Home Group Discussion-OutSeason November 2010
Options

Question for Nov crew

MS: 2 x 800, 2 x 1 mile all @ 5k Test pace with full recoveries between each.

The above is next Wednesday's workout.  It reads at 5K TEST pace.  My test pace is start at T pace, speed up and then holy smokes great balls of fire all out!!!!!   So this appears we are let off of our chains and choker collars and allowed to be "Timmy" for this workout.  I want to be sure I am seeing and interpreting this correctly.

Thanks Turkey's

Comments

• Options
    I have always ready it as divide your 5k pace across your distance to get an average pace for your last test and run at that pace. Either way, it is going to be a tough day!
  • Options

I agree with Stephen,  your 5 K pace is the average pace of your 5 K TT.  So with a Vdot of 46 your paces for these intervals should be approx.  6:50 pace.

• Options
    6:50 is the pace and the plan").

Thanks
  • Options
    TIMMMMMMAY!!!!!
  • Options

The week after is our next set of tests, isn't it? Maybe RnP want us to be Timmy to get us ready to push to a new higher level in our 5K?

• Options
    This is normal year after year torture RnP put us through. As Rubin said they do it the week before our 5k tests. BTW, its actually 3 x 1mi @ 5k pace for the advanced plan.
  • Options
    @ Matt. To be clear, do you think it's at our last 5k test pace or what we are aiming for in a few days 5K test pace?
  • Options
    @Elly, I have always done it at my last 5k test pace. However, for me last 5k pace vs next 5k pace is never more then a few seconds different so it really doesn't matter much.

FWIW, I always start my FTT or 5k test at the watts/pace I averaged for the last test and try to slowly get faster throughout the test. Again, I'm looking to 5 sec or 5 watt gains, not big huge numbers like others.
  • Options
    A few years ago I was running n the 18 min 5k's comfortably so I would really like to see a 2 point bump in this test but I am just not feeling it yet and not really wanting to push to the point of pulling or ripping something. Therefore I am planning on going out at a little faster pace (say 10 sec) than my mile pace and play with each .25 increments. My last test was 21:30 and I really was to break on through to the other side meaning 20:59. I hope and think and feel that may be doableimage
  • Options
    For what it's worth on this, I just double checked what I thought had been the case: my IP is exactly the same as my 5K test pace from my last test. Although that may vary a little bit with VDOT, it seems to me that 5K pace and IP are going to be very similar for most people.

The last couple of weeks, we have had one session that approached 3 mi of total IP, but admittedly broken up more.

What, if anything, am I missing here?
  • Options

The way I try to convince myself on this is, "Hey, I ran 3.1 miles straight and averaged this pace, so what's the big deal about running 1 mile at time with recovery in between at this pace?"   Right, whatever, it will still be work.................

• Options

The 1000s haven't been too bad so these will just last a bit longer.  Like Shaughn said, it will be like doing a test but you get to stop after each mile.  That sounds MUCH easier than test day.  

• Options
    Question about the VO2 workouts---- what do you all do to get "a full recovery between each" interval?

Thanks,
    Joe
  • Options
    Nothing specific for me...just walk until i feel caught back up on my breathing and before i start getting that lactic acid bulildup/tightening sensation, i will start z1 jogging for 30 seconds or so and then go into my next rep. Whatever it takes to feel ready to hit the next effort is what i take.
  • Options
    +1 on what Stephen said
  • Options
    I've been doing an equal distance of easy jogging. So, if the workout is 4x1000, I do an easy 1000 between each.

The Advanced plan for this Wednesday is:
    MS: 3 x 1 mile (5') @ 5k Test pace with full recoveries between each.

Our's actually specifies 5'.
  • Options
    Yeah...this is an area where there is one thing to remember - hitting the intervals as prescribed is what is important. So, as long as you are doing that, you are okay (w/in reason - don't walk for 15 minutes between each!).