Home Group Discussion-OutSeason November 2010
Options

Week 13 bike

Well I had the best damn bike of this whole off season and my CycleOps is telling my memory is full so I can't transfer anything.  Does anyone know how to delete the memory from this device, please help!!!!

I rode for a total of 61 min.  Ten min warm up then 5x2.5's...Goal is 225...Hit 238, 236, 229, 242, and 238.

Then rode for 25 min and here I played around...I did 10x 1 min hitting 220 -230 each time, then 5x30sec at 230-300 each time.  When not pushing the bar I promise I was in zone three for the rest.  

I am so frustrated cause I wanted to see the numbers and IF factor for this.... summary reads Power detail: Ave watts for 61 min was 159, Max watts 440, Norm power was 183.  Not sure what the TSS was or IF....

Gives me an IF of 1.15!!!!  I'm loving it.    Using this formula (TSS = (sec x NP x IF)/(FTP x 3600) x 100) I get a 112 for my TSS

Called the company regarding the memory full and what a mess anywho....hopefully its fixed..had to remove the battery and replace it..cleared everything...I hop

Comments

• Options
    @Carl, man you killed it! Great work!!! I have a confession....with a 30' indoor TT coming up this weekend and a long run, I turned off the 2.5s today in favor of 2 x 15'; I did 335, 335 (103% FTP), so have some hopes for a boost next week. Get it done everyone!
  • Options
    Lousy night's sleep waking up at 3am and unable to fall back asleep. Still managed to knock out 6x2:30/2:30 @ 121% followed by remainder @ 86%. 1h @ IF 0.94. I swear some of my best rides have been after getting little sleep. Perhaps I'm too tired to think about how much these hurt while I'm doing them.

Nice work Carl! Assuming you're using the LYC you should just be able to hold the Mode and Select buttons simultaneously for 2 sec until you see Clr. When you see that text release the buttons and data in the LYC should be gone and you should be good to go.
  • Options
    I didn't have it in me this morning. I got 2x2.5 and on the third crashed. My legs are still feeling the 8mi running race this weekend. I woke up with time to do both the bike and the run. I am going postpone the run until this afternoon.
  • Options
    I'm doing the same TT as Coach P - I think I may do what he did also. Skip the Vo2 this week and possibly make it up next week.
  • Options

Stuck with 15x1:00/1:00 but upped my erg file to 123%. Nailed them all. Skipped the 85% but ran 4 miles in 30 minutes.

Nice work Carl! Good call on backing off Jon.

• Options

Got a tweaked hammy so no V02m work today. Will see how it feels, but FTP work shoul be fine.

nice work Carl and Aaron!

• Options

Hit the marks but a bit tough due to 5 trips to the bathroom last night (stomach virus or something.)  I think it's gone now.... getting...stronger............will run this afternoon cuz I ran out of time.....

Good luck today all.....!!

Entire workout (228 watts):

Duration: 1:01:22

Work: 840 kJ

TSS: 87.5 (intensity factor 0.929)

Norm Power: 258

• Options
    I'm finding that, in addition to their other benefits, these workouts provide an excellent opportunity to practice dealing with the "Why oh why am I doing this???" question.
    18' warmup
    5 x 2.5' @ 272/275/275/275/274W (target 269), HR 158/162/164/167/167
    17' @ 184W (0.82), cadence 89, HR 153
    Total bike 60', TSS 80.2 (0.89)
    Run 30' incl 10 x 30" strides @ 10MPH, 11' @ Z2 8.5MPH
  • Options

I had a disappointing bike this morning. Just didn't quite have it in the legs. I soldiered on with the level of effort I could sustain, figuring I was getting at least some good training effects, even if I couldn't hit the 120% target.

6 x 2.5' @ 120, 116, 119, 115, 112, 112%

18' @ 80%

I only got 6 hrs sleep, and I could very well be fatigued from the XC skiing. I'm also not a morning person! If I continue to have trouble this week I'm going to take and extra rest day this weekend.

• Options
    @Kevin: too funny... and oh so true

Good news/bad news for me this morning. The good news is that the VO2 is definitively feeling a tiny, little, smidge easier. The bad news is that I added to my recent string of being unable to get the 80-85% work done this morning. While V02 is a skosh more doable, I am having trouble modulating my effort on the top end which I am sure is affecting my ability to do the 80-85% work after... have to (would like to) beleive that if I *just* (ha) did 120% I would have a better shot at getting the rest of the work done... might be time to dump the real course videos and fire up my first ever erg file...

1 X 2.5 - 1.26
    1 X 2.5 - 1.22
    1 X 2.5 - 1.23
    1 X 2.5 - 1.22
    1 X 2.5 - 1.24

1 X 7 (yeesh) - 0.82

Running later today
  • Options
    Got 'er done this morning too. 5x2.5s with 5 extra watts on the last minute of each. (I do these in ERG mode) 10 minutes of 85%. Then the 30 minute run with the 10 pick ups. The run was hard today - noticed the difference in Z2 over Z1 and in the 10 strides vs. 5 and the 30 minutes vs. the 15 or 20. It all adds up!

---Ann.
  • Options
    Glad to be back at it with you guys. At least I guess in a sick kinda way. Not sure taking down time then back to it with this workout was smart or not but I gave it a whirl. I lowered my FTP by 10 watts to see if I could hold them numbers and did ok all except the 5th and 6th I had to cut it to 2 min. Cause the lungs wouldn't let me go any further. Good feeling knowing the legs felt like that had it just not the lungs, but they'll come back quick.

I'll test out the running legs tomorrow but feel confident.

Amazing to see all you peeps crushing this hard work like crazy.
  • Options
    Felt awful climbing onto bike and during warm-up. Then hit 10' @ .85 which felt fairly good. 5 x 2.5/2.5 then went great. All in the 119%-121% range except the last one where I got a little crazy as I upped the last 30" about 50w. That's gonna leave a mark tomorrow.
  • Options
    I got up like usual at 5 this morning and got on the bike. Although I felt like crap, I wrote it off as not sleeping well and because I took the day off. I did the full warm up as I told myself I would never skip a workout without at least doing the warm up. Well during the warm up my heart rate was much higher than usual and 85% felt like FTP. I tried to do the first 2.5 and made it about 30" before the clock started to go backwards ... so I quit and went back to bed. First failed or skipped workout since Nov 1st.

I read everyone's post this morning, saw you guys crushing it and got my ass back on the trainer this afternoon.

Thanks to the motivation from all of you, I NAILED IT. All 6 at 345 or higher, target is 342! I had to get back to work and could not fit the run in so my perfect OS record is now gone as I skipped the brick today, but I'm happy I got back on the bike and did that at least.
  • Options

Love reading these post of Ironmen getting it done!  I was able to squeak in the run portion this afternoon:

connect.garmin.com/activity/65148305

• Options
    Got my ride in a little later in the day then I wanted to but I got it done. As a matter of fact, my legs were well done when I finished. I did 10 min of Z3 but that's all had left.

45:00 0.929
    5x 2.5 's: 1.195/1.212/1.206/1.198/1.222
    10': 0.814

• Options
    Great job everyone!!!
  • Options

I have no idea what I did, , didn't feel like vo2m work so pushed FTP+ to gauge what i should attempt next week. I know what it is not now 

57' @ .923 

Have a pretty good idea what I should attempt now. 

• Options
    I got the 5 2.5's done@ 120%. First 3 went OK, then had to extend the rest interval to pull off the last 2. Is it just me, or do these seem to be getting harder? I did overachieve a bit on the last one. Target was 275, and I averaged 280, but man was I hurting. Beginning to be able to hit higher cadences and I'm liking that. Averaging 85-90 on most intervals. Was hoping after a weekend of travel and no workouts, the rest would have me fresh and ready to kill it. I actually think the downtime from Thursday till today left me a bit rusty.
  • Options
    It was my boys 6th b day so making waffles took precedence over the intervals this morning. Did not get at it til almost 8:30. Held the first 3 together than then started dying and went to 8x1:00/1:00. Held all those together at 380 plus with the last 2 at 405 and 398. Got off the bike at 42 minutes and ran 4 miles, 3 at ep and one at mp. Just kinda got bored and wanted it to be over so ran faster at the end.

Felt good to get it done. Getting up at 4 for the 6:00 flight is going to suck!

@Mancona - weak :-)
  • Options

I was going to post today's workout until I saw that I had to follow Chris G.

I'll wait til tomorrow. I just can't follow those numbers!

• Options
    Nah...what the hell.

late start for me, too. no fluff, perfect EN style.
    10' hi cadence warmup
    5x 2.5''s were 253, 253, 255, 260, 271
    then 5' at 175 (IF .84)

then to the treadmill for an z1 20'

c ya tomorrow.
  • Options
    @ Chris H - HTFU dude! Don't be scared of him.... he may blow the doors of a lot of us, but he'll do it with a smile and words of encouragement!

First bike session since Thrusday and went OK. Little harder than I'd hoped after all that rest, but, it is what it is......

133.7% 71.2%
    119.5% 59.0%
    125.4% 61.5%
    118.0% 34.6%
    116.1% 27.8%

Then 25' @ 181 (0.882)
    Total bike 1:05 @ 190 (0.928)

Ran easy - still nursing a calf issue and trying to get my run legs back. Didn't feel done at 30' so just kept going for a while longer. Ended up with 6 miles, most @ 8:34 (my comfy pace) in 51:38.

The fatigue that has been poking at me seems to be better after skipping 2 workouts last week. Hope to get all the work done this week in prep for the up coming tests.

Nice work everyone! Get ready to give 'em hell next week!
  • Options
    @chris - thanks for the laugh.
  • Options
    @ChrisG - yes my perfect OS record is now ruined as I missed one brick run, but I think it was the right choice as I was able to nail the wednesday run at 5am today.

FWIW, instead of making up the run last night I did masters swim and set two more PRs....3 x 300 SCY at 4:03, 4:06, 4:06 and we did a ton of 100s on 1:30 and I was under 1:21 for all of them including at least 3 at 1:18 and curshed myself on the last one and pulled off a 1:13 at the end of 3200 yards. Lats and arms are sore today!
  • Options
    Wow some monster numbers up there! Great work by all.

@ Chris G you are impacting the temp of the planet with all those watts!
    @ Matt A. At the rate your swim is improving, Macca will have to chase your feet in the practice swims!

Yesterdays bike reflected the legs that were still sore from some extra work on the week end.

122%,121%,120, 109%, 112%

In review of the data file after I see that in the 4th set I fell out of my cadence and struggled bad. But the HR was 15 bps below where I finished the third rep. I think this was more a mental lapse than physical based on the HR levels. Took it easy on the run – wanted to get some life back in them for the run today.

• Options
    6x2.5's ended up as 8x1.5's + 3x1's, all at 1.20 to 1.28 IF. That's 15 minutes total, as prescribed. Yowza, hurt so good!

.88 overall for 60mins. DONE! NEXT!
  • Options

DONE!!

2.5 x 5 (225) 226, 226, 228, 231, 227

Then road for:

Duration: 25:01

Work: 242 kJ

TSS: 32.2 (intensity factor 0.879)

Norm Power: 164

Entire Workout:

Duration: 1:00:54 (1:01:13)

Work: 512 kJ

TSS: 83.6 (intensity factor 0.91)

Norm Power: 170

• Options
    Thinking I'm hitting that 2/3 done and losing mental mojo phase. Either that or adding too much skiing is really caught up with me. After the debacle running yesterday I followed that up with a debacle on the bike this morning. Only managed 2 of the 6 VO2 intervals. I didn't give up completely though, and went ahead and did ~30' at ~88%. Just didn't have it today. Thinking I need to add some sleep and maybe drag Noodle over here for a little group workout to get the mojo back!s
  • Options
    @ Bill. I think a number of us here and in other O/S groups may be feeling the cummulative effects of the O/S workouts and the winter sports activities we're adding on. The snowboarding I do on weekends has been wrecking me not only from the physical aspect of being on the slopes but the lack of sleep on the weekend from getting up early to drive to the mountain (instead of being able to sleep in a little). Been trying, unsuccesfully, to add some extra sleep as well. At the point of throwing in an extra rest day if I don't feel recovered after tomorrow.

This morning I went in knowing there was no way I was going to be able to make 2:30's. Legs are heavy, crispy, toasty, fried. Wrote a new ERG file doing 1:30/1:30 alternating with 1:00/1:00. Got the 15' of work in without having to deal with cracking and throwing in rest breaks mid interval to get through. Followed it up with a little over an hour outside cleaning up the latest dumping (12+ inches) of snow we received overnight. Would be a great day if I didn't have to now head into work.