Home General Training Discussions
Options

The "Why We Don't Dig You Scheduling Marathons in a Triathlon Season" Thread

PnI are big on this one. When I get back from my run I'll find some stuff we've written, videoed, etc, and post it here. This will be come a wiki post.

In the meantime, in the course of getting all of the new people set up with plans yesterday, I saw lots of marathons on the schedule, I gave you our quick thoughts in my emails to you, but I would like to use this thread to consolidate all of the marathon in a tri-schedule questions and discussions.

More later

Comments

• Options
    I recently wrote a blog post on "Why A Marathon in the OutSeason Isn't the Answer." What other resources are out there?
  • Options

As Keith Wick is usually quick to point out, there's always the fear of Coach Rich doing this:

• Options
    Posted By Patrick McCrann on 07 Dec 2009 08:40 PM

I recently wrote a blog post on "Why A Marathon in the OutSeason Isn't the Answer." What other resources are out there?

There's also this thread from teh 3.0 forum where members chipped in with their advice on this question:

http://www.endurancenation.us/en_fo...php?t=4676

• Options

It's a good thing I can run faster than Coach Rich!

Seriously though, I would not considered racing a marathon during a year with an IM as my A race.  There is just too much recovery required during training, taper, and after to stay on track with IM training.

Last year I very badly wanted to do boston as I had just qualified for the first time, but I did not as I was focused on IMWI.  In hindsight, I am very glad that I made that decision and recomend it to others.

This year is a little different as I do not have goals like last year and I am going to enjoy being an edurance athlete.  I am running boston this year, however I will not be racing it, will not be following a Marathon plan, and am fully aware that it will likely impact some of my other training and potentially my performance in my IM, which I am ok with.

Next year will likely be another focused year for me again and if so I will not do a marathon that season.

• Options
    I see the logic in this, of course I'm one of those that has a marathon scheduled in late March, my A race is in Nov and my first half is in May. But i am also not training for the entire marathon, planning on walking a lot. It's truly a less desirable way to do a marathon but I do this one only bec/ of the scenic beauty and the ease running on dirt.
    THere will be some "friction on the back end" as Patrick or RIch said but I've never trained very hard for this one and go for the enjoyment. My longest run will be probably 18 miles at most. So, that said, one day i'll really plan to do it right and make it a PR. FOr now, it's just a long ish run.
    mary
  • Options
    Because of what RnP revealed in that video in September, I pulled the plug on my annual tradition of running the California Marathon last weekend and focused on getting stronger on the bike (instead of building and tapering for the marathon). Rather than do the race, ended up going down to Vegas (same weekend as the Vegas marathon) for a little "recovery" after 5 weeks of solid biking and running "the EN way" and I feel fantastic. Glad I'm not recovering for the next couple weeks like a few of my buddies that did the race and who are also gearing up for Boston - think I'll be crushing them in our June half iron and IM Canada? better believe it baby....