Home General Training Discussions
Options

Tri Bike Position on trainer

I'm in the Nov OS Group, and nailing the workouts.

My plan was/is to set up my tri bike on the trainer and leave it there. I went thru a TTBikefit several weeks after IMWI and my position is much more aero, but I haven't ridden it outside but a couple of times. It felt fine. Outside rides, when done, are on the road bike with no power.

Now that I'm parked inside doing hard intervals, I'm sitting up so I can see the TV, and , frankly, its easier to breathe. For whatever reason, its always been easier to stay aero outside vs on the trainer.

Should I be concerned with positional strength, or just continue to try and increase FTP in the "up" positon ? I thought I had read from a Rich post that he didn't worry with tri bike positional fitness until just before the season starts ????

Comments

• Options

Not really that big of a deal.  I have my road bike on the trainer currently.  Coach P posted recently that he uses his road bike on the trainer as he can't see the TV as well.  When I have my tri bike on the trainer I sit up much more than I ever would when riding outside.  Plenty of time to get used to race position once the snow melts in the spring.

• Options

I remember last year there was a time in the training plan where R's directions specified being locked in aero. My plan is to not worry much about aero until then.

• Options
    "Work is speed " entering the body I believe is the quote so I say whatever gets you on the deathwheel in the cave in Nov. then hit it. I've been on the road bike in the cave and having killer workouts. In the drops I still get work on the hammies and glutes so bring on the pain.
    P.g.
  • Options

What everyone else all said. Just ride and push the watts. Plenty of time later to worry about position, not a priority now.

• Options
    Thanks to all....that's what I thought. All about the numbers at this point !
  • Options
    I've also been told that when you are outside you get a bit of wind lift to make it easier to hold aero position as opposed to when you are indoors on the trainer. Not sure if the way I wrote that makes sense but think of it as you push against the air, it holds you up a bit.
    I always find being in aero bars not as comfy on trainer but my Ergomo is on the TT bike and Im still using the road for the outdoor rides, although those could be over this weekend.
  • Options

I have a question along these lines too...My bike fit isn't currently what I would like.  I am fiddling with the seat a little on my own but once I'm losing weight and want a concise fit once I'm down 40 lbs. Until then I had the guy eyeball the fit.  My guess is that there won't be a significant difference once the bike is tweaked, hopefully in January or early February?  What are your thoughts?

• Options
    Posted By Sheryl Woodworth on 02 Dec 2009 08:05 AM

I have a question along these lines too...My bike fit isn't currently what I would like.  I am fiddling with the seat a little on my own but once I'm losing weight and want a concise fit once I'm down 40 lbs. Until then I had the guy eyeball the fit.  My guess is that there won't be a significant difference once the bike is tweaked, hopefully in January or early February?  What are your thoughts?

Many members have great experiences with Todd Kenyon of TTBikeFit.com. Tell him you are an EN member. Might be a good tool to set body comp, flexiblity, and core strength goals for yourself, and schedule an online consult with Todd for the end date of those goals. IOW, by Date X, I will have achieve X, Y, Z, and will start working with Todd to address my fit.

• Options

Just a thought about aero vs upright position on TT bike fitted to a trainer. The combination of the TT geometry and a good fit should mean that the TT bike will feel MORE comfortable when ridden in the aero position. That's my experience anyway. Sitting upright between intervals makes sense to me, but why make things harder by staying up for the intervals themselves. Also, how can any of you concentrate on the TV when you're blinded by sweat, breathing so hard you can't hear anything, rocking side to side, and generally on the edge at 80-100% or more of FTP? If I'm able to pay attention to the TV, it means I'm warming up, cooling down, and/or going along at somewhere less than .7 IF.

• Options
    Al,
    The fit was recently redone with Todd Kenyon, so its good. For whatever reason, upright is easier to make watts INSIDE on tt bike, more difficult outside. I've decided to lock myself inside for this OS, so that's where I am. FWIW, I have an industiral barn fan sitting 7 feet from my face, so sweat in the eyes is not a problem and truth is, when I'm on the FTP intervals, the TV is just noise and I'm pretty locked in on the PM numbers.
    Thanks and congratulations on your AG win at IMAZ...nice job.
    B
  • Options

William:

I have a different perspective and I'll share it but at the same time place it in context. Your road bike set up and accompanying body fit on the road bike is much different from your TT position on your tri bike. That means you'll recruit muscle groups and muscle units differently on each bike. The difference is fairly subtle but they remain different. Early season would seem to not be a big deal but as you come closer to your race, you'll want to be on the tri bike as much as possible.

My A race is in May so I'm on my tri bike on the trainer now to mimic things as close as possible. I believe keeping things as specific as possible provides better dividends later. I too ride like Al above. For the hard intervals I'm tucked low riding hard not able to pay much attention to the TV and I'm focusing mentally to keep things churning smoothly but on the recovery portions, I'll sit up and take it easy and perhaps soak in some of what is on the TV.

Also, training in aero position follows the same principle as above.   You want to be able to go the distance in areo position so get your body and mind use to it on the trainer during short periods of time in comparison to 3 to 6 hours for 1/2 or full IM distance races.