Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

My EN baseline? Augusta 70.3 race report

Hey All,  Not sure if I'm posting this in the right area, just joined last Friday.  Thought I'd post this, to come back to it in a year or two and see how much changed with the help of EN.

This was my last 'self coached' race.  What a relief.  I'll leave the buildup out, to keep it short.  But know that I had overtrained.  Volume.  In July, I did a solo (with a ton of support from family/friends in SAG) endurance event to raise $ for The V Foundation.  Non stop brick (4hrs bike/2hrs run/repeat) from Lake Lanier to Savannah, GA.  300 miles in 24:20.  That's just background cuz I didn't do a good job of recovery and then rebounding to get ready for Augusta.  Actually, prep for Augusta was a freakin' grind, even considered bailing 10 days ago.  Proceeded for two reasons, I had several friends doing their first halfIM, and I'm trying to crack that 5hr mark.

Augusta:  Overcast and rainy, great for running the engine hot.  

s:  31:20  

t1:  2:58  

b:  2:31  

t2:  1:29  

r:   1:55

total 5:02

On minimal swim training, about 4k per week. mostly drills.  let my wave started, hopped in and had one of the easiest swims (effort level) ever.  Almost the exact same time as last year and RPE much less.  Only twice did I have to sprint to get thru 2 swimmers pinching me in.  

Efficient T1, I don't carry alot of gear.  couldn't have been much fast trans.  long run from ramp to bike.  bib belt on, helmet on, and gone.

Bike:  Rolling hills. with rain.  tried to hold back based on what I've learned just from mooching the free EN stuff.  Computer didn't ever work, so I was clocking the mile markers.  RPE lower than last year.  Easier, smaller gears up some of the climbs, watching cohorts pull away slightly on the climbs, only to pull them right back in as I crested and hammered over.  Just like y'all preach.  Thought I had backed off enough to save some for the run.  Was shocked to see that my bike spit was actually faster than last year.  Used CarboPro/Gatorade with some gels.  About 300cal/hr.

T2:  in &out pretty quickly, shoes on, grab hat and fuel belt and put those on while running.

Run: Quads tight on the first 2 miles.  proud that I kept running thru this.  tendonitis in right calf flares up on mile 3, proud that I kept running thru this.  At 3 miles, I was afraid that this run was going to be a step backwards, blaming the summer volume.  But, I've learned to keep moving through it and give it time, might get better.  This is exactly what happened.  Each 4 mile spit got faster.  Knew the 5hr mark was gonna be SOOO close, but when I hit the 12 mile marker, I knew I would need to run about a 6:30 mile to get in right at 5.  I was lucky to hold just a little over 8 min.  

Though, I came up 2 min short of goal, still proud of this effort, still a PR.  Initially, I thought I'd come back next year, with EN, and crush that goal.  Not now. I'm sticking to my plans for next year and maybe I'll return to Augusta in 2012 with 2 yrs of EN under my belt.

funny thing,  out of habit, I spent all evening in my head figuring out what I would tweak to get faster for next time....and then I would correct myself and drop it....I don't have to do the mental gymnastics anymore...I trust this place....

couple of weeks of chillin and casual riding with the buds til November, then jumping in my first OS....ready to work!

Thx,

Chris

Comments

• Options

Welcome aboard.  I am sure that you can crush that time.  I bet you run 20 minutes faster next time that you are there.

• Options

I'll hold you to that. what's the wager?

• Options

I will buy you a beer regardless!

If you can swim 31 minutes and ride 2:30 there is no reason you can't run 1:3X assuming that you pace correctly and do the work.  No idea what any of your metrics are but here is my guess.  A year from now or so you will still swim about the same time, ride a bit faster although that ride will actually be easier for you and be racing when you are out there on the run.  Not unrealistic to make the kind of gains I mentioned above if you do the runs in the outseason and plans and execute properly on race day.

• Options
    Congrats Chris. I raced Augusta as well and likewise PR'd. Listen to Chris G....jump in offseason plan and you'll ( along with some jealous training partners) see lots faster splits...
  • Options

Cool.

As per the swim, keep in mind that it was downstream.  And, if I ever run a 1:3anything, I'll do my next local sprint in a speedo and don an Yankees cap with it for the run portion.

and provide pics for evidence.

Don't get me wrong, I sure as hell will work for that kind of results.  That would be the kind of breakthrough that I'm looking for.  

• Options

Thx William.

Congrats on your PR, too.  If your in the Atlanta area, gimme a shout sometime.

Chris

• Options

work works...its not going to be all roses and podium girls along the way, it will be hard, it is really going to suck sometimes, but attainable.  Welcome aboard.

• Options
    where did we put those roses and podium girls again? image
  • Options
    Posted By Patrick McCrann on 28 Sep 2010 07:39 AM

where did we put those roses and podium girls again?

The venerable Al Truscott wrote that to me once when I was whining about a less than ideal race.  Something to the effect of "no one ever said it would be all roses, sunshine and podium girls".  I think the "suck it up princess" was implied