Home Announcements 🎙
Options

Need Some Guidance - Coach P / Coach Rich

Good morning

I was hoping you guys could provide some guidance on my race status for next year.  With three kids (4 if you count the dog)  it is becoming a bit tough to manage work, life and training. 

I have decided to take off next year from racing and focus four things - 1) the family, 2) Nutrition / getting lean, 3) stretching / core and 4) becoming a better runner.

I would like to stay in shape because I am planning on racing IMLP in 2012.  I would like to keep active enough to jump into the OS plan at the end of 2011.

Should I use a modified OS plan (i.e., same volume, lighter intensity) through the end of this year and all of 2011 until my IM OS starts?

Comments

• Options

Joe:

I'm not Coach P or Coach Rich, but I might be able to offer some advice.  If it were me, I'd do the following:

1.  Take the current OS plan I was intending to use (Beg., Int, Adv) and focusify it on the run.  How you do that will depend on your current abilities.  Because I'm not a great runner, for me, I'd first focus on frequency, with less emphasis on intensity or volume to improve my leg strength and stamina, and to help avoid injury later.  As the plan progresses, I'd start focusing more on intensity, and later on volume, with a fun "race" at the half-marathon (or marathon) distance as my ultimate goal.

2.  Cut out all cycling except the weekend "long rides".  Cycling can be a huge time suck for me.  Even on the trainer at home, I have to set up and take down, etc. etc.  If you're not trying to build cycling fitness, what you want to do is maintain as much of your current cycling fitness as you can.  The "long ride" is the key workout.  You get some great intervals in the OS weekend rides, which can help you maintain cycling fitness.  If you can hit 60-90 minutes once a week with those intervals and some ABP time, I think you can minimize cycling fitness loss over the season (of course, this depends on your current fitness level... If you're a Cat 1 cyclist, you're going to lose more fitness than if you're a Cat 5 level).

3.  Don't swim at all.  My swimming volume has decreased every year since 2004 when I did my first IM, and at LP this year, I was exactly 3 minutes slower than in 2004.  Swimming is gravy.  If you have time and want to do it once in a while, go for it.  However, I think from a performance standpoint you'd gain more by throwing in an extra cycling session if you have the time.

Anywhoo... that's what I'd do.  Best of luck!

• Options

What Steve said. 1-2 rides per week, as absolutely crushing yourself with no regard to volume, should be enough to limit the damage

• Options

Hey Joe,

I am in the middle of an unstructured off-year from racing and training. The advice so far is spot on. I just wanted to share what I've done. Same focus as you excpet instead of the run I chose the bike. I ran just enough to keep my legs and durability and rode my bike like crazy. Being unemployed, I would sometimes ride 4-5 days a week just crushing myself. I also found some really strong local roadies who I now ride with all the time. It's fun and I've gotten stronger. Nice mental break. When I do need some guidance for my training I will look to any of the EN programs I've used. Really just been going by feel though.

Maybe you could find a local running club or group track workout., preferably with stronger folks!

Matt

• Options
    Joe, remember the goal is FREQUENCY with the running, not intensity. Don't let that get the better of you. Make it a very light build (no 10% increase of mileage per week games) and you'll be healthy, happy and speedy!