Home General Training Discussions
Options

Road or tri bike for IMLP

I just started racing triathlons this year, and have done a handful of sprints, an olympic, and a 70.3 on my Felt F4 road bike with clip on bars.  My A race for next year is Lake Placid.  Based on all the climbing, it seems like I'd be at the least disadvantage on a road bike compared to flatter courses.  I think the IM distance is likely to be a one-time thing due to the time commitment involved.  After 2010, I'm likely to return to sprints through 70.3.

I just saw a Felt B2R in my size on craigslist for a steal.  ($3K for a bike with 50 miles on it, while new is $4600.)  Can someone here talk me into buying it?  I can't justify it based on saving 4 minutes in the race next year, but if you can convince me that I'll get years of peace, love and happiness by getting a tri bike, I may buy myself an early Christmas present.

And no poaching on the deal!  The seller has another buyer lined up, but if he doesn't pay by 6 pm, he'll sell it to me.

Comments

• Options

I think you've got the right reasons for buying it so go ahead. It may or may not save you those 4 minutes, but you will enjoy riding it for many years to come.

• Options

Keith,

I did all my tris, 2003 - mid 2009 on road bikes, without and with aero bars.

I did IMLP in 2008 with my mid level road bike (2005 or 6 cannondale R1000) with clip on aero bars.  I wasn't racing, it was my first IM.

I also did Mooseman, a hilly 70.3  this year on the same set up with very good results for me.  I think my time was around 2:30 and was able to run well enough to go sub 5.

In July, I found a new Cervelo 2007 P2 for 1900 w/ Ultegra kit.  I like to do TTs and was going back to LP in 2010, so I figured I could use a TT bike.  The price was right and I had been shopping for a bit.

I don't think I would have bought the P2 if I wasn't planning on racing it for a few at least a few years in TTs, 70.3's, Olys, and IMLP 2010.

I guess what I'm saying based on my experience is if you think you'd only use it for LP, might not be worth the dough.  However, you could use it for all the other race distances you mentioned as well. 

Bottom line, don't do it because it's a good deal.  There will always be good deals.   Easier said than done, I know. 

Good luck.

Dave

• Options

These kinds of discussions move me to think of the lost potential growth of dollars spent today. You say that the IM is a one time event and that you are comfortable on your road bike.

If we take a wild guess and estimate that you would pick up some time on the bike portion, and some additional time on the run portion and pull a number out of the air of 30 minutes gained overall, that means that with a $3k expenditure you would spend $100 for every minute gained.

Take that $3k and invest it in a Roth IRA, leave it alone for 30 years, calculate a modest growth rate of 6% and at that end of that period you will have over $17k.

(But of course if you do not aready own one, you should most definitely purchase a power meter and blast away at building the engine.)

I trust others will present a variety of positions both for and against your potential purchase that are more performance/triathlon based.

Cheers!

• Options
    I see it as all about the bike fit and position...

If your road bike fits pretty well (and your position is aero) with the clip ons you may not get much improvement at all out of switching to a tri bike. However, it's not the tri bike that will make you faster it is an improved position. It may or may not be possible to get a good aero position on your current road bike.

How comfortable and aero are you now?

Also, are you 100% confident the bike for sale is the right size?
  • Options
    Whatever you do, don't make the decision based on the course. Every single north american IM is tri bike friendly. image

P
  • Options
    Posted By Patrick McCrann on 04 Dec 2009 08:07 PM

Whatever you do, don't make the decision based on the course. Every single north american IM is tri bike friendly.

P

Is that applause I hear in the background???

• Options

More importantly, if your married will it put you in the doghouse and do you have a nice doghouse?  Like most in EN land, I am  a tri junky but if it's your 1st IM and your getting your feet wet I would add clip ons and let it rip.

P.g.

• Options

Are you interested in going as fast as you can at any distance triathlon? And do you envision triathlon being a multi-year adventure for you? If the answer to both questions is yes, then you need a full sleeve wetsuit and a time trial specific bike with steep seat tube angle geometry and a good bike fit.

You've already demonstrated a willingness to invest significant time and dollars in your triathlon career by being part of EN and by considering an IM race. Why wouldn't you want to make equal investments in the key equipment you'll use during that career?

You can, of course, get a very good TT bike for half the price that Felt costs; the extra $1500 may not be worth it if $ are tight. But to me, the first, key question is, "Am I a racer or a particpant?" If it's the former, then you get a racer's kit. Minutes matter; last year, I got a Kona slot by 8 seconds!

• Options
    In response to the post that all IMs are OK with a road bike, I do know that. My point was that at Lake Placid I'm probably at less of a disadvantage than at IMFL or IMAZ.

I wasn't able to get the bike I originally asked about, but I do have a lead on a new B2R for $3K. And the local tri shop claims to have 2009 P2 and P3s in stock in a 58. I know size is key and I'm right on the borderline of being on a 56 or a 58, so that will likely be the kicker.

I am in this for the long haul (though perhaps not at the IM distance, but I know many have said before that an IM is a one-time thing, only to get addicted).
  • Options
    Posted By Keith Buell on 10 Dec 2009 01:14 PM

In response to the post that all IMs are OK with a road bike, I do know that. My point was that at Lake Placid I'm probably at less of a disadvantage than at IMFL or IMAZ.

I wasn't able to get the bike I originally asked about, but I do have a lead on a new B2R for $3K. And the local tri shop claims to have 2009 P2 and P3s in stock in a 58. I know size is key and I'm right on the borderline of being on a 56 or a 58, so that will likely be the kicker.

I am in this for the long haul (though perhaps not at the IM distance, but I know many have said before that an IM is a one-time thing, only to get addicted).

IM is always a one time thing when you have never done one before, those I know who finish one seems to start planning the next one right away.  Even if they take a couple years off they come back to it or at least want to.  As to your initial question if you are not considerably faster on a tri bike there is something wrong.  At the same watts I am consistently a mph plus slower on my road bike.  If you plan to race tri's you might as well buy a tri bike.

• Options

What Chris said. I am faster on my tri bike with lower watts too.

• Options
    I did it. 2009 Felt B2R. Fits like a glove. $2999 brand new. Too bad it's so damn cold this week.
  • Options

Its cold out, but your bike is hot. And you'll fly on race day. Congrats...now some pics!

P

• Options

Congrats!  I love my Felt B2, Fiona.