Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

IM CDA Race Report

Let's start with the goals for the day.  Wake up at 4:30 for breakfast, watch the pros start, enjoy the day, 2 hours in the water, 6:50 bike and 11/mile for 6 followed by 10:30 to the line, then hold on tight and get it done. Starting weight 191.

pstone24 adjust goals, get the swim done, see how you feel on the bike and stay in the box. Maybe pepto?"  Unfortunately the pepto was already on it's way down the toilet for the second round of vomiting.  

Race day weight is now 186. (Yay I'm lighter!)  4 Imodium tabs later the max your allowed to take) and last round on the toilet at 5:15 at the race site.  

I laid in the back seat of the car the whole way to the race trying to figure out my new goals.  Swim, just finish, Bike was to drop from 158 watts to 135-140 to be safe, focus on hydrating and fueling since I'm behind, run times are now 13:00 for first 6, then 12+ until the line, At the line, Get it done!

I turned in bags, missed the pro start since I was laying down trying to ignore my insides cramping. Started getting my wetsuit on by the bike bags and outside of the fence was a lady screaming at me flashing the EN gang sign. I was so out of it and nervous that my wife was telling me to look.  I never got her name, but that's the point I KNEW, despite the way things were starting out, that there is something more special about what TEAM EN has over the others.  My wife was competing also and she knew I was struggling to kep it together but she was not about to tell me to sit this one out.  

Gun goes off, swim starts, placed myself perfectly for the swim and only got yanked by some guy from behind once, swam over a couple times but other than that felt okay.  Did not here anyone call out a swim time for the first lap since I was just focusing on Rich saying get the swim done.  Second lap uneventful.  1:46:58.  As I walked to the wetsuit strippers the were waiving me forward so I waived them towards me telling them I was tired, that didn't work, so I continued 5 more feet and let them do their thing.  Walked into the tent and saw a buddy of mine and off we went with some encouraging words.

Bike starts and I could not find a comfortable position since I had a raw backside from the morning events.  Started working on hydration obviously since I was already behind on that and nutrition for the day.  Sipping Infinit every 5 minutes to see what my body could handle.   I typically take 200 calories and about 30 oz of fluid per hour. I was able to handle about 20 oz before I felt my stomach bloating.  Saw Rich at the start of the hills and he asked how I was feeling, I'm sure he didn't know it was me that texted him until I told him fine now that I was done puking.  His reply was "good, stay focused".  So simple yet so easy to lose sight of things when your day isn't what you visualized for the past 45 days.  

At the special needs I jumped into the bathroom to see and what came out was not good, strong odor and dark in color, but at least there was something coming out is what I told myself, I ate a bar, filled bottles with water and more infinit and headed on my way. From there I felt a ton better but still held my new goal just to keep hydrating and trying to fuel for the run.  I ended up dumping my las two bottles of infinit and filling with water, leaving me with one. I used 3 Roctanes for fuel and a salt tablet On the ride I met Wendy, Jay and Aaron fellow ENers that all gave me tons of encouragement.   My wife found me also on her way in on the first loop  which was good and she didn't look as worried as at the start.  Overall new goals met. Hydrating and fueling on it's way  and SURVIVING.  JAY Thanks agian for your help.

BIKE SPLIT 1: 34 mi 34 mi. (2:17:35) 14.83 mph
BIKE SPLIT 2: 90 mi 56 mi. (4:09:48) 13.45 mph
BIKE SPLIT 3: 112 mi 22 mi. (1:28:07) 14.98 mph
TOTAL BIKE: 112 mi 112 mi. (7:55:30)

14.13 mph

Run begins. Saw my buddy walking on the first mile and offered some words of encouragement.  Ran well through 6 following the new plan conservatively trying to take in only 5-7 oz of fluid per aid station since my body was only good with about 20 on the bike.  So, sip of gatorade, sip of water, sip of cola.  That continued until the end of the day.  I grabbed an orange and a couple chips throughout the day just to get some salt in.  

Tons of EN mojo on the run, Jay, Peter, Aaron, Wendy and some running past me so fast I couldn't get their names!  Lots of ENers w/o the jersey giving encouragement all over the course!  It helped me get through a spot in the middle where I was a bit warm and walked that hill to the turnaround.  I had to adjust from my pace goal as well.  I started running by HR trying to stay below the 150 I had originally planned to run at.  I stayed at 140ish.  HR to high+walk.  Saw my wife Lisa on her way in on both loops and she said I looked strong.  I should considering how slow I was going.  I made it to the "line" and I know this is the time to get it done BUT I ran into a couple people walking and started chatting it up and they figured we had plenty of time to spare.  I still felt really good but instead of pushing the rest of the way I felt like I was fortunate to even have made it this far into the night so I shut it down and walked and jogged into the end.  

RUN SPLIT 2: 7.47 mi
6.57 mi (1:30:33)
13:46/mi

RUN SPLIT 3: 14 mi
6.53 mi (1:44:14)
15:57/mi

RUN SPLIT 4: 21.75 mi
7.75 mi (1:34:46)
12:13/mi

RUN SPLIT 5: 26.2 mi
4.45 mi (1:26:25)
19:25/mi

TOTAL RUN
26.2 mi. (6:28:26)
14:49/mile

I came down the road and at the turn onto Sherman I bent down to pick up another neon tube so both my kids had one when i was done and as I tried to straighten up a strange moan escaped and drew a bit of laughter from the spectators.  The run down Sherman was incredible. High fives and cheers, tears welling up and exhilaration.  I stopped before the Ford banner to wave to my family then continued down the finishers chute to become an Ironman.  What a great day!

Thanks EN Nation.  Every forum post every word of encouragement on the forums and out on the course.  The next one will be just as special and hopefully no sickness.  

Didn't weigh again because I didn't care anymore.  I executed my improvised plan pretty well.  I am an Ironman.  I ate a slice of pizza and had a bottle of water and slept.  drank the next day and finally had normal bodily functions on Tuesday afternoon.  Thanks to my Wife for her help also leading up to the day.

Comments

• Options
    Wow! Hope that never happens to me! Any idea on the cause; food poisoning, virus, something else? That took a lot just to start the day; not sure I would have headed out.

Fantastic job adjusting goals and finishing the day. Time to pick another race.

Get better.

• Options

That sounds like a brutal way to start off.  Good for you for staying on track.

• Options
    Paul-

Way to get it done!!! When I saw you on the course you looked a lot stronger than you probably felt. I was definitely pulling for you. As I read your report I had to stop multiple times to wipe the tears from eyes as I have been there so many times before other races. I totally know how you felt.

Well done IRONMAN!!!! You are Texas tough.

Aaron
  • Options
    I have to second what Tom said, hope I never have to deal with that. Good on you for still pushing on that day and finishing. Awesome job.
  • Options
    Paul - sounds to me like the hours before the IM were much worse for you than anything the race itself dished out. Congrats on holding it together so you could get the rewards...running down those final blocks. Despite our pain, I bet everyone would like to relive those last few moments again! You are truly an Ironman. r/Paul
  • Options
    That is an amazing RR! Congratulations on getting it done. Unbelievable guts and execution! Way to go!
  • Options

Wow Paul, way to get it done! Great attitude in dealing with  the unexpected.  Super Ninja Execution, very smart

Like aaron, wiped away the tears while reading.

Running down Sherman  Ave is pretty amazing

Thanks for sharing

• Options

Paul - "Intestinal Fortitude" personified! I hope your next IM has a smoother start.

• Options
    Either food poisoning or nerves. But I've never had nerves hit me that bad! Although looking back, My friends said at the practice swim I looked a bit off before I got into the water. I was watching the kids while everyone else swa and I went out alone. I actually think that helped.

@Paul H. The race was the easy part of the day after months of being on this forum listening to advice and asking questions. Learning from everyone has been a great experience.
  • Options
    Paul, color me impressed that you persevered after your issues. I can only imagine how hard it must have been to not only step up to the line but to get through it. Very impressive indeed.
  • Options
    Paul,

You have quite the mental six-pack to even get in the water after all that your body put you thru prior to the race start. Great effort in revamping your goals and executing them.

Vince
  • Options
    @Mark, thanks for the props. Going slow really helps solve a lot of problems.

@Vince If I hadn't contacted Rich before hand I would have just stuck to the original plan! It was burned into my head by race day.

Also, the motivation and education received from all of you guys and gals that have been through tough times before me is priceless.
  • Options
    @ AL Congrats on your race. AMAZING. Great report as well. Also, thanks for the help over the past months with questions I posted