Home Racing Forum 🏎
Options

IMAZ RR#1 Plan

Race Rehearsal Plan

IMAZ 2010 – 1st RR – 10/7/2010 - 10/9/2010

Thursday 10/7/2010

Long run – Planning 90 minutes due to still recovering from race 10/2/2010 – EP + 30” 1st 6 miles then MP

Friday 10/8/2010

1:15 OWS in Saguaro Lake - No wetsuit as will likely be ~ 90+ degrees outside

Saturday 10/9/2010

Morning Fuel:
  • ½ Naked protein smoothie at 3:00 AM
  • Bagel with cream cheese, other ½ of Naked protein smoothie and coffee at 6:00 AM
Bike Setup:
  • Profile Aero Drink bottle
  • Bottle on down tube
  • 2 bottles in Sonic X-wing
  • Bento Box – Thermolyte salt tabs
  • X-Lab tool bag – 2 CO2, adapter, tube, tire levers, Vittoria Pit Stop
  • In Jersey: Phone, ID, Money
  • Wear Garmin on wrist ready for run – will turn on at mile 100

Clothing:
  • Bike Jersey
  • Tri Shorts
  • RoadID
  • Aero helmet
  • Sunglasses
  • Sunscreen
  • Tri shoes
  • Run shoes
  • Run socks
  • Hat
  • Fuel belt with 20 ounces Powerbar Perform and 20 ounces water
Start Time:
  • 7:00 AM
Bike Fuel/Hydration:
  • Profile Aero Drink bottle filled with (2) 24 ounce bottles, 6 scoops Infinit each (3 hours per bottle)
  • 300 calories, 650mg sodium, 70 grams carbs per hour
  • (3) 24 ounce water bottles – will refill all 3 bottles mid-ride
  • Planning 24 ounces of water and 8 ounces of Infinit concentrate per hour
  • 2 Thermolyte tabs at the bottom of every hour
  • Planning ~ 1 gram sodium per hour

Bike Course:

• IMAZ course – 3 loops modified slightly with longer stretch on Beeline Highway to eliminate admin miles in town – will start and stop in Tempe Beach Park
Bike Plan:
  • Current FTP – 245 (3.6 w/kg)
  • Goal IF – 73%
  • Goal TSS – 280
  • Race Gears
o    1st – 170

o    2nd – 179

o    3rd – 188

o    4th – 197

Transition:
  • Put bike away
  • Put on socks and run shoes
  • Reapply sunscreen
  • Less than 5 minutes

Run Course:

• One modified loop of the IMAZ run course – no more than 60 minutes ~ 6.5 miles

Run Plan:
  • Current vDOT – 49
  • 6 miles at EP + 30” – 9:10
  • Walk 15-20” at each mile to drink – goal 16 ounces Perform and 16 ounces water

Please critique and comment.

Comments

• Options
    Terry - you've got this sucker planned to the second! Are you using race wheels and race helmet? Let us know what the water temperature is at Saguaro lake...I'll be curious. Also, when you post your RR report, we expect some feedback on the refill of Tempe Town Lake. Even though it's not starting until Friday morning, I would be curious if after a day there is a thin film over much of the bottom.
  • Options

Looks great, but don't forget to plan for contingencies... i.e., maybe have some fall back nutrition if you need something else/different (particularly something that might be offered on the course - banana, gels, whatever).

Might want to have sunscreen and chapstick with you - and reapply during your fuel stop (I wish I had for my first RR... I've got my AV race number burned into both arms).

• Options
    Look good Terry.

I would add a sweat test as in weigh yourself before and after the RR to see how your hydration plan worked.
  • Options

Notes:

1. Consider going with 250cal/hr unless you've proven 300/hr in training before.
    2. May not need to wake up at 3a but, not a big deal of you decide to do that.
    3. What temps are you expecting? It's sure to be hotter than race day so might want to adjust watts/effort downward to reflect and have a contingency for needing to stop more for water.
  • Options

Terry:

What Rich said.  

Also, is there a reason why you are going out at .73 IF vs. the usual .7 for IM pacing?  TSS looks good, is that how you are basing the IF?  Just curious.

Looking forward to seeing you crush it in-person in a few weeks.

John

• Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. Just so everyone knows, I designed this RR to bring out any possible mistakes. It will be my first ride over 100 miles. It will be my first IM RR. I want to make any and all mistakes this weekend to refine my plan for my next one.

@Paul - No race wheels but race helmet yes

@Becky - No fall back nutrition, need to know if this is going to work. First time with concentrated Infinit.

@Kitima - Pretty dialed in on sweat rates in hot races and I'm pretty sure about my hydration

@Rich and John - I've been training with as much as 375 cal/hr without problems. I raced with 300 cal/hr last weekend and nailed it. I have not been able to find a good reason not to stick with higher calories, especially since I'm all Infinit on the bike, if I can tolerate it. As for temps it's definitely going to be hotter this weekend compared to race weekend (I hope). But I'm planning on consuming 6 hours worth of fluid despite the fact that my ride will likely be about 5:40 so I should be OK. If there is a problem I can stop at the Circle K on the Beeline. As for watts, it seems like most people are counseled to go a little harder than planned on the first RR and tailoring the second based on the first. Truthfully I'm not sure I can even maintain 0.70 for the whole distance but we'll see.

Thanks again for the input.
  • Options
    go get it done Terry. I am looking forward to reading about your results. I'll post mine tomorrow.
  • Options
    I'm also doing the race simulation this weekend and this summary really helps. Thanks for sharing.

Quick question - can someone point me in the direction of determining my wattage by race gear? I know I've seen this before and I tried race gear search on wiki, but I cannot find anything!

Thanks for the help
  • Options

Adam:

It is in the Wiki here under Bike Pacing:  http://endurancenation.us.dnnmax.co...+(Ironman)  Full preso.

But to save you time, I have the "Gear" spreadsheet based on FTP here:  

Hope this helps.

John

• Options
    Thank you John! Just so I know I did this correctly, I used 70% and my FTP (274 right now)...came up with 4 gears of work. I now need to find those gears on my bike that deliver those wattage, right? And I'm assuming when the gears go up, that means easier gears or bigger back rings, right?

Sorry, newbie questions - just want to make sure I get it right!
  • Options

Adam:  power "Gears" don't correlate to physical bike gears.  It has to do with how many watts you should be holding on different terrain along the bike course.  IM AZ is so flat you will be in 2nd Gear for 90% of the bike.  2nd Gear are your goal watts when you get off the bike.  If you switch over to "AVG WATTS" in the yellow CPU that is where you will see it.  But when on the bike be on real-time watts. 

(caveat: it really is norm power you you want at 192 but you can't see that on the yellow CPU.  Only in WKO.  But since IM AZ is flat AVG WATTS should be pretty close to norm power.)

Download this preso, listen to the audio and follow along with the PDF preso and it should answer a ton of your questions.  RandP have done a good job with it and it is a must to listen to: https://www.box.net/shared/2e1hi7n7c5  (https://www.box.net/shared/2e1hi7n7c5)

FYI - It was hard for me to find also.  The above preso is at:  Wiki Table Of Contents / Race Execution / IM How To / Bike Pacing / Half and Full Ironman Bike Execution

Terry, sorry to hijack your thread.