Home General Training Discussions
Options

Heart Rate Zone Help Needed

I am new to heart rate training andI have some questions. I know for running we are using V-Dot, but for cycling I don’t have a power meter yet so I am using HR Zones.

What are the correct % of max hear rate zones that we should have in our Garmin? I noticed what’s programmed in my Garmin and what EN uses is different. Why? Just want to make sure when I change the zones in my Garmin they are correct

EN Zones

Zone 1: 65%-74%

Zone 2: 74%-82%

Zone 3: 82%-89%

Zone 4: 89%-94%

Zone 5: 94%-100%

Garmin

Zone 1: 50%-60%

Zone 2: 60%-70%

Zone 3: 70%-80%

Zone 4: 80%-90%

Zone 5: 90%-100%

Comments

• Options
    Actually, the more I google this.

I keep finding more % of Max HR Zones that are different. I thought the only thing that would vary is the max HR, I didn’t know zone percentages can be different.
  • Options
    EN zones are definitely different. they are targeted toward the training zones that we use where you have your primary zones as zone 3 (the work zone or 80-85% of FTP if using power) and your zone 4 which is around your FTP zone. EN tries to narrow the zones down some for you so you can be more precise. coach P once said of the zones that other people/companies are sometime using: "you could drive a truck through that range!"
  • Options

Most zone advice out there is crap.  Most formulas are based off of max HR, which is not easily tested, and the formulas are not good predictors for any one individual.  The percentage range is ridiculous.  I've seen some prescribed Zones which call for 50-60% of LTHR as a Z1.  For me, with a LTHR (bike) of 165 or so, that would mean that I'm supposed to do my Z1 training in the 90 bpm range????

Problem is that most systems don't subtract out the resting HR and calculate zones based on the working range.  Even the ones that do are still flawed, but the ones that don't are just ridiculous.

The EN HR guidance is the best I've seen, with realistic HR ranges coming out of the data tool.  It's not based on max HR, rather on your HR at a functional test (5k for the run, FTP for the bike).  You'll see Z5 as 5k HR or greater.  I can get my HR higher than in a 5k test, though it's not comfortable!  Same with the bike.  That's why the EN zones just make so much more sense.  They correlate to an actual amount of work you can do at a given HR, and therefore push you when you need pushing.

Use the zones here, and enjoy not having to think about it anymore!

Mike