Home General Training Discussions
Options

interval pacing

I am new to this type of training and finally have been able to get some numbers off my trainer in terms of wattage.  I have been trying to really determine my FTP and am now just training primarily with HR since I don't have a powertap.  I just listened to the interval focus lecture where Patrick said to break down the intervals into what you can manage, if i understand it correctly.  For example, my plan had me doing 10min intervals last night and i could only do 4 minutes at a time consistently, so that's what i did.  Is that what others have experienced and did i understand this correctly?  It seemed to be the recommendation rather than just having the latter intervals suck.

Comments?

thanks

mary

Comments

• Options

Hi Mary:

You want to complete the interval.  If you are only able to do 4 minutes of the 10 then you are going too hard.   Drop down another HR zone the next interval session and see how that goes.  Manage in 2, 3, 4 minutes sections within the interval.  Then slowly build/adjust over time.

EN bike intervals take a while to learn.  So don't feel bad.  Over time you will instinctively learn Rate of Perceived Exertion (RPE) doing intervals and you will use HR to help confirm that you are where you should be to complete the intervals.

Hope this helps.

John   

• Options

Hi Mary,

I second what John said. You are definitely going too hard. That's OK, it takes several weeks to dial in these things around here. If you have 2 x 10' to do, you should do the entire 10' at a time. The other thing I would recommend is to work into it. Start out in an effort that has  an edge for the first minute or so, tjem work into it until it feels like real work--not maxed out, but the top of what you could manage if you had to hold that effort through an entire hour. I like to take it up a tad from there for the last 60" or 90" if I have it in me. You'll make mistakes right and left dialing this in, but over time you learn how to mete it out. Hope this helps.

• Options
    I see the validity in what you both are saying, thanks. i was trying to keep my HR in the zone prescribed which may be too high. but then i listed to the interval talk by patrick and it said to break the intervals down to a manageable time. so i assumed keep zone same but make intervals shorter until you can hold them. does this jive with what patrick is saying in the OS interval podcast? that's what is confusing to me.
    thanks for your help.
  • Options

John can you clarify the "manage the intervals in 2, etc" sections within the interval??  Is this what Patrick was referring to about making intervals manageble?  thanks

sign me confused and no PM

• Options
    Posted By mary dorsey on 20 Nov 2009 10:37 PM

John can you clarify the "manage the intervals in 2, etc" sections within the interval??  Is this what Patrick was referring to about making intervals manageble?  thanks

sign me confused and no PM

This is what EN is all about.  Helping each other.  Never be afraid to ask.  What I mean (and assume what P meant, though I haven't listened to it myself) is if you need to break the 10 minutes down into five 2 minute intervals (not stopping) in your mind then do that. Sometimes it is easier to get throughthese in chunks verses one long interval.

I had 2 x 12's today and I broke each down into three 4 minutes intervals.  I know the first 4 will be somewhat easy, then the next 4 I focus on just being consistent on the pedals and then the last 4 I focus on maintaining my watts (in your case, HR) and holding on for dear life. 

Does this help?

• Options

just wanted to add one thing- HR lags about 90 seconds behind the effort so if you're blasting yourself right from the gun to see that HR number early in the interval, you're more than likely cranking away at zone 5 or higher. By the time the HR catches up, your legs are cooked. Really really easy to blow yourself up early in the intervals this way.

when I was training with HR it was not uncommon for it to take 2-3 minutes to get up into zone 4. after a few weeks of blowing myself up much like you I started relying on some secondary info as well- had a speed monitor with a rear cadence/speed sensor. From my testing, I knew what my avg speed and cadence were so for z4 work I would sit right at that and sure enough my HR would follow along.

• Options

yes.  that's absolutely what i understood.

thanks. so even if i have go to down a bit to manage the intervals, i'll do the best i can.

why is it it hink i'm gonna end up with a PM image

• Options
    thanks everyone. your comments have been very helpful! i can see the wattage on my trainer, so i can bring down my HR a bit and note the wattage and get through them.
  • Options
    Posted By mary dorsey on 21 Nov 2009 07:52 AM

why is it it hink i'm gonna end up with a PM 

Do it. You'll never regret it.

• Options
    Aren't we able to order through the EN group for about $1200 for the complete Power Tap?
  • Options

Here's the link to the 2010 PT pricing from the old forums:

http://www.endurancenation.us/en_fo...php?t=9367

It's a bit of an investment, but training with power will pay off in big dividends of fitness!

• Options
    Not sure if Rich is still taking these orders, but dont forget about the Quarq. I dont have experience with PT so i cant offer a comparison, but i can say that after a few weeks with my Quarq Cinqo (and Garmin Edge 705) i'm prettty pleased. Pricier than PT but with someone who already has a set of expensive race wheels this can be the way to go.

http://www.endurancenation.us/en_forums/showthread.php?t=9304&page=4
  • Options

someone here also recommended the quark but i thought only the PTap uploaded to the garmi.  i have a garmin 310XT which i haven't figured out how to use yet.

thanks for the suggestion