building off of this past training cycle so we don't _have to_ do as much!

~ Coach P

• Options

We have 5 weeks until you hit the Full plan, so there is time, but still, it's tight (not gonna lie).

I got your text about the DR scan; curious to know where the apparent stress fracture is. Is it a particular metatarsal? Talus? Somewhere else?

Also, do you have permission to do running-like activities such as the elliptical (without the impact)?

Thanks for the info; let's firm up this recovery plan!

~ Coach P

• Options

2nd metatarsal and bone spur near top of 3rd near ankle... Can do elliptical type exercises but don't have access to one... its starting to feel just a little but better as cortisone is starting to settle down.... I'll be back running as soon as I possibly can, I can't let this thing hold me back

• Options

@Craig Watson - It’s probably time for us to reconnect and talk about work on the table for this month. We can use this time to process a little bit more about your news about your foot and we can go from there. Shoot me a few times that work for you later this week via text. 6175133830

• Options

@Craig Watson Ok, good to chat today...

Fitness wise, 3 weeks ago you were at 84 CTL (12/28)...which is where you were 12 weeks to IMFL. You are 13 weeks to IMTX and you've lost 10 CTL and are on a downward trend. Awful? No...but you'll have to be able to work to turn things around.

While I was digging in your data, I think i found why your foot hurts. Looks like 5 weeks of consistent "more than IM run mileage" did you in. I used to do this to myself every year...now I Zwift more and ride big miles and keep the run dialed down to stay healthy until I NEED TO RUN.

Options:

1. RACE Texas. This would mean a really solid next 13 weeks....odds are you'd be faster than IMFL, but the real question would be the cost. Since you mention a 6- to 8-week timeline until you are whole, I say this isn't a realistic option.
    2. Race PART of Texas. I like this option. It would get you focused for the next few months and give you purpose through the storm. Or a reason to be slightly selfish (potentially a healthy thing given the stress). This would be working on the bike, primarily, and the swim as well. Run would be just durability and rebuilding. You'd have permission on race day to swim/bike for a day...and then bring it home for the run to see what's possible.
    3. Turn OFF Texas. This would give you time to focus on life/work and get settled. You'd be taking a few physical steps back, but we'd have months to rebuild. If focus is what you crave, this would win out. The caveat is that the climb back will be tough, especially with only a long term timeline to motivate you.

I recommend option 2. This could be achieved with focusing on 3 bikes per week for now, then a bit more after your 6 weeks (when we can get into some more volume). Swims can be as you are able, but ideally 2x week, runs will still be run walk but no pressure there. So 5 true sessions with runs around that schedule.

Let me know what you think!

~ Patrick

• Options

So, based on our conversation and additional texts... Moving from IMTX to IMFL on Nov 7, 2020 and adding IMFL 70.3 on April 19th, 2020 as a way to have the opportunity to go fast with half the work to get there and also keeping the aerobix engine strong but not digging a deficit too large mentally or physically for a full.

Just need to figure out the actual new season plan when you have an opportunity.

• Options

OK, checking back in now that is a Monday. Looking at the time we have left it’s about 13 weeks from today.

The challenge is going to be building you up from where you are now to where you need to be to train for the race. I see that you have already loaded the 12 week run focused plan into your account, but I’m concerned that the run focus intervals will be too much for your foot at this point in time.

My recommendation is that we use the bike focus plan instead, and create a bridge from this week into the third week of the plan.

So it would look like this:

On 1/20/2020 Load the EN Half Prep Plan, 4wks to end on 2/16/2020

On 2/17/2020 Load the EN*Half Bike Focused to end on 4/19/2020

On 4/20/2020 Load the Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 05/03/2020

The prep plan becomes the bridge and then we do the last 9 weeks to FL70.3.

how does that sound?

~ Coach P

• Options

Sounds good... I'm reloaded up with calendar changes and ready to hit (ok, softly touch) the ground running :)

Watts

• Options

Hey man, just want to check in on you now that you have some time to build consistency in LIFE with all those changes. Drop me an update when you get a second!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Craig Watson looking at your training log has me wondering if you signed up for an ultra run race or something? 🤣 Seriously though, your daily focus will have you ready for when you want to hit the swich and go multisport again.

How can I help you improve this week?

~ Coach P

• Options

Just wanted to check to see if you’ve had time to put the document together?

Watts

• Options

Hey brother, I am on it...lots of time on the phone today. Crazy.

First, just a heads up that I reworked the next three podcasts with a levellator (sp?) so we should be better off. Only 1 out of 3 has the better ending but curious to hear (haha see what I did there) you think. Thank you!

Ok, now for you.... the document is online here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1oYf8JTG0gtKtLahKniTZBsQsm7IAnOJgpcVxIfo8nP4/edit?usp=sharing

Here is a screen grab:

The plan flow is:

• End of the OutSeason®
    • Bike Focus Block
    • Build Plan 1
    • Race Prep to FL

I have loaded the remaining OS weeks into your plan, starting Thursday...and we can follow that through 5/31.

In the meantime, go ahead and put your weight and FTP into that document so we can start plotting!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Craig Watson -- hey, thanks for sending your check and note. Always great to hear from you and I can't agree more – the run work you're putting in is fantastic. As long as the body isn't hurting, we continue! I am not worried one bit about your swim.

Curious if you think that the additional daily walking is helping your run durability/recovery?

There's very little we can do right now, and honestly that free time that would've been dedicated to swim is probably better used somewhere else!

I loaded up the next installment of your training, the bike focus plan to start on June 1. This is when we will start going after some of those high-end light numbers. It might compromise some of your run pricing, but the goal here is to really push the animals high so we can challenge your bike fitness.

Working different energy systems across to hear about the give us an opportunity for growth later on when we transition back to more volume.

Hope it isn't too hot already! 🤣

~ Coach P

• Options

Morning Coach! Set some time to talk tomorrow so we can review as needed.

You know, I'm not sure if the walking has helped the run durability but I'm sure there is some help on recovery as I've noticed if I do it after the ride I'm better suited in the afternoon than I normally feel. I don't feel great Saturday nor Sunday mornings before the longer stuff but after 20 mins I feel good and have been having much better workouts than before. You can see by the attached TSS charts that the daily TSS is much higher than normal given that I'm replacing commute/conference call times with walking during those times most mornings and afternoons for an extra 1-2 hours of easy stuff while multi-tasking that I normally wouldn't have...

I do have some questions tomorrow on the next phase of the plan because as I glance at it I'm pulling way back on volume and not adding that much more intensity.. This is normally that part of the year where we are slowly building volume so just curious...

Thanks for everything and look forward to speaking!

Watts

• Options

here is still plenty of time for us to add volume later in the season as we begin our more "traditional" build up. But all things are on the table for discussion!

Hasta Mañana!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Craig Watson - as always, great to talk with you today. Thank you so much for the time. I really appreciate the contact with which she presented the progress you've seen so far, and as I mentioned on the call I am impressed Dash yet not surprised – At just how hard you've been working.

I have gone ahead and edited the next six-ish weeks to essentially extend the program you're on right now. I've modified what the Interval rides & weekend rides look like as well as the midweek tempo run. The goal here didn't necessarily to push to get faster, but they do the base work the creates the efficiencies that makes us faster. We are taking advantage of this period of time to extend your bread of volume, not the depth. There's still value here, and we just have to keep an eye on how the progress goes.

The markers that we want to keep track of are, in order:

• Your Perceived Readiness pre workout. No Saturday and Sunday are low points for you, should that extend beyond those two days we need to know.
    • Your performance in long workouts. You are indeed becoming more efficient we will see more of a correlation between power output in heart rate. If you are becoming unduly fatigue, we will see more of a separation. This is my job.
    • Your overall mood. If you are feeling good and cruising along...we are good!

If any one of these things "trip" we go from GREEN to YELLOW. Should a second one "trip" we go to RED and adjust!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Craig Watson - Just following up on your monthly feedback for us. Thanks for doing it! 

Here's what you said: 

Rankings are as follows:

• Swim Fitness vs Last Month: 1
    • Bike Fitness vs Last Month: 3
    • Run Fitness vs Last Month: 3
    • Body Comp vs Last Month: 2
    • Next month's focus: Building strength with additional walks too

Hey man, really like where you're at right now. Your consistency is unavailable and I hope you're starting to feel the strength bill from within. Fatigue should be an afterthought at this point even with the increasing heat. But maybe that depends on your Podcasts selection! 🤣

I look forward to seeing what you're capable of doing as you work to build the volume. One quick request. When you get a chance, can you please visit final surge and choose either to sync your Garmin or your Strava? Right now I'm getting workouts uploaded from both which is really crowded your calendar. Here's the link: https://www.finalsurge.com/GarminConnectSync

• Options

@Craig Watson - Thanks for the make up call today...I think we get a lot more done when we actually talk on the phone. Note to self. 🤷

So, status check says:

• You are at HIM fitness...With peak race shape about 6 weeks out (including swim make up time).
    • Run health is maintained, and walking is helping with that.
    • Weekend bikes are getting stronger, not longer, and that's great.
    • Bike progress is moving upwards, with benchmark flags coming from Training Peaks on the regular.
    • Eating clean, just missing the long workouts that cut the weight. Let's hold the new belt notch. 👍

Short Term:

• 6/27 no ride this saturday, "double run" weekend
    • Next weekend is the double ride.

Looking at July / August (Coach has to plan)

• Time to add some intermittent bike volume in the 250 TSS up to 300 TSS range. Easy rides just time in the saddle, likely 1x mo, in the 6h range.
    • Other weekends are "intervals" or intensity in your 60 mile ride.
    • We need to start building up a 2 a day leg program as 1 run, 1 walk....or at least a walk with some running, but just the mid week tempo session. I will outline that.
    • Consider pool access if it works for you...1x a week just to stay loose. More August priority than July TBH.

Is there anything else I am missing here?

~ Patrick

• Options

Next steps coach? Final Surge Calendar for the future is blank

• Options

@Craig Watson - Hey, thanks for the bump...I think I was waiting on you for something but there was really nothing there. 100% my bad. You have been rebuilt...some quality on the bike during the week (a little less time on le feet) and longer / easier on the weekend...time to get some volume (easier there) and give you a monday OFF.

Keeping the pressure up in this heat is legit...and life isn't getting any easier.

Let me know what you think!

~ Patrick