Homeโ€บ General Training Discussions
Options

Feedback on 4 weeks between 70.3 and IM. P.S. This just pi$$es me off

Maybe I'm making too much out of this.

Looking for EN feedback I'll pass this by Coach P in my thread. Okay disclaimer/background I don't race much and when I do it's usually an IM every other year. I missed out on IM 2019 and the 70.3 in 2020 was cancelled. My last race was IM Lake Placid 2017. Last 70.3 was in 2005.

I rolled over Calgary 70.3 to 2021 with a scheduled mid July race date, 18th so I thought... My plan for 2021 was for a 14 week JOS, 2 week transition, 4 weeks big bike/tri week/ GFP and 14 week IM build to allow for a) a possible off week for July family vacation (Canada day camping with the in-laws) and b) a second week for recovery from a 70.3 going in to IMC on August 29th.

There were just too many unknows with COVID and travelling to the US so picked a Canadian race. It was IMC or Mont Tremblant which is earlier in August. Wisconsin or an Oct US IM could have fit better but it's what I decided upon given the circumstances.

Knowing the 70.3 could punch a hole in IM training, particularly the long bike missed that week and recovery following I planned for an extra week from IM training to accommodate the 70.3 with a very short taper in to the 70.3. The IM is my A race but I had a sub 6 goal for 70.3 in 2020 which is still on the books.

Additional concerns - Brody, my son who will be 4 years old will most likely get a trip to Calloway park following this race along with a couple days visit to my brother in laws further punching a hole in my training or allowing for recovery depending upon how you see it.

Now the race has moved to August 1st leaving 4 weeks following the 70.3 until IMC and a tougher and perhaps less optimal around for an unseasoned multiple long distance racer.

Options

1) Can the 70.3, IMC only... Penticton here I come.

2) Do both IMC and Calgary 70.3. Suck it up buttercup, get your a$$ out there an do EN proud!

3) Start the IM plan directly following JOS transition 2 weeks, April 26th.

4) other options let me know - I may be able to roll over the 70.3 to 2022 but not sure.

I had planned for a big bike or tri week following transition from the JOS along with some get faster plan if time allowed. For me the key is the BBW as I have some challenges transition to longer distance following the OS so I don't want to lose this if possible to jump start my IM season. I have even planned 3-5 days off work for the early season BBW.

RUBBER MEETS THE ROAD - I've lost significant weight since my last IM attempt, currently down 37lbs from my lightest IM race weight in the last decade and over 70 lbs from my usual top out weight, 260 lbs when not training. I want to race an IM and see what I can do with some decent training volume. I want a sub 12 hour IM but I am focused on the process should this not occur but its a race and the time goal is there in my mind. Should I be faster or slower that's fine but minimizing my IM time through maximizing my focus on training is where my thought process is at. Finally I figure 2021, maybe 2022 is my IM window until I'm 60+, currently 48. Honestly, I want a final shot to race Lake Placid next year in 2022 prior to my son attending grade school, getting more active in sports or whatever other stuff he decides is important to him. Maybe I can make training work after that for IM but I'm not counting on it. So the the clock is ticking and I want to make it count.

Any feedback or comments are welcome.

PS Training has been sporadic at best for me this year with possible covid in my house and competing work demands. I'm just ramping up my run, which is much easier at 188lbs, and getting in my OS cycling prior to the JOS.

Sorry for the long rambling post.

Gordon

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

@Gordon Cherwoniak

I would opt for option 2 without the "suck it up" remark. Your frustration with the uncertainty is completely understandable and most of the team has faced it this year. No reason not to grumble for a bit, but then get it out of your system and get to work.

There is so much time from now to these two races that you can be prepared for the 70.3 effort as a replacement for a long ride four weeks out and have it not affect your training from IM. The couple days off post 70.3 will be necessary (think "walks/swims" off not "couch potato" off). But in the grand scheme of the overall year and your fitness, these three days are not going to blow-up for IM training. You can log plenty of long rides and runs outside of this single weekend that can give you plenty of data for race fueling, distance experience, and confidence. I think at your new body weight you will be blown away at your times. Running will be significantly easier on your joints and it wont be as difficult to recover from. You could probably pace the 70.3 at IM pace or slightly above and wake up the following day feeling ready to go. If you could ride the next day a few hours at IM pace, that would almost be a normal weekend in the IM build 4 weeks out.

• Options

@Gordon Cherwoniak BRAVO ON THE BODY COMP SUCCESS! I know how long - and hard - you've been working on this, your achievement will be a big part of being able to make this coming season memorable for you.

I've done 70.3s before IMs in every interval imaginable: 8, 6, 4, 2, 1 week between races. Once you get inside of 6 weeks, I found it best to treat the HIM as part of my training for the IM, rather than a full blown race. As @Jonathan Benson says, pacing the HIM, especially the run, @ IM pace is a good idea. And treating the whole race as a race rehearsal works well, it;'s just an extra easy 7 miles of running, no?

The two weeks surrounding the HIM are the key. The week before, it's just the same as a RR week, with maybe a day of rest before to account for travel, set-up, etc. It's the week after that is critical. The good news is you;ve got lots of time to plan that out.

But one thing for sure, I'd say don't worry about doing both races, it's completely manageable IMO, not at all like trying to do two IMs a month apart (which is just about the worst interval to pick, BTW.)

I'm hoping/planing on travel being open by Augusgt so I can make it to the Edmonton ITU world championship race end of August.

• Options

Thanks for the comments. I guess I'm just bummed as a wanted to race the 70.3 and the IM but wanted to get the feed back that I already felt "this is not optimal" given the IM priority. I had everything planned for 6 weeks in between then the race moves two weeks closer messing up my best laid plans.

@Jonathan Benson I hear you about logging extra long rides and runs that's specifically why I'll move up my IM start. I just don't like the 4 week as I mention it precludes racing the 70.3 along with additional concerns around taper. If I race rehearsal the 70.3 its a very easy day and even easier if I don't extend or get in the extra riding. Logistically I'll see about the race rehearsal but riding the next day due to family commitment may preclude this option.

The big plus for me will be the open water swimming some thing I tend to not get enough of.

@Al Truscott Thanks for the comments on body comp. The week following the race will be the big challenge with Calloway park and family but as you note I've got time to plan

You've got to figure the border will be open by August 2021 but this consideration is one of the reasons why I choose Calgary and IMC as my races. That and getting hammered by the exchange rate right now does not help.

• Options

@Gordon Cherwoniak - late to the party here. rah rah on the weight loss. Let's make 2021 epic, for you, for Brady! Let's get the weight all the way down to where you want it. I know what a huge obstacle this has been for you and am so stoked to hear that you've conquered a huge chunk of it!

I agree with others above, do both, @Al Truscott is way smarter than I can ever hope to be and would follow his advice.

I vote for #2, but it's about making you proud, the rest of us are always proud that you show up!

• Options

Nice @Gordon Cherwoniak ! It looks like you have gotten a good handle on lots of previous challenges. Congrats!

As you might have noticed, traffic in the forums has decreased a bit and has tended towards longer posts and answering specific questions like yours above. Lots of the team feedback is given on the Geneva platform these days and there is a lot of energy there reinforcing daily progress with workouts, etc. I would urge you to come over to https://app.genevachat.com and check in for the daily EN stream of consciousness.

• Options

@scott dinhofer Thanks for the words of encouragement. My issue is I don't race much and with this shortened window I don't really like just going out easier on the 70.3, but IM is my A race so too bad for me.

I've got to up my game to get the body comp where I'd really like it. I've been complacent given my gains and just holding between 188-192 for some time. I'll put my markers out there now 5 weeks until Christmas and just over 6 until JOS. I'm going for:

Dec 23 - 185lbs

April 12 - 170lbs end of JOS

May 24 - 167lbs - Start of 14 week IM

August 29 - 165lbs

I believe I could get down to a 'Mark Roberts' POW race weight of 155lbs maybe even closer to 152. I competed in to my mid 20's with much greater leg mass at around 160lbs so the above is not beyond the realm of possibility. Finally I find I just eat a lot during IM training so have to do the weight loss up front prior to the long training.

@Ralph Moore Thanks for the nudge on Geneva. My problem I'm in the stone ages and don't own a cell phone. I do have a work cell that i can utilized to set up an account so hopefully this works and I can chat on my android device. I don't really want to much off book stuff on the phone as they can and most likely monitor my phone.

• Options

@Gordon Cherwoniak you can download Genevea to a computer as well, and what do you mean you don't have a cell phone. Who in the world are you?

• Options

@Gordon Cherwoniak I look forward to another JOS with you! Time to build that IM engine

• Options

@Brenda Ross I'm just holding on to the 80's I guess. I did have a work cell that I could use for personal and just pay for it but billing has been centralized and I've been unable to do that for years. That an the cell bill over they year is race entries or a close get away trip for Patti and I. I've been thinking of purchasing one and may pull the pin sooner rather than later.

@Jeff Phillips I love the OS looking forward to another with you as well.