Home Announcements 🎙
Options

Who Has Spell Check Working and How Did You Do It?

Hi,

How many of you have spell check working when posting on the EN forum? For DH and me, it works on Facebook and all other web sites, but not on the EN 4.0 forum.

Please let me know if you have the red squiggle spell check underline here in 4.0, and how you get it working (OS, Browser, and Google Toolbar, or other add-ins with spell check capability.)

To start off the conversation, we are using:

Browser: Firefox 3.5.5 or IE 8.0.6001.18702

Firefox about:config layout.spellcheckDefault = 2

(layout.spellcheckDefault = 1 doesn't work either)

Google Toolbar 6.1.20091119W

Thanks! I am really tired of re-clicking and re-editing my posts a million times so I don't look like a complete illiterate. image

--Linda

Comments

• Options
    Linda, it works for me automagically in the "Quick Reply" box, but not in the "Add Reply" Box. Anyone else? When using "Add Reply", I just have to re-read what I typed...which I have to do all the time already....
  • Options

Know what? The red squiggly line works in the PM messages and replies. So if it works there, something is off in the regular forum. Ask your guru, and I'll ask Keith. image I bet it can be fixed. I'll post back if K has anything to specific he might know.

• Options

give it a try now? You should see red squiggles and be able to right click correct.

• Options

Crap. Nope. Still only have spellcheck in the PM, but not here.

Says Keith, "since our spellcheck works on other web sites, and in the PMs, it's a problem in the scripting of these main forum pages." Whatever that means.

Do Apple people have spell check working here in in the main forum?

Are other PC users having problems?

If it works for anybody out there, please tell me what you have:

Operating system and version

Browser and version

Browser toolbar/add-in that provides spell check and version (i.e. Google toolbar 6.1.....)

ajhakhd oputopaj = no red lines under.

LP

• Options

Mine is working......Maybe do a F5 refresh?   

• Options

F5 = no change.

• Options

Not working here either

• Options
    The Mac OS X "Built in" check spelling as you type works in "Quick Reply", but it breaks in the "Advanced" reply. Right or control clicking on a red--dashed-underlined word gives a "Cut, Copy, Paste" menu.
  • Options

I know we are REALLY close to getting it right, i promise. I had the same behavior you guys did. Your browser will hang onto the files pretty tight. If you can delete the cache and try again maybe? In windows if you do a ctrl +f5 it will do a refresh from scratch. In a mac it probably involves some sort of chant and dance  and an apple key ...but I am pretty sure if we can get it to pick up the last site files it will work.

• Options
    I use Firefox.

Try this

Tools/Add-ons/Extensions/ down in the lower left there is an option to Find updates. After I updated my sp chker life was gooder.
  • Options
    Should be close. In the reply box, right click and choose "Check Spelling". Admin added this script yesterday....

P
  • Options

Super. Way better than having to re-read, then re-edit, and edit again because one types too fast to get the pearls out.   I think this was a pain fo you. Thanks for dealing.