Home New Member [First Month]

John Bruton 2021 Coach Thread [TeamEN]

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Your Races

Your Top Event / Race for the Season is: Atlanta Publix Maraton [Marathon] (Feb 2021)

Your Second Event / Race for the Season is: Augusta 70.3 [half ironman] (September 2021)

Your Third Event / Race for the Season is: Fall Marathon TBD (26.2) (November)

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

>> Last updated by Coach on 10/12/2020

• On 10/12/2020 Load the  -- Durability for Runners 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on  11/8/2020  27 [  4  weeks  ]
  • On 11/9/2020  Load the    Marathon [Balanced], 16 Weeks  to end on  02/28/2021 111 [  16 weeks  ]
  • On 3/1/2021  Load the    Post Marathon / Half Marathon Plan (2wks)  to end on  3/14/2021  13 [  2  weeks  ]
  • On 3/15/2021  Load the    OutSeason for Triathletes (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on  06/20/2021 97 [  14 weeks  ]
  • On 6/21/2021  Load the    Swim Camp  to end on  07/04/2021 13 [  2  weeks  ]
  • On 7/5/2021  Load the    EN Half Bike Focused, 12wks to end on  09/26/2021 83 [  12 weeks  ]
  • On 9/27/2021  Load the    Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks)  to end on  10/10/2021 13 [  2  weeks  ]

Your Notes

Tell Us Your Background / Racing History: 45years old and running for 8 years & triathlon for 3 years. I run about 30-40 miles a week, completed over 10 marathons, 3 Ironman70.3 and 1 full Ironman

What is Your Focus Level for this Season? Perform My Best at a Big Race

Give Us One Sentence That Defines Your Successful Season: I want to build durability and speed over the next three years to get to Boston

What is Your Biggest Limiter to Success? Not getting injured or burned out

Anything Else We Should Know?  My long term goal is to get to Boston over the next 3 years.

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

Tagged:

Comments

• @john bruton - Great to talk with you today! I think we are in a really good spot, this first month is all about getting to know how you interact with the system and see where the opportunities lie for some easy progress. Tell that out, I record a quick video just going through your plan as it stands now and to give you some insights and thoughts moving forward thanks.

• Here is some history on my events and training plans that have worked for me in the past:

May 2017

Chattanooga 70.3

0:20 Swim Split (shortened course)

2:53 Bike Split

2:02 Run Split

October 2017 (not smart this close to IM Louisville) (PR probably cost me some time on the ironman)

Bufurd Highway 13.1

1:45 Half Marathon (PR)

October 2017

IM Louisville (12hr:10min)

1:07 Swim Split

6:29 Bike Split

4:13 Marathon

November 2017

Savanah Rock ’n Roll

3:55 Marathon (still fatigued from Ironman)

February 2018

Publix Marathon

3:49 Marathon (PR)

Mid-Late 2018

Injured (Stress Fracture in Hip) 

2019 (Very busy year for work)

May 2019

Trained for Panama City Beach 70.3 (Couldn’t go due to work conflict)

-         Training went well

September 2019

Augusta 70.3 (still a lot of distractions in training, but it was good to get back racing)

0:34 Swin Split

3:04 Bike Split

2:11 Run Split (super hot run)

October 2019

4:27 Marine Corp Marathon

I didn’t have the right 70.3 training plan that set me up for a marathon 4 weeks later

March 2020

Trained for Publix Atlanta Marathon with weekly volume getting to 50+ miles per week. Feeling really good but had a skiing injury (Calf Strain) two weeks before race.

May-August 2020

Great Virtual Race across Tennessee – 1000k in four months (averaging 35miles/week)

November 2020

Was scheduled for Fall Marathon but cancelled

Summary:

• Sometimes the combination of Triathlon and Marathon training compliment each other and sometimes it doesn't. This is where I can use your help mapping out the modules.
    • Sometimes (aright... alot) I don't know when to pull back and I get injured because I try to do too much in a season.

Hope this helps mapping out the next marathon block.

• @john bruton Thanks for the background. That is super helpful to see your progress and we can see what was effective for you in the past. We do need to pay attention to your extra-curricular activities as we start to build the mileage - no jumping down flights of stairs or skiing jumping.
    All your training blocks are loaded into Final Surge. Your next block (Balanced Marathon) - starts Nov 9. (All of your training blocks are loaded to math up with your Season Roadmap that Coach Patrick laid out.)
    Let's give that a month and see how you feel. Plan to check in with us that first or second week in December and we can see what we want to adjust - if anything.
    Let's get to work. Talk with you again soon.
  • @john bruton

https://endurancenation.wistia.com/medias/bl9laz9l18

Welcome to your SECOND MONTH  inside Endurance Nation! 

Our goal is to check in with you, determine the best way to help you continue your journey, and share your progress with the Team!

First off,  watch Coach Patrick’s Month Two video

Step One: Quick Update

Please use this form to update us on how things are going: https://forms.gle/k9p2o3ZYyhGo9U2N6 We will follow up with guidance and advice here in this thread. 

Step Two: Book Your Coach Check In Call

As part of TeamEN, you and Coach Patrick will talk one-on-one roughly 4x per year. Let’s connect soon and keep you rolling. Book your check in call with Coach Patrick online here: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min 

Step Three: Pick Your Learning Focus

We have several courses and resources for you based on your interest. You can browse the Courses here or review the Coach Lesson archive here. Don’t forget to check in on the Official EN Athlete Roadmap to see how you are progressing. 

Need help picking a focus area? Ask us right here in this forum thread (be sure to @CoachP!!), via the red chat icon on the Members Site or by going to Help / Email Support.

Step Four: Your Friends are Waiting

We have several TeamChat channels where we want to hear about your training or you can get a quick answer to your latest race or gear question.  Get motivation and team awesomeness via EN Live on Facebook or if you’d rather chat, then find your home on the most relevant Team EN Chat channel

Looking forward to your next step!

~ Brenda

• @john bruton - I got your Check-In update, and have pasted it below. This is part of our monthly process to stay connected, so thanks for filling it out!

If you haven't done so already, I would recommend that you connect with @Vincent Sivirine . He just completed a marathon last week and was really successful not only through his training but also with the body composition. He would be a great resource for you. The best place to find him is through the Geneva chat app where you can send him a private message or ask him an open question in the run squad. Teamwork makes the Dream Work!

~ Coach Patrick

Rate Your Fitnesss (Scale of 1 to 3):

Your Swim: 1

Your Bike: 2

Your Run: 3

Body Composition: 1

Additional Info:

Biggest Improvement So Far? Zwift rides and improving bike sprint fitness.

How Else Can We Help You? The Run Durability has been good and I like the added 2-3 bike rides each week. Im looking forward to the Balanced Marathon program using bike workouts to build endurance in addition to running. My challenge will be not reverting back to my normal marathon ways of 40-50 miles/week with three 20mile runs to be ready. I just need to trust the program and see what happens.

I need to drop 8lbs in the short term and them bring the weight down another 10lbs over time. I need to get back to tracking calories each day.

Would You Recommend Endurance Nation to a Friend? Yes

• @matt limbert

@Coach Patrick

Just wanted to check in and give an update after completing my four weeks of Run Durability:

- How many total runs did you complete?

20 runs complete. Didn’t miss a run and completed each skill, tempo, long run and rolling hills. I went longer on the long runs when running with the Atlanta run club but kept it to my usual 10-13 miles.

- What was the total mileage? - What was the weekly average (total miles / total runs)?

100.7 miles consisting of 5 runs each week ranging from 22miles to 28miles

Tempo (2x1mile) at 8:05 pace

Strides (6x30sec) at 7:15 pace (could probably have gone harder, but wanted to keep it consistent week to week)

- What challenges did you have and how did you address them?

Of course time management with other weekend activities (camping/scuba/travel) and also working on body composition and cutting too many calories affecting workouts. I’m adjusting my calorie deficit to lose 0.5lbs to 1.0lbs per week. I also talk to Vincent and like his approach to clean eating

- What new thing(s) did you learn?

Adding 9 hours of biking added alot of extra (good) stress. Kept legs feeling tired without the extra impact of running.

Riding with the EN team in Zwift is really pushing up my all-time power performance especially in the sprints and climbing categories. I couldn’t get these types of workouts riding in large groups on weekends or solo in zwift.

Summary

The 4 week run durability was a good introduction to the EN group and using Final Surge. I’m looking forward to starting the balanced marathon plan. We have our next call in late November and that should give me a few weeks to see how this new approach (for me) of using the bike workouts in conjunction with the marathon training plan is working for me.

• @john bruton Thanks for the update! This was awesome! I loved your descriptions and reflection on your training. You are right on track. This is exactly what we are looking for. Yes, those group Zwift rides are really great for making you work hard and a lot more fun too. You can get quite a bit of aerobic fitness from those hard bikes while 20-28 miles is a great baseline of run volume. You have a nice rhythm going. I'm stoked to hear that the bike workouts combined with the running is working for you. Your Tempo and stride paces are perfect. Let's knock out 4 more weeks!