Home General Training Discussions
Options

OS Swim Protocol

I know we are encouraged to hang up our swim gear for the out season, but, I have a strong urge to get in the water once a week just to do some drills...it also gives me a chance to enjoy the steam room and hot tub at my gym without extra showers!

Anyway, I have tried to do the OS Swim drills (workout #1) and I am running into a little bit a a volume issue.  Either I am reading the prescribed workouts incorrectly, or, there is simply a misprint.  For instance, here is the 'ms':

8x[2x50(15') of each of the position progressions (there are 6 of them)]...I am reading this as; 2x50 of 'touch and go', then 2x50 of '3 quarters/the archer, etc....and all of that times 8.  That is a massive amount of distance and that doesn't include the propulsion progression.  Am I missing something?  When I total up the workout, it is something like 4500m+ in drills and swim golf...

Thanks

Comments

• Options

Tee hee hee.  I love this question 'cause it comes up at the beginning of almost every "season" and I didn't know the answer when I first joined either!

the position progression is a set of drills in the swim ebook. you basically follow the progression of drills, doing each twice, 50 yds each set. the sequence is:

1. touch and go

2. 3/4 (archer drill)

3. Hand lift

4. right arm lead

5. left arm lead

6. single switch

7. triple switch

8. hand lift

• Options

Nemo,

50 yrds each set...meaning, 50 yrds of #1, then of #2, etc...right?  In the OS Swim Hack book it says 8x that progression, which is 3200 yrds before including the warm up or even including the other progression, the propulsion progression.  THAT is what I was wondering about...that '8' can't be right.  That is like 4500-5000 yards!

• Options

The whole workout == 2750 yds

W/u= total 650 yds

MS:  8x {2x50 (15)}= 800 yds

1. touch and go (2x 50)=100 yd

2. 3/4 (archer drill)( 2x 50)

3. Hand lift ( 2x50)

4. right arm lead (2x50)

5. left arm lead (2x50)

6. single switch (2x50

7. triple switch (2x 50)

8. hand lift (2x 50)

then 2x 50 swim golf = 100 yd

5x {2x 50 (15)} propulsion progression= 500 yds

100 ez

2x 50 swim golf= 100 yd

6 x 50= 300  (25 hard/25 ez)

Total for Mainset =1900

C/d =200 EZ

Hope that clarifies it for ya

• Options

Tracy...you're my hero!  NOW I see!

Thanks for your input.

• Options

For me, to preserve myself, I cut 1000m off of that. I love to swim, and feel like you do Steve--do just enough to keep the feel, and be strong for the workouts that count. For me, 2,700 feel too much like in-season yardage (mentally), and who needs that in December!

• Options

FWIW, I have complete rewritten all of the swim workouts for the HIM and IM plans, and have created "cheat sheets" for the drill workouts.

All in all, a great improvement.

• Options
    Posted By Rich Strauss on 14 Dec 2009 11:25 AM

FWIW, I have complete rewritten all of the swim workouts for the HIM and IM plans, and have created "cheat sheets" for the drill workouts.

All in all, a great improvement.

Thanks Rich! especially cheat sheets

• Options

Where is this  or is it coming out in Jan 2010 ?

• Options
    Posted By william wiseman on 14 Dec 2009 11:38 AM

Where is this  or is it coming out in Jan 2010 ?

We are rewriting them now, will be done early January.