Home General Training Discussions
Options

Need Help From Vegetarians in the Group

Hi All,

My son and his GF are veg, and I'd like to fix them nice things to eat for Xmas dinner. What do you like for a big holiday meal? What will you be eating? And if you have recipes and don't mind sharing, I will be very grateful!

Comments

• Options

I'll send you some. I was a vegetarian for 15 years. I went on the chuck wagon last year. Karin and Clare still are. We have a lot of good recipes.

• Options

Thanks! They might have a bite of meat if I can assure them I bought it at our CSA (which I do). But I can't rely on a bite to get them through the weekend!

• Options

if i had to pick some favorite veg. meals/food items i'd say the following:

1. rice, black bean, cheese burrito with cilantro, grilled veggies, pico, and lots of guacomole

2. go to a health food store and buy seitan--it's a meat substitute that you can cut up and lightly fry--you then have options of what to do with it...eat it fried with rice pilaf and a veggie or prepare it similar to how you would a beef stroganoff using a mushroom types sauce

3. tofu, rice, broccoli in a tai peanut sauce. you can either deep fry the tofu or, what works best is searing (sp?) it-- take a pan and put it on the stove on med/high heat--do not oil the pan. cut tofu into thin pieces and press the water out of them. place in pan and cook until brown. you can also put this type of tofu in chicken wing sauce--red hot, butter, etc.

4. lentils and rice.

5. there are some good soup recipes out there--squash or broccoli. i don't know the exact recipe, but they come out like a cream soup, but instead of using cream the thickening comes from roasted cashews. you roast the squash by putting it in the oven for about 45 minutes, then cook the other veggies in a broth---put it all in the blender with the cashews or something like that--I'll ask my wife how she does it and see if I can give you more guidance.

6. apple pie

7. make a casserole

• Options

I was a vegetarian for seven years.

Best decadent vegetarian food? Martha's mac and cheese.

Curried roast cauliflower soup.

Spinach phyllo pie.

• Options

You can try these Veggie dishes from the 2005 class of CHIC, from Vegetarian Times feature. I hear Chef Hayes Sanborn has talent. 

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/...ntent;col1

• Options

You mean there are people who don't eat PORK  what is this world coming to.  I have nice reciepe I have made I will dig it out and send it to you.

• Options

We are not veggie, but my Italian family always has lasagna. Instead of meat sauce I found a sauce made with pine nuts that my vegetarian company loved and we used broccoli, mushrooms, and eggplant as other fillers. (Zucchini works but I don't like it in this dish.) The sauce is from Foodnetwork.com.

• Options
    I've recently become a huge fan of 101cookbooks.com, a blog that is entirely vegetarian. She uses a lot of wheat flours and other ingredients that are hard(er) to find in regular grocery stores but substitutions with more mainstream ingredients is possible (I've done it many times). The pictures are amazing!
  • Options

I was a vegetarian for 18 years and my favorite Holiday meal is a butternut squash, sage and fontina gratin. It is a heck of a lot of work, but that is what makes it a special meal. Let me know if you are interested and I will send you the receipt.

• Options

Exactly what kind of vegetarians are they?   Pescatarian?  Ovo-Lacto?  Vegan?  There term tends to mean different things to different people.  

Assuming they are Ovo-Lacto, Michele's recommendation for Lasagna would work out great and that's what we've done for family celebration meals around here too.  I use soy berger crumbles from Morning Star (in the frozen food section) instead of meat and it turns out great.

Great thread Linda!  I'm always looking for new ideas!

Matt- I'd love to have copies of whatever recipes you have too. 

• Options

We aren't vegetarians, but we do enjoy the Moosewood Cookbooks which are probably 98% vegetarian.

• Options

Thanks all for the thoughts and recs. I'll let you know what I come up with as a final meal plan. I never thought this would turn out to be a resource greater than bailing me out, but I'm glad others will refer to it and get ideas. I think my son eats eggs, and I think fish. Seems to me that Delilah lives on air, an occasional lettuce leaf and apples. I'll have an asssortment of things to pick from. Hopefully, she won't starve.

There's also the food traps of these two disapproving of where the food is grown, how it's grown, or where it is bought. "This was probably trucked 50 miles--you probably could have gotten something more local." Oy. It's not quite that bad--but almost. And this is with parents who are in a meat CSA, eat no meat/dairy at least 1day/week to help the environment, and are aware and sensitive to the issues. They are tough customers, those two. image

• Options

Have you seen the commercials about donating blood?

One commercial is something like: I decided to boycott jeans that are made in sweatshops, so I started posting flyers about the cause. Then I found out that the paper company was involved in cutting down rainforests so I had to boycott the paper company. Then I found out that by doing that, I put thousands of people out of work, most of which were underage kids in rainforests trying to save enough money to buy jeans made in sweatshops...Then the ad says "saving the world is hard. Saving a life is easy"

Or something like that. Great commercial!

And when you think about it, many of us want to do "something" so we focus on hybrid cars and organic foods and those kinds of things. How great to turn that energy and enthusiasm into doing things that really matter...like donating blood or donating time to charities. I guess the mantra of "think globally, act locally" works out pretty well.

• Options

James,  I agree. Having those conversations with two very idealistic 20-somethings who are trying to live the moral life and make the right decisions in every way can make your mind explode. They are so well meaning, but have no idea how insular their world really is. God love 'em.

• Options
    Posted By Linda Patch on 10 Dec 2009 03:30 PM

Thanks all for the thoughts and recs. I'll let you know what I come up with as a final meal plan. I never thought this would turn out to be a resource greater than bailing me out, but I'm glad others will refer to it and get ideas. I think my son eats eggs, and I think fish. Seems to me that Delilah lives on air, an occasional lettuce leaf and apples. I'll have an asssortment of things to pick from. Hopefully, she won't starve.

There's also the food traps of these two disapproving of where the food is grown, how it's grown, or where it is bought. "This was probably trucked 50 miles--you probably could have gotten something more local." Oy. It's not quite that bad--but almost. And this is with parents who are in a meat CSA, eat no meat/dairy at least 1day/week to help the environment, and are aware and sensitive to the issues. They are tough customers, those two.

I don't suppose that just telling them it's all organic food purchased at the farmer's market on the corner of your block would appease them? Or better yet, tell them you raised it all yourself hydroponically under the stairs? ROFLMAO!!!

• Options

I am looking forward to/dreading these kinds of conversations with my lil dude...now only 15 months but VERY headstrong. Oy!