Home General Training Discussions
Options

Shimano Di2 system experience

Just got a new road bike frame and starting the process of building it up.  Really intriged about the Di2 system and was thinking about making it apart of an awesome build on the Pinarello Prince.  Just don't know anyone around my area who has tried it and can let me know first hand what they think and how good it really is.  The reviews on it look really good and if I did this to the road bike and it is as they say I might upgrade the tri bike as dropped chains in races for me have cost me more than once.

Thanks for any imput if anyone knows.

Comments

• Options

Trent!   Bring on the bling! 

Seriously, keep us informed of the progress on the build, especially if you decide to do the full Di2 leap. 

• Options
    I am interested as well but a little scarred to be the first kid on the block with the stuff. I have no lbs that I trust to do good work on regular stuff let alone Di2. I think that if I had a shop in the area that had been working on it for a while I would go for it. Being able to shift gears on the bullhorns and the aeorbars would be very cool.
  • Options

Our lbs has recently set up both a road bike and tri bike with the electronic shifting and I had the opportunity to play with both.  The shifting is absolutely amazing - you can shift smoothly under a full load heading up a hill with no problems. The battery life also seems very impressive.  The little electronic noise it makes as the derailer adjusts, rather than the clicking we are used to, is pretty cool as well.

The tri bike set up, with all the various wires, ect seemed a bit messy and non aero.  The electronic shifting was set up on a new P4 and the lbs modified the integrated water bottle to hold the battery.  That said, there still seemed to be a lot of wires and connectors hanging and flapping in the wind, but the shifting, like the road bike setup was truly amazing.  I also liked the additional ability to shift while standing up and out of the aero position with an easy click via the brake hoods.

• Options

Thanks Al,  I think I may go for it on the new road bike first and see how it goes, if it is worth it then I'll maybe invest for the tri bike as well.  I do have a very good lbs with 2 really kick butt mechanics that I just called about this and they have installed about 5 of them and say it is no problem.

I'll keep you posted Chris to how it goes and wether its worth it.  Just wish I could get some EN discount on this purchase as the cost is a little steep but everyone I talked too who has it say it is worth every penny.  We'll see.

• Options
    Trent...I have been also looking at building a bike with Di2. Glad I'm not the only nut in the house.

Here's my thoughts. I am not sure the true advantages wtih a road bike as it is a little heavier and in regards to dropped chains the biggest issue I have had is dropping the chain inboard and sucking between the inner ring and the BB area of the frame during an Aquabike 08. The chain was wedged in and it took me 8-10 mins (as I quit trying for awhile figuring I couldn't get it undone) to rip it out of there...gouging the carbon fiber of my bike in process. I purchased a chain catcher from a company (rotor is offering one now that is cheaper and lighter for $30) and inboard drops are a thing of the past.

Now, for a TT bike (as that is the only thing I race with) it makes some sense. The wires are smaller in diameter than cables, will make tighter bends so they are less likely to cause air disturbance and can be taped down (ugly but more aero) if need be with packaging take rather than zip-ties. Also, if you are racing a course that involves some sitting up for climbing the choice of shifting at both the barend and brake lever is really appealing to me (think World's toughest half where there are a few 17% short climbs followed by downhillers then rollers).

A buddy of mine was sent to Kona as a guest of T3 mattress company this past October. He was comp'd an Orbea TT bike with full Di2 and just loved it! He is dying to get me to buy the set up but I do not pay retail and haven't found a reasonable enough price yet.

Please keep us posted.

Vince
  • Options

Trent, I think if you're putting together a build on a Prince, you are pretty much obliged to go the full Superbike and go with the Di.  I don't think you even need to ride the thing - just let it sit there and look fast. 

• Options
    not sure if reasonable is the right word but probikekit has the di2 stuff a bit cheaper than some other sources