Home Group Discussion-OutSeason November 2010
Options

Half Marathon Execution - setting goal pace?

Finishing up Nov Int OS.  I have a Half Marathon scheduled for the end of week 20 on March 20th.  My question is about execution.  Kind of a follow on from Jim's thread on his half marathon.

Some history: ran my first open HM on Oct 17, 1:52:31 for a vdot of 39. Week 8 5k test vdot of 40, week 14 5k test vdot of 42.  I have been extending my Sunday runs for the past 4 weeks as per the HM hack.  Then I ran a 10k race, Hyannis on Feb 27 without changing training schedule; terrible execution on my part, tons of runner traffic for me, pretty disappointed. Vdot of 40.  My week 18 runs felt horrible after the race, struggled to hit my numbers.  Then, last Sunday and this week's runs felt really good. 

I am not an experienced distance racer. How should I execute the race? I will use the EN protocol for the race, adding time to the first three miles, and ramping up to race pace, but what pace? What should I use as my goal pace?  Vdot of 42 or 40?   This is not a priority race for me, but I want to do well and learn something.  I would even consider pushing it, even if I blow up. 

Thanks, John

Comments

• Options
    I replied in the other thread, but as an add on, I also had horrible run tests during the OS - some giving me a Vdot of 40, some lower. However, I stuck with the pacing for a vdot of 40 after the second test because it felt right - I could hit those paces, felt like I was getting a good workout, but not killing myself. On the long runs leading up to the half, I tried to get in extra HMP running, working up to about 40 minutes of HMP running (in addition to the normal TP intervals) on my longest run that lasted 1:50. It sounds like you are in the same place. So that would mean going with your vdot 42 HIM pace, maybe 3 - 5 seconds slower, as a goal pace? During the race I started out slower and ramped up over the first three miles as in the wiki, and made up for that in the end, pushing as hard as possible. I had 2 gels on the run - one at 40 min and the other at about 80 min. I had a fuel belt, so drank my own water as well (probably not enough). I just blew by the aid stations, preferring not get out of my rhythm fooling cups and people in the way, etc.
  • Options
    John I would go with the 3 - 7 - 3 pacing method based off you 42 Vdot. First 3 miles add 15-3- seconds to your goal pace. Next 7 run at goal pace. Last 3 give it everything. You will be using a similar strategy during your HIM runs so why not test it out here?
  • Options

Jim, thanks for the replies, in both threads. It looks like you executed with EN ninja skill. I hope I can come close.

Tucker, you are right, this is training race for me, and I will use it as a test.