Home General Training Discussions
Options

Garmin 301XT and Current Pace

I finally decided to join the Garmin club - got a 310XT.  After using it a few times, I'm not totally sold on it's usefulness, so  have some questions on best way to use it.  I've used a Nike Triax Elite (footpod) for the past 6 years.  The footpod is not the most accurate (probably because I don't calibrate it and my stride changes with speed), but it is very steady and consistent in it's pace readings.  I've learned how much off it is at each speed (watch says 6:40 pace, I know it's a 6:50).

With the Garmin, the current pace is almost useless due to it's fluctuations.  Almost never holds an even pace even if I'm running steadily.  I've followed suggestions and setup the lap pace which gives an average of the current lap - but within that lap there is no way to see if I've slowed or sped up.  Even when it holds close to accurate pace, it changes +/- 5 seconds / mile.

I've gotten very used to glancing at my watch to see my current pace, and feel like I can't reliably use the Garmin for this.  I can see an average pace over the last 6-7 minutes (a mile lap), but not current.

I'm in open ground when I'm using it, so no problem with satelite reception -

Question - how do others use the GPS based watches  I know it's a great tool to post-analyze runs, but during runs, I like to try and nail my pace exactly to the workout.  Am I too caught up in the current pace and shouldn't worry so much about it.  Most of my current workouts are at the track so I can pace myself with simple stop-watch (the Garmin is off on the 1/4 mile due inaccuracy around the curves), but for road workouts I like the pacing.

It's an expensive training tool, but maybe not the right tool for me.  I rarely have time to post-analyze my runs, so seeing maps of my runs is not a necessity.  What I want is a simple watch to accurately track distance and pace for interval work on and off the track.

So, guess I need some assistance on how to best use the watch based on the experience of others.

Comments

• Options

Don't have time to answer every question right now, but:

- I set my data fields to show 4 fields and along with current pace I have "average pace" in the display.  Average pace is what I focus on when running flats.  Definitely less jumpy the current pace.

John

• Options
    I have been using garmins for years now so maybe I am just used to them but I have no such issues. I have pace and lap pace [set for a mile] on the top 2 lines and can hold whatever I need. I know that I am speeding up when the lap pace is falling and vice versa. I honestly do not look at the pace all that much as I can just kinda tell how fast I am running within 10 seconds or so. That is close enough. I had a polar with a foot pod prior and did not think it was any different.

If you want a better rolling average you can set the lap for 1/4 mile and then the average lap pace might be more to your liking.

GPS is limited when running on a track, why are most of your runs on a track? With a gps you do not need to run on a track. Did I mention that I hate running on a track?

After having a 201, 205, 405 and now 310 as well as several polars and a timex hrm with gps [yes I have a problem] I am convinced that gps and the 310 generally is by fat the best tool.
  • Options
    Been using the FR310xt since August and the FR305 before that, you can eventually a feel for the pace display, kinda like watching the watts on power meter (it may require mor than a cursory glance though). Definitely set unit to auto lap notify you every mile and take a look at the pace as you go through each mile. You might want to keep an eve on Lap Pace, but you should eventually get the hang of using the vanilla pace.
  • Options

With my 310xt my rtss on my runs are always in the 100,000 when I download into wko. Anyone know a fix?

thanks

• Options
    Posted By Jeff Kelley on 18 Dec 2009 03:53 PM

With my 310xt my rtss on my runs are always in the 100,000 when I download into wko. Anyone know a fix?

thanks

Jeff, is your threshold pace correctly set in WKO?  If not your rTSS could be way off.  Just enter whatever your TP from the EN data tool and then see if that fixes it.

• Options

@ Matt

Total genius! After 2 e-mails to training peaks with no satisfaction all it takes is a en power geek to fix it.

Thanks jeff

n