Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

Should I wear my EN singlet during swim?

I'm racing a sprint near my lake cabin on Saturday.  It's not a big deal race or anything, but last year I came in 3rd in my AG in another race nearby, and I'm hoping for a repeat.  In looking at my splits vs. the guys that finished ahead of me, I've got at least a minute to gain in transitions.  Last year I had a hard time getting my EN singlet on after the swim, and I'm sure that cost me some time.  I seem to recall someone suggesting to someone else that they should just wear the singlet on the swim.  I'm not a particularly great swimmer, so I can't imagine it would slow me down much.  Any opinions? 

Oh yeah, and I bought some SWEET running flats that I'm super excited to race in.  Check 'em out:

productdetails.jpg

My wife's question (with apparent disdain) upon seeing them was, "are those tiger stripes?".  My response, "yes, but don't worry, it will all be a blur when I go smokin' by"!  Game on!

Comments

• Options
    yup,

wear the singlet. Every second counts in a sprint
  • Options
    +1, wear it. And I love the tiger blur!
  • Options
    Are you talking under a wetsuit? If yes, then fine wear it. If you are planning on swimming in the singlet with no wetsuit then here's something to think about. The pockets of the singlet may "catch" the water and add "unnecessary drag" (as opposed to the necessary kind). This came up he morning of eagleman as it was announced race morning that wetsuits were prohibited. Most people went w/o singlets. But transition times are not as much of a factor in 70.3. I opted not to wear a singlet and it went on easily in T1 - not sure if it was the amount of sunscreen I was wearing that helped it slide over my wet skin.

p.s. i can not see the pic of the shoes.
  • Options

I would wear it.

• Options
    Posted By Cary Blanco on 25 Jun 2010 06:23 AM

Are you talking under a wetsuit? If yes, then fine wear it. If you are planning on swimming in the singlet with no wetsuit then here's something to think about. The pockets of the singlet may "catch" the water and add "unnecessary drag" (as opposed to the necessary kind). This came up he morning of eagleman as it was announced race morning that wetsuits were prohibited. Most people went w/o singlets. But transition times are not as much of a factor in 70.3. I opted not to wear a singlet and it went on easily in T1 - not sure if it was the amount of sunscreen I was wearing that helped it slide over my wet skin.

p.s. i can not see the pic of the shoes.
    I highlighted the part I thought was interesting, so what did you wear
    My opinon wear the singlet.

• Options
    Yes I wear the singlet in the swims, no problem with it but if you have time practice with it so you get used to the feel of it. it should be tightish anyways so doesn't have that much drag if that is what you are worried about. m
  • Options
    Unless your singlet is really loose on you , I'd suggest wearing it. Sprints are so freakin fast that you don't have time to fuss with anything in T1 and the drag from the mesh pockets on the new EN singlets should be minimal if the fit is tight enough (that said, the older EN Singlets had pockets withoutout mesh and might fill a bit more in the water- I'd still probably wear it though in a sprint).
  • Options

Wear it.  I have worn mine in non wetsuit swims and it is no problem.  Singlets should be tight.  I am 6' 185 and race in a small as it is very stretchy.  Mine also has no rear pockets but I think I have version 1.0 as the newer ones look a little different.  Putting clothes on wet in T1 is a nightmare.

• Options
    OK, I'm wearing it. Will try it out this afternoon. Look for RR tomorrow! Thanks for the advice!