Home Group Discussion-OutSeason November 2010
Options

Week 13 bike

13»

Comments

• Options
    Posted By Dan Gilliatt on 29 Jan 2011 01:50 PM

@Carl-

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4867909&id=521003656&fbid=433167853656

So this is how your morning started? Yes, that really is my grandfather.

Thanks Gilliatt Great pic though.....

We just got back from the monsterous hills of sleepy hollow...had a great time...

• Options

70+ degrees in Dallas today. Gorgeous!!!

Don't worry though, it's only lasting thru the weekend. We're supposed to hit mid-30s again by Tuesday.

Hit the local 'hill' for the V02 work today. It only takes about 55 seconds to climb the whole thing, so I did it 16 times, everywhere from 1.16 to 1.29 IF (one minute average bounces all over the place) of my outside FTP.

Then I did it 3 times standing out of the saddle, for kicks, with 1.33, 1.36 and 1.36 IFs.

Rounded off the rest of my 2:10 with as much .85+ as I could.

Recovery shake, lunch, shower and nap calling my name!

Good times in Dallas today.

• Options
    Posted By Rob Allen on 29 Jan 2011 12:34 PM

On a positive note the VO2 work is done!!!!!!

Done for today, but not for the OS.  Next Saturday's bike is going to HURT with our new, improved zones! 

• Options
    Got mine down today. 4x2.5, 2x1.5 then 2x1 to get all the work done. Hour total at .93. Ran 30 minute and then skinny skied for a little more than an hour. Lots of fun except for falling on my face. Not even sure how it happened but hit my head harder than i would have liked. Can't test on monday so thinking about running longish in the morning.
  • Options
    Got mine down today. 4x2.5, 2x1.5 then 2x1 to get all the work done. Hour total at .93. Ran 30 minute and then skinny skied for a little more than an hour. Lots of fun except for falling on my face. Not even sure how it happened but hit my head harder than i would have liked. Can't test on monday so thinking about running longish in the morning.
  • Options
    I went outside to play today, shot a little bit from the hip but got 4x2.5' z5ons in the ride. First time playing outside with the PM. Had some questions about it. I'm gonna copy/paste what I just put in the Power and Pace Forum....

Random thoughts here regarding how wrong I've been...

First time on my usual 50 miler today. Rolling hills, pretty windy. 45-50 degrees. FTP 205 tested around 3 weeks ago when I first got the Quarq/Joule setup.

I would have bet the ranch that I had this route under control with HR/RPE over the last 5 years. I NOW know another reason why I have plateaued. I was VERY wrong about my correlation to effort and actual watts. Nothing but matches getting burned over every hill. Rollers are tough to gauge, so I hear. 50w-185w-376w-268w-423w- and so on, climbing for 3-8 (ish) minutes and crest and a couple of minutes of 10w and hammering the descents to get 110w.
    After looking at WKO+, its embarrassing how ugly the graph is. I can't 'create a range' anywhere, despite efforting 4x 2.5' z5. It's that erratic and uncontrolled. Hills that I would have thought would be reading 105-110% FTP were really going 150-200%. If EN climbing is in the range of 105%, then I'd be shooting for, give or take, 220-225w. Yet, steadily climbing in reality anywhere from 290-500. I'm not saying my PM is in need of calibration. I think it's my head/lungs/legs that are in need of quality control!
    About 2.5 hrs of riding, of what I thought was a less aggressive ride than usual. BUT, the TSS came thru at 275, IF of 1.05, VI of 1.2, and Pnorm of 218.
    So, correct me if I'm wrong, I may have plateaued cuz I ALWAYS rode these hills with one hard pace in mind, despite choosing to believe it was easy and appropriate. Too high of TSS week in and week out, and not enough recovery time means crappy S/B/R for days to follow, [I must have been ( or still am ) in denial], providing good general fitness but not progressing in the ways I'm looking for.

I WAS going to do the bikeFTP test tomorrow evening. Might still. If legs are sore, will hold off til Mon or Tues.

This has been just a small peek into why I fail at self coaching, and why I'm happy to be in da Haus. Wow, I gotta a lot to learn.

Also, why is the Joule not giving me an accurate reading on speed? CycleOps Speed/Cad sensor set to spd. Joule is paired. Correct spd/cad sensor is activated. But, my spd readings were way off. I know the pace only cuz I know the course and the time ridden. What's up with the speed sensor?

• Options
    I had my day all planned out. It was bed at midnight on Friday night so 0-dark-30 wasn't an option. But it was on the calendar... 3:30-5:30 pm for me. Temps were to be above freezing and the roads are clearing, so i was even going to do my run outside. Until 3:30, it was countless errands and kids activities.

Ultimately, I was foiled by one of my wife's most favorite annual activities...judging at the annual Science Bowl. It went long, so I found out at a very bad time that I had to pick the kids up at a very bad time, and there went my 2 hour block. Frustrating, but I earned a few points. (She even said she owed me... ) :-)

Got in most of an hour and all of the 2.5s. At least that felt good. Only dark on the last one, and not even really that bad.

Target 300= 120%

307, 312, 314, 311, 312, 326 (1.31!)

We'l see how that test goes Monday!