Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

IMAZ Race Report

First IM so wanted to have an enjoyable day and felt very relaxed after listening to the 4 keys talk and having had such good race rehearsals. Actually slept like a rock and very little nerves. Race morning nutrition was 2 naked juices and had a gatorade prior to swim start. Sister worked body marking so I just hung with her and pumped up over 20 bikes since I brought my tire pump. Helped me stay relaxed and warm.

Swim - I knew how cold this was going to be so didn't want to jump in too early and tread water for more than 10 minutes but did it anyway since I was way up front. I think I was in the worst spot to start, dead center in the middle of the pack. It was actually fun to be in that enviroment and swimming on top and over people. Swim was going good until I lost feeling in my left hand and it sent me into a panic attack. I was at the furthest part of the course so just had to relax and slow down. My swim time was horrible but I didn't let it get me down. I keep telling myself just have fun and enjoy your first IM. 1:30:52

T1 - If it wasn't for a volunteer I don't know how I would have gotten dressed. My hands and feet were so numb I couldn't put on socks or arm wamers. Luckily this guy dressed my like I was a two year old and sent me on my way.

Bike - First 30 min was hell due to the cold and my body didn't like being arrow that soon but pushed through it. Having such a poor swim helped my bike since I just passed people all day long which was a big confidence boost. I rode the course so much I knew what  was in store and actually went a little too easy because I just wanted to be able run the whole marathon. The only issue was peeing on the bike. I did it twice and people were looking at me funny(one guy actually said something to me) so I actually stopped once at a porta potty on the start of the 3rd loop which really helped out. 5:19:01

T2 - Pretty uneventful. Forgot to slip on my 2XU calf guards which I was bummed about but overall pretty smooth

Run - Wanted to break 4 hour run but made it in 4:09:57. Ran the whole time except for aid stations which went from 30 secs to a full minute that last loop. I ran the last mile sub 8 minutes and last 400 meters at a full sprint since someone was trying to pass me so I had some left in the tank. I just felt extremely good at the finish line. 11:11:34 overall 495th place. My goal when I first signed up was sub 12 so I can't complain but I wanted that sub 11.  

Overall the guidance I got from EN was spot on. My family knew exactly where I was going to be all day long and at one point on the bike I was within a minute of when I told my family I would reach loop 2 on the bike. I signed up again for next year, this time to race it. Need to focus on swimming in the offseason and going to try to qualify for Boston Marathon at P.F. Chang's in January so I have some goals to keep me motivated until then. It was nice to meet the team at Thurs. night dinner and see team members out there grinding it on the run. Hope everyone had an enjoyable stay in AZ and luckily I get to enjoy this weather all winter. Turkey trot on Thurday

Regards

Neil

Comments

• Options
    Way to get it done, Neil. 11:11 is crazy good for your first race. Bummed I didn't see you out on the course. I don't know how you could have stood 1:30 in that water - you were a human popsicle. On using the porta-pottie, you are more of a gentleman than I am. I must have pee'd 6 or 7 times on the bike (and twice on the run) - didn't even phase me that I was peeing while running. It was very liberating image

The family and I loved your hometown. I took the kids to the Science Museum on Friday and it rocked.
  • Options

nice work out there, sounds like a great day.  Enjoy your time off, you'll nail a sub 11 next time!

• Options
    Congrats, Neil! Know what???? YOU are an Ironman! What a day too. I can't fathom that cold water. If you were that cold I probably would have literally frozen solid. My hands go numb in the freezer section in the grocery. Ugh! I can't imagine. Great work on just dealing with that discomfort and handling the day. Sounds like you really raced according to plan and that it paid off in the end. Great job! Enjoy the post-IM after glow, and eat really, really well on Thursday! You more than earned it.
  • Options

11  hours is crazy good is right! Excellent, top-notch day. Congratulations, Neil! Way to plan the work and work the plan!

• Options

That's one great first IM! You built up alot of good IM karma pumping all those tires before the race.

Enjoy your recovery!

• Options

AWESOME job on your first Ironman!!  What an incredible day you had.  AZ is on my list for 20XX.  Thanks for sharing!

• Options

Great Job on you first IM.  I did not hear and have to ask, how cold was the water?

Gordon

• Options

Neil, that's one helluva first IM.  And, you're gonna race it next year!?!  Lookout!  Great job.

Dave

• Options
    First IM? That's AWESOME!! Can't wait to hear about you racing it. Great job.
  • Options

Great Race Neil!

I competed in the November version of IMAZ last year.  The water was so cold that with 3 minutes to go over half the field was still on the wall at Tempe Town Lake.  I remember glancing back just before the start and there were several hundred racers slowly jumping in.

It looks like your race execution was solid.  Be sure to capture the little details somewhere so you can look use this as your benchmark event.

• Options

Super job Neil! Congrats on your 1st IM!! Very impressive results.

Thanks, Chris

• Options

Neil -

Great job, especially impressive bike/run combo. you run time for first IM, given you're a big guy is one you should be proud of.

Here's a goal for you next year: run under 4 hours, and sprint past me at the finish line.

• Options
    Posted By Gordon Cherwoniak on 24 Nov 2009 05:34 PM

Great Job on you first IM.  I did not hear and have to ask, how cold was the water?

Gordon

Water was 61 that AM; it had been high 60s a week earlier! I ran (on my third lap) with a women (on her first lap) who said she spent HOURS in the med tent after the swim from hypothermia. Volunteers at the swim noted many who finished slower than 1:20 who came out shivering and blue. OTOH, I started next to a young (22?) lady in just a Speedo (NO WETSUIT) who insisted she was not cold. I think she just didn't know any better.

• Options
    Way to go! Sub 12 on first attempt. Just goes to show you how important execution is.
  • Options

Very impressive Neil.   Great first IM,  you must be pumped.    Anxious to see what another year of training will do for your 2nd IM.

• Options

Holy Cow!  That's one hellofa race!  Way to take care of business and it was great meeting you.