Home General Training Discussions
Options

Nordic Hack: Anyone X-C Skiing this winter?

Anyone planning to try to insert some X-C skiing/racing into their winter plan? Thoughts on how to do this? I would like to do a few races this winter, but even in Rochester which is pretty snowy races often get cancelled due to poor snow cover. Training on real snow can be hit or miss depending on weather too. Right now I'm planning to keep it pretty low key and just ski some here and there when I can as an OS supplement and jump into an odd race or two if its convenient. Might try to target the short (25KM) version of the Lake Placid Loppet on Feb 2nd.

Comments

• Options
    I'm planning some X-C skiing this year, assuming we get some snow! It's hit or miss the last few years. Last year we got hammered! Also planning some snowshoeing. Both will get the HR going! Seems to me that a good snow workout could substitute for a run...any thoughts out there?
  • Options

totally! winter is too long out here to not get out and enjoy it. pondering the jump to skate skiing, but I'd have to learn first.

• Options

I LOVE to ski, see my avatar.  Skating is close to biking and striding is closer to running physiologically.  It does not take the toll on the legs so you can do more without the fatigue penalty.  I am doing several races culminating in the American Birkebeiner in Wisconsin in February.  Any Chicago-Minnesota peeps in?

Dave

• Options
    Noodle and I are planning to do the Birkebeiner. I am also going to do the City of Lakes Loppet and the Pre Loppet. Both of those are in Minneapolis, which probably makes it one of the only urban x-country races you're going to find. The finish for the City of Lakes is within a couple miles of my house, so can't really not do that one. I've only x-country skied a few times, and I've never skated (on skis anyway...I coach hockey so skate on ice alot). My plan is to set up a regular date night with my wife to ski...probably going to be Wednesdays. If we get some snow I'm aiming for at least 1 weekend ski as well. I'm not planning to replace any workouts, but we'll see how I'm feeling when we get into the season. I have no idea if 2X/week will be enough preparation for 56K of skiing, but since I'll be putting in some longer running miles getting ready for Boston in April, I'm thinking the engine will be good to go.
  • Options
    Are there any good XC ski races close to NW IN? I'd love to do the Birkie, but am a once in a while skier, so need some practice! Chicago area or SW Michigan?
  • Options
    yes, i'm curious as to how xc skiing and also snowshoeing play into the OS. i just signed up for a college course that includes 6 saturdays of snoeshowing for 5-6 miles per day, so i don't know if this is just an addition to the OS or run substitution.
  • Options

Big snows coming to WI. Yay.  XC Sk near NW Indiana...go to Loves Creek Park in Niles MI. It's a micro climate and always gets great snow.  Has a 5k loop..nice.

I asked about xc ski hack and Rich said best to sub for run.

I live in Pewaukee WI (20 mins west of Milwauke and 50 mins east of Madison) ten mins from Hwy C and 94 where a mile south of 94 we have Lapham Peak State park which has a 5k loop lit at night. Total system is 11k I think.  Hilly.  To the north is Nashota  County park...nice 5k gentle roll loop.

I would think for snow shoe ..sub that for run for sure.  

Anyone is area who xc ski, plz send me direct message if you'd like to ski etc.  Happy flakes.

• Options

Go to Silent Sports magazine web site and they have a great xc ski race calendar. I think it's silentsports.net  but Google just to be safe.

• Options
    Thanks Pam! I will check out the calendar at Silent Sports. Enjoy the snow in WI!
  • Options

i am going to be at Eagle River b/t Christmas and NY.  Any one else in the area?

• Options
    That is Eagle River, WI.
  • Options

snow show running is a big kick in the ass kind of workout. takes some getting used to but very fun and very difficult in the varying snow conditions. image

there's a big hub of the national masters team up this way and they have their own impromptu 5k race series when it snows with their regular road running clubs. got handed some snow shoes and asked to come play one Saturday morning and honestly...thought I was going to be left for dead in the woods. hardest 5k of my life. definitely changed my outlook on it.

would love to do the birkie someday! just not enough time on the skiis yet.

• Options
    I used to XC ski when I was a kid. For the past several winters I've been doing some snowshoeing but really wanted to get back into XC. For whatever reason I never pulled the trigger on getting the gear. Well, I finally did it this year! I just picked up my skis this weekend, perfect timing for our first big snow this week (I'm in the north Chicago 'burbs). I'm going to see how it goes for a month or so playing around on a nice, long trail that goes right behind my house. I'd love to enter the Birkie - if not 2010 then definitely 2011. Bring on the snow!
  • Options

Snowing now in Rochester. Temp is going to fluctuate a bit and lots of wind over the next 48h, but might have enough to get out this weekend. Don't know if anyone will be grooming trails yet though.

• Options
    I'm late to this thread because I was on vacation in hot and humid Key West, FL. Only thing about snow that I was thinking about was how glad I was to not be in it. image

Happy to see fellow nordic lovers in here so I had to say 'hey!'

I love to do XC skiing and snowshoeing here in CO. The planned outing dictates whether I sub the snow playing for the planned workout or not. A nordic center outing on the classic skis often works well for me as a recovery, stretch things out kind of a session. Not so for a slog up an ungroomed incline on the backcountry skis. No sirree. Those days would have to be a sub. On the snowshoes, posthole hiking through the deep stuff is a leg cooker for me. Generally I'd rather be on the skinny skis than the snowshoes any day!

I'll be interested in hearing how you all fare in your ski racing and always love stories about good days on the trails!
  • Options
    We are starting to see good snow... finally. I have skate skis bit not been too serious about it in the past. I am looking at a small winter tri on New Years Eve as a way to bring in the new year. Hopefully the snow will continue and we can finally get outside!!
  • Options

Had a first ski yesterday here in Pewaukee Wi.  Couldn't believe I didn't go out on Saturday...I was more motivated to do my pain cave. OMG I'm EN-stitutionalized.  hahaha.

It was good to get on skis. So self hacked and did bike workout this morning instead of tomorrow and went out again xc this afternoon. What a bummer, it turned to a sheet of ice.  I don't like trying to xc ski on iced up snow so only stayed out half hour. Hopefully next weekend it will be better.  Tomorrow is a rest day and then it will be too cold so after I do saturday's bike I'll hit the trails.

Want more snow to get some freshy covering.

• Options

Keeping my fingers crossed to do a 5K freestyle race this weekend. Warm right now, but temps are supposed to drop over the next 24h and then some fresh snow for the weekend.