Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Brian Hagan - 2019 Official Coach Thread

edited November 15, 2018 7:28PM in Coaching Forum 🧢
Hey @Coach Patrick - I've basically had a week off now and am starting to look into the future.  I figured I would give you a few key dates and some goals that I have.  Also, as you know, I plan to continue to use Zwift to strengthen my cycling.  As late spring / summer rolls around, I plan to do about 50% of my riding indoors.  (probably Sunday ODZentury 3.0/ABP and a race during the week).  I will also alter this based off your direction.

BRC May 2 to May 6 - Goal is to have fun and ride comfortably in the A group.  Gearing has been updated!

Grand Rapids Half Triathlon - June 10th.  
PR 2016                 Goal - Really more of a fun race, but would like to get closer to 5:00.
Swim 0:38:58
0:36:00
T1
0:02:59
0:02:59
Bike
2:35:03
2:25:03
T2
0:03:25
0:03:25
Run
1:53:52
1:52:00
Total
5:14:17
4:59:27

Ironman Wisconsin - Would like to improve on my 11:25 at Louisville last October.  My swim (1:03) will most likely be slower without a current.  Bike at Louisville was 5:57 (1 puncture) and run was 4:14.  I was 62 (out of 288) in age group on bike and 59th on the run.  So its hard to tell which is the weakest.  Although, I believe there is more time to be gained on the bike and set up for the run.

What do you think?
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
     I think everything you’ve outlined is achievable assuming that your body can absorb the last month of training and Ultraman itself. You will need to be very cautious over the first four weeks, one done, with keeping things very aerobic. You are welcome to Swift all you want. But I would be very cautious outside of maybe one 20 minute effort a week. The process of adaptation is different after every race and so what your body is experiencing right now is completely new.

At the same  you will need to keep the focus on your nutrition. Not restrictive per se, but mindful so that we aren’t creating a bigger hill to climb when the real season starts.

I agree that the bike is where it’s at for you this year. I can see is getting creative with the best but first the recovery.

Headed boost of your training is being able to translate that into some good consistent weekly run mileage. Again, nothing flashy until the four week mark. Can you be patient that long?
  • Options
    Yes, I can be patient.
  • Options
    @Brian Hagan Wednesday AM Espresso Ride says different.... :lol:

• Options
    Ha ha.  I felt your gaze through Discord.  I’ve had 2 rides and felt rough after both.  Very hard to be patient.  Would probably have been ok if I skipped the espresso! I was thinking today of taking TCs lead and walking. 
  • Options
    Yeah, it’s a delicate balance. You literally have no reference point because you’re the only person in your circle has done something that’s crazy!

I know you’re worried about that CTL dropping, but it’s probably the best thing you could possibly do. If you emerge from this one month “sabbatical” with only a low CTL in the putting on 25 pounds you’ll be great. Remember, your fitness is it disappearing your body is just recovering. The stronger it gets after this recovery the quicker you’ll come back

Simply put, intensity is not your friend right now.
  • Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Your Notes

Completed Ultraman 2/18/2018 (Approximately 4 weeks ago) 

Your Races

• 06/10/2018 Grand Rapids Triathlon - Half
    • Ironman Wisconsin 2017 (2018-09-09) #IMWI_18

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page. 

Last updated by Coach on 03/22/2018:

• On 3/19/2018 Load the Intermediate Bike Focus Block, 6 Weeks to end on 04/29/2018
    • On 4/30/2018 Load the -- EN*Half to end on 6/10/2018
    • On 6/11/2018 Load the -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 6/24/2018
    • On 6/25/2018 Load the -- EN*Full to end on 9/9/2018
    • On 9/10/2018 Load the -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 10/7/2018
    • On 10/8/2018 Load the -- Run Durability 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/4/2018

Coach Notes

You essentially have two 12 week blocks between now and GRT and then from GRT to Wisco. Do you always plan this well?!? :smile:  Seriously though, I think what I've put out for you above is best to keep you healthy and engaged over the year, but you tell me what you think!

We start with bike focus block to build that up (and give you time to lock in a nice baseline of 20-24 MPW of running). 2 x swims a week. 

You'll transition out of that into a 6-week Half Plan...for GRT. I think you'll only need 3 weeks here to really "get ready" before the taper and recovery. Then we roll into the traditional FULL plan for Wisco, where I hope we can be Run Focused and working to improve that part of your race game based off of the training you have done!

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options
    You developed a great plan @Coach Patrick

My variation of the Bike Focus Block is to do a race on le Zwift or prescribed wko on Tuesday and Thursday.  On the weekends I plan to do at least the Hang on Ride on Saturday, and at least the Sunday ABP ride.  I will stretch a few of the weekend days as I get closer to BRC.  The run and swim will be exactly as you mentioned.
  • Options
     Sounds good. Remember, if you get to Sunday and you’re tired from the week it’s OK to do something like the night train and just getting steady miles. That’s my secret to avoid overdoing it on the weekends.

When my volume is lower or if I don’t go that hard during the week then I have the bandwidth for Sunday. But it’s always a gametime decision on Saturday afternoon! 
  • Options

@Coach Patrick - Since I have a very short memory, I wanted to document what I think I might of sort of remembered from the call.

1) Race Plan for 2019

a.      Austin Rattler 4/1

b.     Lake Placid 7/28 (A Race) – Will confirm

c.      Traverse City 70.3 8/25 - Yes, close to IM, but will be for fun

2) Plan for now

a.      Focus on run durability and strength until 12/31

b.     1 hard run per week

c.      1 bike per week – either V02 or easy

d.     January – Do a JOS type plan with a modification to replace weekend bikes with long runs

e.     Will do Meb strength routine

3) I will verify once I register for IMLP Next week (unless it sells out)

4) I’d like to do Sunday Jersey Chase as V02 + maybe something on Thursday (I know, that means 2 bikes per week)

• Options

Yessir!!! Lets have you do just Thursday first, Sunday easy. After three weeks add a hard Sunday, then an easy Sunday, then consistently “so hard” Sundays. Otherwise we are good!

• Options

Hi @Coach Patrick ! I have pretty much got my race plan set for 2019 and have made a couple of changes. I also want to note that I will be on vacation in Thailand leaving December 20th and coming home January 2nd. I will try to run most days while there, but I am sure I will miss a few.

1) Austin Rattler 66K - March 31st

2) Grand Rapids Triathlon (Half IM) - June 9th

3) IM Traverse City 70.3 - August 25th

4) IMAZ - November 24th

I've been mainly focusing on my run since the end of September with my last three weeks around 40+ miles. I did have the one week where I bruised my ribs and took a few days off. I have run 64 of the last 68 days. I have sort of been following the RDP plan, but I have not done the 2 X 1 mile in a few week and I have been stretching the long run.

My plan is to start the 50 mile plan on 12/10, but there are a few modifications (including vacation). I'd like to keep riding on Zwift. I'd like to replace some of the running from the 50 mile plan to biking for a lot of the reasons you mentioned in the ultra forum. Also, I'd like to continue to work on the bike, since I feel like that is where I can make the most gains for my races later in the season.

I keep changing my mind in my head what I want to do. I'd like to do race or do a work out in Zwift on Tuesday and Thursday and also do Sunday morning team ride. At some point I will have to drop Sunday morning to do back to back long runs, but I was even thinking that could even be a tool to break up run #2.

I also look at Mayor Queso and see how he was able to bike a lot last winter and still do well on the run. We could even pretend I was training for a 40K time trial on March 30th.

Those are my thoughts. What would you suggest?

• Options

@Brian Hagan Ok...another ambitious year for you...I like it.

Vanilla Thoughts

• 50M plan into Rattler 66k.
    • Recover two weeks (post HIM plan)
    • Load HIM BIKE Focus plan To end on Grand Rapids Triathlon (Half IM) - June 9th
    • Recover 1 week
    • Load HIM RUN Focus Plan to end on Traverse City.
    • Recover 1 week
    • Load Full plan to AZ

Hacking Thoughts

• 50M plan with bike focus (1 x race, 1 x volume....with volume overload weeks (2/11/19 and 3/11/19) targeting 300-400 miles.
    • Recover two weeks (post HIM plan)
    • Load HIM BIKE Focus plan To end on Grand Rapids Triathlon (Half IM) - June 9th
    • Bike Focus Block (4 weeks, mid summer); bike volume load.
    • Load HIM RUN Focus Plan to end on Traverse City
    • Run Overload Block (3-4 weeks)
    • Load Full Bike Plan into AZ.

I am a fan of the consistent running now, and the 1x zwift race and 1x zwift long ride...but we could do more depending on your goals and interests...what say you?

~ Coach P

• Options

Thanks @Coach Patrick . I like the bike volume overload on 2/11 and 3/11.

One way that I was thinking of hacking the 50M plan was to do the longer of the 2 weekend runs on Saturday and the shorter one on Sunday after C&C. The problem is that from Jan 12th to March 10th I have long runs on Sat and Sunday of 3 to 5 hours. I will need to take a pause from weekend riding at that point, correct?

• Options

I might recommend alternating those weekends. I’m not convinced that you need to do all of those long runs just to be successful at that race. It’s a race where durability and consistency count as much is pacing. Very different than IRONMAN which requires a ton of sports specificity. I defer to you, but I think alternating is fine. At the end of the day, I guess the training I get you the most excited to train will be the most important.

• Options

Hi @Coach Patrick! Rattler is now not going to happen for me, so I am a triathlete again. The rest of my races are all paid for and set:

1) Grand Rapids Triathlon (Half IM) - June 9th

2) IM Traverse City 70.3 - August 25th

3) IMAZ - November 24th

As of yesterday, my run CTL was 50, but my bike CTL was 17

I think it’s time to work on the bike, but I also love this run fitness. Also, I may have forgotten how to swim.

What do you think?

• Options

@Brian Hagan

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Coach Notes

Brian, bummer on Rattler..but we move on! I want you on the OS plan, but keeping the running going strong. You are fit enough that the run "maintenance" shouldn't be that much of an issue. I'd like you to target a baseline run mileage and sit on it for these OS weeks...the idea here is to maintain that while we find the room to grow your bike.

I'm not clear on your priorities for these races, but really it doesn't matter so much (right now). What's more important is that you get back on that bike. Don't worry about HIGH numbers, just do work when the plan says work and plan on two decent rides on the weekend...one quality with the Team, the other just steady in the 2 to 2.5 hour range.

As for the swim, we don't have to start right now if we can get you doing some basic core strength stuff for the OS period. So you could load up the Core Strength or Functional strength program to "overlay" the first few weeks of the OS...deal?

Your Races

3) IMAZ - November 24th

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 01/14/2019
    • On 1/14/2019 Load the    OutSeason (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 04/21/2019
    • On 3/25/2019 Load the    EN Half Bike Focused  to end on 6/9/2019
    • On 6/10/2019 Load the    Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 06/23/2019
    • On 6/24/2019 Load the    EN Half Run Focused to end on 08/25/2019
    • On 8/26/2019 Load the    EN Full Run Focused to end on 11/24/2019
    • On 11/25/2019 Load the    Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 02/02/2020

Your Notes

3) IMAZ - November 24th

As of yesterday, my run CTL was 50, but my bike CTL was 17

I think it’s time to work on the bike, but I also love this run fitness. Also, I may have forgotten how to swim.

What do you think?

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

Thanks @Coach Patrick !

I agree that the priority for races does not matter for now.

It will be the 4th or 5th time I've done Grand Rapids. I like it because its cheap, close and I only need one night in a Motel 6 (just kidding, but not much better). A lot of my local friends do this race and to me its a good "practice" race early in the season. Last year my bike fitness had fallen off, and I was disappointed with my performance. This year I'd like to TT the bike somewhere around 2:30. My PR for the bike on that course is 2:35 and last year I had a 2:54. MY PR run for the course was 1:53 and last year I had a 2:05. If I keep my run durability gains, I would expect to go under or close to 1:50. Last year I had a little swim panic as well, but I blame that on being too heavy for my wet-suit. My goal weight will be under 160. I am only a few pounds over that right now.

TC 70.3 will the B race, but I will want to be good shape. Everyone I know locally is doing that race, so there is a little pressure to do very good. I don't even think the bike course is officially posted yet, but there will be hills. That is actually the lumpiest area of Michigan's Lower peninsula. I want to be at 155 lbs at this point. This is the weight I raced IMKY and UMFL. I believe my bike FTP should be close to 4.0 by then.

IMAZ - The goal right now is to be the over all winner for now 😂. I will reassess in September.

I appreciate the plan you played out for me! I loaded OS bike focus in FS yesterday! I am so excited to be back on the bike!

• Options

I appreciate the detail. I think an important perspective to keep in mind is your “levers for success.“ I think body composition is a key part of your success on race day and should be a consistent focus for you across the year. Nothing crazy, but we always want to make sure we keep an ion it so you’re going in the right direction.

I also think there’s a lot of opportunity for you to grow on the bike. I look forward to seeing you really challenge your self in these interval sessions during the week. You should feel pretty darn annihilated at the end of Tuesday and Thursday. I’m not worried about you crushing the weekends at all, your background has more than enough Endurance in it to last you for several years. 😂

The real question is how high can we push that FTP this winter? Looking forward to watching your progress!

• Options

I am so glad you said that, because I am too! Thanks!

• Options

Well its been a long time since I've posted here........

I wanted to clarify my question from the Best Bike Camp seminar last Wednesday.

First - Here is my data from the test

VO2 Max - 54.7

FTP 291 3.8 W/KG (This would normally be 4.0 for me, but I have gained C19 weight)

VlaMax .31

FTP I've been using 283 (90% of Zwift race). I have seen the low 290s before, but I never use it and I will explain why.

I am the opposite of the example you gave. I am always knocking my FTP down. I do this, because if I use the FTP that I get from a test, my TSS numbers are always crazy low compared to other team members when I do CnC, Hang on, or just a Saturday long ride. You can see people posting 130 TSS and up for CnC, and I end up with 100 or 110. I know I should not compare to others, but I cannot help it. I feel like I need to work really hard for a ride at .85 etc....

Maybe.. I need to figure a way to bring my Z2 up rather than bringing my Z4 up.

Thoughts?

• Options

Hey, this is a great question. And sorry it took me so long to get back to you. Looking at the numbers it definitely struck me how much stronger you are than almost all the other participants. Only one other person breaks the 300 Mark. I almost agree with you on the zone two stuff simply because you’re race performance in an Iron Man doesn’t match what we would expect to see from that level of a threshold.

If you are in training please, I will be curious to know what your “timing zone“ chart shows you for wattage on the bike. I am wondering if you spend the majority of your time in Zwift either Racing or in zone three as you chase other groups. Let me know what that says.

also, what are your IM result IFs / NPs? Like from AZ.

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick - I forgot to update TP with the new FTP, so it still shows 279 and not the 291. I am going to update it today.

Todays' 3 hour ride felt really good. I am not running and have been adding a little more to the bike each week.

With the 279 FTP my time in zones for the 3 hour ride was:
    Zone 1 - 0-155 - 29:42
    Zone 2 - 156-211 1:04:55 (my recovery window is 166 to 205 per INSCYD)
    Zone 3 - 212-253 1:00:50
    Zone 4 - 254 - 295 19:44
    Zone 5 - 296-337 2:47
    Zone 6 - 338-2000 0:28

For Zwift Races

Tuesday - 3R Volcano Flat Reverse 3 Laps - 24.3 miles with cool down - 57:44
    Zone 1 - 0-155 - 06:43 (probably cool down) 
    Zone 2 - 156-211 - 11:45 (Mark and I were letting a big group behind us catch up and practicing recovery)
    Zone 3 - 212-253 - 20:45
    Zone 4 - 254 - 295 - 13:02
    Zone 5 - 296-337 - 5:00 
    Zone 6 - 338-2000 - 02:17

Thursday - 12 laps Downtown Dolphin Crit City - 37:02
    Zone 1 - 0-155 - 03:31 (probably cool down) 
    Zone 2 - 156-211 - 04:34 
    Zone 3 - 212-253 - 11:23
    Zone 4 - 254 - 295 - 10:46
    Zone 5 - 296-337 - 03:19 
    Zone 6 - 338-2000 03:59

IF for 2019 IMAZ was .63

IF for 2017 IMKY (PR) was .63 OMG!

• Options

Also, IF for today's 3 hour ride with 279 FTP was .75

I bet for IM id be good to scip recon ride and run and do recon drive and not run.

• Options

Being able to get that three hour ride in at .75 is legit! While it's not the focus right now, I believe those types of rides will be critical for your overall development. Given your predisposition towards Endurance, I would really have you skip some of the longer easier rides. I think a Saturday three hour and a Sunday three hour ride, both challenging, would be very effective for you.

I'm not gonna lie, it's a lot of work to force that fitness out to the right, but you absolutely have the potential for it.

But first, we need to fix this knee. Let me know when you want to talk.

• Options
    I had my doctor appointment today the good news is that I do not have a tear in my minuscules. What I do have is Bone Marrow Edema / no displaced stress fracture in my tibia plateau.If it does not improve, the treatment is Subchondroplasty. I am going to try physical therapy and give it six weeks. I am not going to run, but I can continue to focus on the bike.

I plan to follow the 12 week plan you laid out for me in best bike camp. So that is what I'd like to talk about now. You recommended I focus on Vo2 for next 8 to 12 weeks. Here are my stats:

● FTP is 291W

● VLaMax 0.31

● VO2 is 54.7

● Recovery Peak is 205 W

● FatMax is 199 W

● CarbMax is 2.9 W/kg, 223 W

I still think the FTP is high, but I will take it. My plan as laid out is

Monday - Rest - I will swim

Tuesday V02

Wedensesday X-Train - Vasa - physical Therapy

Thursday - V02

Friday - X-Train - Vasa - Physical Therapy

Saturday - Fat-Max - Will be outside until it gets to cold

Sunday - Lactate shuffling -

My questions - I'd like to mix in racing - most likely crit race on Thursday

For Sunday Lactate shuffling - Can I do Cruise and Crush?

I'd love to retest at the end of the 12 weeks to see what happens. Also will work on body comp and flexibility.

Thanks!

• Options

@Brian Hagan - hey man, that is fantastic news! I was surprised to hear and how sudden the onset seem. This seems like a much better explanation. And certainly a better outcome. Your approach to not running is definitely the way to go right now. Remember that as you return to running will want to work in some walking and or treadmill time/elliptical to build resilience.

Moving forward, we are going to create this type of plan for you. In fact, I believe you are our demo case that we build first so I'm already working on this. Give me a day or two to turn this around and then we can have a deeper discussion about what it means within the context of your recovery process with the leg.

Onwards!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Brian Hagan So good to talk today. I think that given 2020 you actually are in a really good place.

• Legs run rested
    • Bike fitness boosted with room to grow
    • Superfun WTRL racing
    • Open-ish plan for 2021.

I vote that you keep with the following schedule:

• Mon - Day Off or easy meet up ride in AM. Sleep likely better.
    • Tues - AM Run / PM Race
    • Wed - AM Strength / PM Group Run
    • Thu - AM Run / PM Race
    • Fri - AM Strength / TRP Run
    • Sat - HangOn 1 or 2 with brick run. Total bike 2-2.5h, run .5h
    • Sun - CnC Ride

Note that the runs are optional as we start, and should be easy. Call it 15 minutes. We are just building a running habit if you know what I mean.

Finally we need some targets for "entry" to the PS. What say you? Heard 20 mpw on the run (ish), do you have bike targets or a weekly TSS number?

Let me know what you think!

~ Patrick