Home Group Discussion-OutSeason November 2010
Options

Time (Volume) for bike workouts - Warm-up Count?

Noticed tomorrow is 3x8 (2') @ 100% and the balance @ Z3 (85%).  How do we determine the balance of 60'.

Said differently, does the 22' warmup count towards the 60'?  If not, that would seem really tough (another 30' at Z3)...

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    I have a 15 minute warm up (both running and biking) and always include it in the total time allocated.

In previous years a warm up was included in the scheduled workout. However, I suspect that since each of us has our own often unique warm up routine, and the fact that we are self coached athletes, that warm time was not included in the 2010/2011 OS schedule.
  • Options
    I would take a different approach to this as Rich always says you should not have volume goals in the OS.

I know that I can normally do 1 hour on the bike before work. Therefore I always plan to do a 10' WU, the MS as writen, and the remainder at 85%. In the example you provided I would do 20' @ 85% at the end, however we are all different and have different WU and life requirements.

Some days, I have more time or less and thats the best part about the OS. The MS is what is important. If you only have 50', do the WU/MS and call it good. If you have 75', do the WU/MS/30' @ 85%.

Early in the OS, I tend to do more time at 85%, and as we got to the 2 x 20' and 3 x 12' stuff, I end up doing very little time at 85%.
  • Options

Jeff,

I include my 5-10 minutes of warm up in the total time, then 3X8 (24+6 rest intervals) leaves 20'.  I'll do 15 minutes more at 80-85 or if I am tired this could be come 2X7' with 2'.  I also usually do a 5 minutes warm down if just a bike or spin up a little easier if it's a brick session.

As the weeks go by note that the 60' is a guide.  When you are hitting the longer FTP sessions and the 80-85% stuff you sometimes go a few minutes over the perscribed time. 

Gordon

• Options
    Jeff,

A lot depends on you; how well/fast/slowly do you come up to full operating pressure? The older I get the more time I need to warm up; I don't rush this.

FWIW, I count all time running/biking/swimming into the workout, even though R&P's math skills are a bit suspect at times. The mainset is the meat; get 'er dun!
  • Options
    First off - thanks for the comments.

A further point of clarification since most are talking about 10' w/up.

My plan is calling for a warmup of 10' easy, 3x3' (1') @ 85% (Z3) -- so this alone is 22'. Am I missing something?

Thanks again!

• Options
    You're right on the math being bad. Either cut the easy time or adjust the warmup intervals if you want to cut it down a bit.

Warm up is just that. If you need 22 min, then do it. On a trainer, I can usually feel warmed up in ~15 with 7-8 min easy, then 3 x ~1' (1') @ 100%, followed by 2-3 min of easy again before the main set. So my "warm up set" is a little shorter and harder than what' proscribed, but I'm comfortable with it.

• Options
    Thanks for helping Jeff out, folks!
  • Options

That's an interesting approach, I may give that a whirl & see how it sits.

I usually count W/U & C/D towards the total time, but I typically take the 'remaining time' & split into two.

Ie, 10min warmup, 15min z3, MS, 15min Z3, 10min cooldown.

• Options
    Seems like we have this discussion every year. It's like an old friend coming to town for their once a year visit. Last year I did NOT count the 10' w/u in the time, so I was typically biking 70'. This year I'm definitely including the w/u in the 1 hour. Here's what my warmups look like:

Bike - 5 minutes to wake up, then 3x30"@FT (30" rest), then 1'@~85%
    Run - jog easy for 1 mile (8:30-9:00), walk until the watch hits 10:00, then do 3-4 x strides (30" hard, 45" walk/recover). This gets me right to 15' at which point I commence the MS

• Options
    It takes me about 10 minutes to ride down to the bike trail and 15 minutes to get back (a small grade). It is on trafficked roads which means that I am sitting up on the base bar and riding Z1/Z2. Once I get to the bike trail, I can get aero and go harder. I don't really count the ride down or back as part of the workout but my interpretation of the OS is that it is really the main set that matters most. For me, that means riding another few minutes on the bike trail until I feel ready to do some work. Since I am riding outside and it's been really nice the last few times out, I feel no pressure to cut the workout too short although I try to keep the harder work part to around an hour.

.... but then again this is my first OS and it is only week 2...
  • Options

Count the warm up in the 60 mins? Surely that's cheating?! Warm Up. Main Set. Cool Down. Coaches prescribe the Main (work) Set. That was my reading. So my bike sessions have been 70+mins in total. So no slacking people!

• Options

X2 on warm-up. 

Signed grouchy old man.