Home General Training Discussions
Options

Smaller intervals = same intervals

Okay, somewhat-basic question...

If the workout says 2x12', is that the same as 4x6'? Is 2x15' the same as 6x5'?  I understand that the 2x20' for FTP testing purposes cannot be substituted.

I understand that the TSS should be the same for both, and that the purpose is to be able to sustain your FTP at a higher level for a longer time, but if something happens that prevents you from doing the two larger intervals, can the higher volume of shorter intervals be used in the same manner?

As some of you have read, I don't do well on a trainer, much less for 2x12 or 2x15, but I can seem to nail the shorter intervals. Is work still work?

Comments

• Options

For both physiological and psychological reasons, the answer is "no". A few questions you might ask yourself: Have you tried riding at the lower end of the suggested range, e.g. 95% of FTP if the range is 95-100? Are you using the most recent FTP, even though it may be lower than earlier ones - sometimes outdoor FTPs wil be higher than indoor. Is there a time interval in the weekly progression where this starts to be a problem? That is, can you do 8 minute intervals and not 12 minute ones? Is there some external stressor, like missed sleep or excess work which is in play?

My practice has always been to set my effort level at whatever is needed to make it through all the intervals, for the full length/time of each. with no slowdown from first to last. even if I have to go slower (run) or lower watts (bike) than the workout requires. That really shouldn't be happening, though, given the gradual progression and low volumes in the OS plans.

• Options

Tomorrow I'm trying the longer intervals (2x12'), with my downgraded FTP, so I should know for sure if it's physiological or psychological response.

I've downgraded from a outside tri-bike FTP of 330 down to an inside trainer tri-bike FTP of 250 over the last several weeks, trying to find some value that I can hit all the prescribed intervals out.

I've had more luck lately with the 250, but only on the shorter intervals that I've broken down the bigger ones to, like the examples I've provided above.

My mental 6 pack for the inside trainer intervals isn't the strongest, I'll admit.

Geesh, I can't wait to be outside again!

• Options

Scott--did you test indoors? If you're going by guess work, you'll likely set values too high, not be able to hold the numbers, and get discouraged. I think that's the scenario you're in.

Do the 2x20. It sucks, but it will give you a baseline to work from. It will be lower than outside for sure, and maybe by a lot. Just discount it mentally and work from the data. You'll soon see those numbers trend upward. Up is up, whether inside or out. It will translate to outdoors when you get back on the roads. Retest outside when it's time, and you'll see yourself right back on track.

Somewhere in the way-back machine of 3.0, Rich has a great explanation of why longer is better. I'll see if I can dig it up.