Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

Kona Lodging and Transportation

Theresa and I are looking to stay in town so we can easily walk to everything with the baby and thanks to the Chavez's we have a place in mind.

However, my parents are considering coming to Kona as well, but do not want to stay right in town or for the week minimum that many places have.  We have been able to find them condos a few miles south of Kona, close to Keahou and the Sheraton also has rooms available.

How hard is it to get to/from Kona from a 3-6 miles south on race day?  Is there some sort of shuttle available or parking easy enough to find?  Or would they be stuck walking?

Comments

• Options

Matt,

Stayed at the Sheraton for two nights this year as we flew over Friday afternoon and back to this island on Sunday. Volunteered in the medical tent so I didn't have to be in town early but we got in about 0615 for the swim start and stayed in town all day. There is parking to be had if you are willing to do a little walking down from the Walmart shopping center even at that time of day. However it is quite the nice climb back up hill to the car later on. We stayed in town all day based out of the rental car prior to our volunteer shift starting at 1600. So it's definitely doable to stay south of town. Easier to get in and out than staying north of town up in Waikoloa too because the Queen K is the major route between town and Waikoloa and it's sort of in use all dayimage

Hope this helps.

Lynne

• Options

Matt:

I stayed south and it took maybe 15 more minutes.  One of the best pieces of advice I got was to stay south and that way you avoid the chaos.  That was important with kids.

Also, I would recommend using Anthony Travel.  Normally, I don't use travel advisors, but it was great when we moved into a crack den.  We called them at 8:00 am in the morning .  By 8:30 they were in our condo.  By 10:30 we were in the greatest condo ever.  

Also, send me a PM and I can get you the condo.

• Options

I have booked a hotel in Coeur d'Alene for the upcoming race. It is expensive, two double beds, no kitchen, but close to downtown. Does anyone have recommendations for better accommodations with a kitchen?

• Options
    Glenn -

I would reach out to Steve Cramer or Al Olsen for info. Or search the Data Tool race report section for folks who have done CDA in the past!

P