Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

5:06:xx 112 mile RR ride, crash, run...should I just quit!!! (PICS)

Yes for those who ould not beleive me again here are the pics from the after math of the day in the race rehersal.  Only thing this is on my right side now so I get to be sore on the right instead of the left for awhile.  In short I did my IMLP 1st race rehersal today and all went pretty good till about mile 75 on the bike in the pouring down rain thunderstorm that came in on me,  crossing a multiple rail crossing and just was like a complete sheet of ice on the whole black rubber type surface.  I slowed a little as I approached and even thought to myself oh crap that looks like the slick black crap the whole way across, I hope i don't go down.  Nice last words.  Luckily though it was raining so much the road had like and inch of water on it, so I kinda hydroplaned on top of the pavement for most of the way, but still got some nice war wounds.

OK so now for the report... the fun stuff.  I first did a 3800meter pool swim.  I was wondering how the shoulder would do since it was the only 2nd swim in 5 weeks and since the ToC crash and seperated shoulder.  I had no real goals other than go at a pace the shoulder would allow and see where it came out.  I ended up with 1:11:06 for the entire swim, which I'll take, and maybe with a little healing and finally getting back in the pool I can swim that 1:05:xx at LP with a wet suit and some fast dudes to draft off of.

On to the bike...  I decided to play with my IF this rehersal and go a little higher than what I have, and go .72 to .74 for the bike and see how I feel.  Basically I did the first 30 at .72 to .73 and then I pretty much went .74 till the crash at mile 75ish.  After gathering myself and deciding the crash would not end my day of RR I got right back to .74 IF till I got back home at mile 90 to clean the wounds out a little since they were stinging pretty bad.  After that I knew I only had an hour or so left and since I was still really pissed about the crash the more I thought about it, I revved it up to .75 for the final hour.  What pissed me off the most is at the half way point i was at 2:29:47 and on my way to a sub 5 hour IM bike split and then the freaking crash destroys all the hopes.

It was 85 deg. and 83% humidity when I got off the bike and I did do this rehersal completely again with Ironman Perform to see how I would be.  I think I will be fine with this product, as stomach was OK with it and seemed to give me what I needed (Pee'd twice on the bike) but after the crash I went into a time where I forgot to drink and ended up only drinking 4 bottles for the whole ride.(planned on at least 5)  So when I was done and transitioning to run I downed a water completely.  Ride at .72 or .73 was like fall asleep type riding, so I think it will be just fine.  Only thing that woke me up on the bike was going down, then i payed attention.

The run...  Well as i mentioned it was hot and humid, but like an idiot (I think the crash had my mind occupied) I forgot to grab my water.  Well 2 miles in, I was dying from the heat and humidity, luckily at around mile 3 I ran past on of my sub-contractors business and he had an outside spigot.  So I got a drink and drenched my whole body down with the cold water.(total life saver)  Made it in for the 6 miles a little fast.  I really struggled to keep the pace down, even walking for 20 to 30 seconds after each mile to try and keep it at goal pace.

Overall a good rehersal... swim is what it is, bike felt easy, and run always hurts in heat..

Comments

• Options
    OoooWeeee, Trent!! That is gonna be one sore shoulder. Congrats on a solid RR though, especially in the face of crashing. Rest up, heal up!!
  • Options

Dude you will have a perfect race with all you been through.

• Options
    Dear Trent:

Please go easy on the pavement; you keep beating it up and it cannot handle that kind of abuse.

Dan Melamed
  • Options

Trent, for the love of all that is holy!  Will you stay right side up now until Placid?  Glad to hear you're ok, relatively speaking.  Only you would drill it for the last hour then continue on and run.

Aside from the crash, great job! Can't wait to see you rip it up in Placid, in the upright position! 

Dave

• Options

I don't see any white things sticking out, so I guess you must be OK. You should think of banking some skin for grafting in the future.

• Options
    Trent-
    -heal up
    -no problem going 1:05ish wetsuit swim at LP. Mirror Lake is small enough you'll essentially get pulled to a faster time split
    -while you'll probably have no problems handling the higher IF on the bike make sure you're not a 6 mile warrior and mile 20 walker by taking it out too fast. That seemed like maybe a concern?
    -bright side- LP doesn't get that warm. 55 and rain check, 70s rain sun humid and rain again check, 70s and beautiful check. 85 and 85% humidity nope
    -make sure you have a $550 check ready for Monday, you're going to have an awesome raceimage
  • Options
    Ow! That hurts to look at. But no, you shouldn't quit...you are going to kick butt. Others will be saying: "I was tooling along fine when Road Rash Dude just blew my shorts off!"
  • Options
    Doode...be safe!!!!!

Rest up...only a few more weeks to placid
  • Options
    Posted By David Halligan on 12 Jun 2010 04:00 PM

Trent, for the love of all that is holy!  Will you stay right side up now until Placid? 

Dave

I'm seriously thinking if I'm fit enough now, maybe I'll just lock the bike up now until I leave for Placid, then maybe I'll get all healed up before the race.

• Options

OUCH! Total points to you for finishing that race rehearsal.

• Options
    Trent you are just out of control. Very solid ride and run. The swim is what it is, don't worry about it and don't hurt yourself more trying to swim a ton in the next few weeks. You are definitely ready for LP, just try to make it there in one piece.
  • Options

Glad you're OK Trent. I'm thinking it's all part of some strange kind of strategy. Either way, you had a great rehearsal and your fitness is there! I wouldn't worry about the swim. I think your predicion about it is right. You're going to crush the bike and run anyway!

• Options
    Trent,

You are one tough dude. Big props for carrying on despite all the adversity you've faced, not only on the day but the past few weeks.

Ironman will be a piece o cake.
  • Options

Doode.  Can you please stop falling off your bike and crashing into stuff in general?  Other than that it looks pretty solid all around.  

• Options
    I wonder if we can just fit you with some training wheels for your bike? Maybe retractable ones, so when it rains, you push a button and they go down for added safety.

Thanks for the reminder to not crash. Hope you heal quickly.

• Options
    Feel better soon man, and remember, it's merely a flesh wound.
  • Options
    Posted By Jorge on 13 Jun 2010 12:51 AM 

it's merely a flesh wound.

But i chopped your arm off

• Options
    Hoosier Boy,
    Wtf?
    Rubber side down! You're not in Cali anymore.
    (And don't get caught watching the paint dry.)
  • Options
    You might be a candidate for first ever airbags on the bike (pot calling kettle black!). Insane. Your fitness is there...just need to keep you healthy. At least all that red and black and blue on your body matches the kit! image

Patrick
  • Options
    Alright. I can't believe ANOTHER crash. Your RR results do prove that your fitness is there. So between now and IMLP I would say you'd need to go easy on your body to let it heal. After all this impact it seems like you could be in for some odd soreness here and there. Rest up and be good to yourself! Good work on pushing that IF.
  • Options
    One word....TEGADERM
  • Options
    Nice RR drill bit. You have had enough accidents to be in the clear for quite some time into the future now.

vince
  • Options
    That's it! I'm convinced that you are trying to be a chronic Wound Care patient! image
    You own stock in Neosporin, right?!

Hope you're feeling better! Glad to hear the shoulder good for the swim. Wrap yourself in bubble tape until race day...
  • Options
    Hate to laugh about a crash but, man, that is too funny. You are ripped and ready to go! Staying off the bike might be smart but I worry you would break your foot doing flip turns in the pool or something. Heal up and race fast...
  • Options

Hang in there and get healthy. 

• Options
    Trent - So sorry to hear about your second crash - hang in there you will crush it!
  • Options

How aero is bubble wrap???? Its has dimples, right? I think you need about 40 feet of the stuff, time to turn you into the michelin man for a few weeks...

• Options
    wow, can't even believe it! yes, stay off the road! well you are fast and will do great at IMLP. but if you wreck you can see how it slowed you down and made you forget water! I also wrecked but while standing still this past Saturday!! just fell over while clipped waiting on a start! and yes I had thoughts of "I am going to fall!" throbbing knee and blood dripping for my century!... anyways, last year LP I thought was chilly but it did warm up to 70ish on the run.. so not too shabby. so you will be great cuz they have water there!! m